David & Diana R

Do we need Philippine Passport Prior to Starting Process?

8 posts in this topic

My wife and I were married in Philippines on September 25,2012. My wife is attempting to get our Marriage Certificate at Cebu NSO as I type this. She has been there 5 times already and no one seems to want to help. We can't apply for her Passport yest because we do not have the Marriage Certificate yet. She already has an appointment for a passport application in about 3 weeks. We hope to have the marriage certificate in hand prior to that appointment. Can I begin the spouse visa process yet or do I have to wait until we have a the passport in hand? I need some direction here. Everything is so confusing I don't know where to start.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

She needs the passport by the time you start the document intake at NVC.

That's at least 6 months down the road, after filing with USCIS.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

My wife and I were married in Philippines on September 25,2012. My wife is attempting to get our Marriage Certificate at Cebu NSO as I type this. She has been there 5 times already and no one seems to want to help. We can't apply for her Passport yest because we do not have the Marriage Certificate yet. She already has an appointment for a passport application in about 3 weeks. We hope to have the marriage certificate in hand prior to that appointment. Can I begin the spouse visa process yet or do I have to wait until we have a the passport in hand? I need some direction here. Everything is so confusing I don't know where to start.

You don't need to wait for her to get a passport before you could jumpstart the application. You may want to look at this guide to help you through: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse

A few other things:

1. Usually, the Marriage Certificate from NSO will only be available 6 months after the wedding date. There are cases, however, that requests can be made to expedite it. I just don't know how it can be done, I just waited and requested after 6 months.

2. You don't need the Marriage Certificate from NSO yet when filing the I-130 at USCIS. You just need a copy of the Marriage Certificate from the Local Registrar. The NSO one will be needed during the NVC stage.

3. Your wife may need to contact DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs, passport issuing agency) if she needs to attend the CFO seminar prior to getting a passport. This is required for Filipinos newly married to a foreigner. I was married for 9 months already when I renewed my passport to have it in my married name, when I inquired, I was told I need not attend the seminar. So I'm not sure if it's a requirement only for those married for less than 6 months or something, she may need to confirm this, just to be sure.

Good luck!

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Can I begin the spouse visa process yet or do I have to wait until we have a the passport in hand?

Yes, you can begin the process even if she doesn't have a passport yet.

Regarding the NSO MC, your wife should have applied for ADVANCE ENDORSEMENT to expedite the processing. I got our NSO MC 2 months after we got married (refer to my signature).

I used NSO MC to change my Driver's License and Passport to my married name.

Edited by apple21

I used NSO MC to change my Driver's License and Passport to my married name.

Were you required to complete the CFO seminar in order to change your passport to your married name?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Were you required to complete the CFO seminar in order to change your passport to your married name?

Sorry I forgot to add, my husband is a Filipino (LPR).

Your wife can call DFA hotline: The DFA Appointment System is also available via the hotline (02) 737-1000. Call us anytime from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Saturday.

Sorry I forgot to add, my husband is a Filipino (LPR).

Your wife can call DFA hotline: The DFA Appointment System is also available via the hotline (02) 737-1000. Call us anytime from 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Saturday.

I see. Thanks for your response.

Me and my wife were married in July in General Santos, Phillippines. We waited 2 months and got the NSO marriage certificate from Manila. She also was required to to the CFO before changing her passport. She just completed that yesterday and cost 400 peso. There is an office in Cebu. They will issue a certificate to use for passport change and when you get the visa you will need to return with passport and get the sticker attached for travel to US. I have hear mixed reviews on if the marriage certificate is required from NSO or you can use the LCR copy. Seems like they should except that until you receive the NSO and can so that at the interview.

17-Dec-11 Met my wife for first time

24-Jul-12 - Married in Philippines, Honeymoon in Hong Kong

20-Sep-12 - Return to Philippines for visit/Medical/finish up i-130

2-Oct-12 - I-130 Sent (Fedex)

3-Oct-12 - Received at Phoenix Lockbox

09-Oct-12- NOA1 email/SMS : I-130 transferred to NBC

12-Dec-12 - File appeared in Case status

25-Dec-12 - Returned to Philippines for Christmas and New Years

4-Jan-13- Learned my file was transferred to local office on Nov 27

17-Jan-13- I-130 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.