kobiams

Credit report follows you to the US?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hey again,

i was just wondering if anyone knew if your canadian credit report follows you to the US once you move over? or do you start all over with no credit score?

You start from scratch.

USCIS

08/16/2012: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox from Canada

08/22/2012: NOA1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC

12/04/2012: NVC Case no. assigned

12/06/2012: Filed DS-261

12/08/2012: Paid AOS fee

12/19/2012: AOS Package sent Electronically

12/17/2012: Paid IV Bill

12/19/2012: Filed DS-260

01/16/2013: Sent IV Packet Electronically

01/25/2013: Case Closed at NVC

03/05/2013: Interview date - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been told that sometimes if you print out your credit info they will consider it? Is that true? If so what kind of info do I show them?

Who is "them" exactly? If you are planning a big purchase such as a house or a car, sometimes the credit company will look at your Canadian credit. This happens very rarely, since the US company needs to go out of their way and sometimes incur extra costs to do this. I have never heard of someone printing out their credit information and presenting it... this would be really easy to fake, so I'd be surprised if you would get anywhere with it.

Unfortunately you will need to start from scratch. Your Canadian credit does not follow you. We all went through it, and although it sucks for a little while, it really isn't a huge deal. Three years later I get 3-4 credit card offers in the mail a day and have a better credit score than my husband,

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Like Huggle stated some can do it, but rarely do they do it. What some have done to speed up obtaining a credit rating in the USA is get A Cdn American Express card....and when the time comes..American express can switch it to a USA account. And capital 1 has a CC for people with poor to nil credit. And if your American Spouse has excellent credit, it may not matter. best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

You can print out your Canadian credit reports and bring them with you. Generally, when you start over in the US your credit score from Canada doesn't transfer and you start over credit wise as well. You can try and use your Canadian credit reports on an individual case by case basis and see if the lender is willing to consider accepting your Canadian credit reports. Most will not be. Some 'may' be willing, especially when you tell them how to access your Canadian reports via your S.I.N. Most will want to have US credit in order to approve a credit card or a loan. The easier you can make it for them to access and obtain your Canadian credit records, the more likely it is they will take that into consideration. Generally, being added as a joint user or co-owner to an existing account or taking out a joint loan with your spouse is one of the fastest ways to obtain a US credit score.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I asked if our mortageg company would consider my Canadian credit and they wouldn't. Credit isn';t just being able to get a mortgage or car loan of course. You'll need a US credit card and in order to get one you need good credit history which technically you won't have yet. If you straight out fillout an application (say at Target) they will find no credit under your brand new shiny SSN and thus you may be denied.

There seems to be no pattern though - I've had bad experiences but sometimes people at the same bank chain or credit card will have an entirely different experience.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

If you get a loan through RBC in the US, they can use your Canadian credit. That's the only place I know that will allow you to do this. Could help when building credit.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.