ESquared

Is it safe to air travel inside the US if K-1 Visa has expired?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Dear VisaJourney companions (we're all companions in these challenges, are we not?),

My wife entered the country legally on a K-1 visa almost two years ago. We got married within 90 days. Due to various screw-ups and delays on both my part and the government's, we have only just gotten our paperwork together to register for permanent resident status (I know, I know, terrible :( ). In the meantime she's racked up more than 360 days of illegal time. I know this means that she can't get advance parole for reentry from travel outside the country, before getting her green card. However, I have two questions:

1) Is it safe for her to travel through airports and other official places, without leaving the country, since she is technically illegal now? We'd like to fly to another state but I would like to know if we can expect problems.

2) Is it true that the K-1 visa is one of the few kinds where illegal time does not prevent getting permanent resident status? And when she does get that, a green card & SSN are issued, and then she can travel outside of the country and expect to get back in?

Thank you very much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

For domestic travel the security issue is making sure the name on the ticket matches the name on the ID. Her status in the country is not their concern and will not be an issue. Sorry - not sure about the other stuff.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Dear VisaJourney companions (we're all companions in these challenges, are we not?),

My wife entered the country legally on a K-1 visa almost two years ago. We got married within 90 days. Due to various screw-ups and delays on both my part and the government's, we have only just gotten our paperwork together to register for permanent resident status (I know, I know, terrible :( ). In the meantime she's racked up more than 360 days of illegal time. I know this means that she can't get advance parole for reentry from travel outside the country, before getting her green card. However, I have two questions:

1) Is it safe for her to travel through airports and other official places, without leaving the country, since she is technically illegal now? We'd like to fly to another state but I would like to know if we can expect problems.

2) Is it true that the K-1 visa is one of the few kinds where illegal time does not prevent getting permanent resident status? And when she does get that, a green card & SSN are issued, and then she can travel outside of the country and expect to get back in?

Thank you very much!

1) There are no immigration controls for domestic flights.. therefore, they do not care whether or not she is illegal or not... the airlines are not ICE...

2) Since she has accumulated more than 180 days of time out of status, she is subject to a 3-year ban on reentering the US no matter if she has an AP document or not. She should not leave the US for any reason until she has been granted permanent resident status. If you waited for more than a year to file the I-485, the ban becomes 10 years. Time out of status is forgiven for those persons who are adjusting based on a marriage to a USC...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you very much!

1) There are no immigration controls for domestic flights.. therefore, they do not care whether or not she is illegal or not... the airlines are not ICE...

2) Since she has accumulated more than 180 days of time out of status, she is subject to a 3-year ban on reentering the US no matter if she has an AP document or not. She should not leave the US for any reason until she has been granted permanent resident status. If you waited for more than a year to file the I-485, the ban becomes 10 years. Time out of status is forgiven for those persons who are adjusting based on a marriage to a USC...

To point 2) from zuggy:

Does "forgiven" means that if I'm adjusting my status based on a marriage to a USC I will be able to travel with the AP document even I'm out of status for more than 180 days?

It is so confusing.

Thanks Anja

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Thank you very much!

To point 2) from zuggy:

Does "forgiven" means that if I'm adjusting my status based on a marriage to a USC I will be able to travel with the AP document even I'm out of status for more than 180 days?

It is so confusing.

Thanks Anja

Anja,

Even USCIS does not guarantee that you will be allowed re-entry into the country with an AP document if there are circumstances that are grounds for denial of entry (e.g. overstay). That is why, it is always suggested that anyone with a pending AOS application and with more than 180 days overstay should not travel oversees, even with an AP.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline

Thank you very much!

To point 2) from zuggy:

It is so confusing.

Thanks Anja

No... if one is inadmissibble, then AP will not save you as the overstay is not forgiven until the PR status is granted. Until that point, you are inadmissible to the US and if you left the US and tried to reenter on AP, you would be denied entry...

You would then have to reapply with the added burden of applying for a waiver of inadmissibility..

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thank you very much!

Your wife is legal. Period, end of sentence. No doubt.

We waited to adjust status, we confirmed and reconfirmed this with USCIS. In fact alot of governmental agencies do not even understand this. Your wife entered legally, got married and complied with the terms of the K1 Visa. No there is no law that says you MUST adjust.

That being said, she has no status except that she entered legally and is your wife. We were advised by the USCIS for Annie to carry her passport, and a copy of the Marriage Cert with us to prove these things Actually, Annie carried copies). Once you file for AOS, I would carry a copy of the receipt notice aswell.

You technically do not need an ID to travel domestically as proven in a previous post, being that your wife has no status, I would carry as much proof as possible to avoid any delays.

and Yes, overstay is forgiven for Family related AOS. Which technically is not related to your case, being that your wife entered legally and met the terms of the K1.

I would not travel out of the country until she receives her green card. Just in case.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Timeline

She should not travel out of the US period as she accumulated more than 180 days out of status time and therefore is inadmissible to the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi Zyggy,

Two weeks ago when I went through the security check at a border town airport in Texas with my K1 and recently issued I-94 at the bridge, I asked the border patrol agent who checked my documents if I'd be allowed to fly from that aiport (within the 25mile border) to any other airport in the US (i.e. Dallas or Houston) once my I-94 was expired and my AOS was pending. His answer was that I had to get a new I-94 to be able to do this, even if I hadn't left the US and had a pending AOS. He said that I would not be allowed to board the plane to go beyond the 25 mile limit if I didn't have an unexpired I-94. My question is, what should people do in this situation? Would it be better to show a US drivers license as ID to avoid questioning by the BP agents? what if you don't have a drivers license?

Thanks!

May 1996: Met in Mexico
K1
March 7th, 2006: Sent 129F to NSC
March 9th, 2006: NOA1 Day 1
June 15th, 2006: Notice of transfer to CSC
October 3rd, 2006: IMBRA RFE e-mail
October 17th, 2006 CSC e-mail confirming RFE receipt.
October 18th, 2006: NOA2!!!!!!!! 224 days!
October 25th, 2006: NVC received file
November 10th, 2006: Received Packet from CDJ
January 5th, 2007: Visa approved!!!! 302 days!
February 16th, 2007: Civil Ceremony
AOS
February 21st, 2007: Mailed AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago
March 1st, 2007: NOA1 - Day 1
March 26th, 2007: I-485 transferred to CSC - Day 25
March 30th, 2007: Biometrics appointment - Day 29
April 14th, 2007: Big Wedding!!!!
May 8th, 2007: AP Approved - Day 68
May 10th, 2007: EAD Approved- Day 70
September 20th, 2007: SECOND Biometrics appointment - Day 203
December 4th, 2007: AOS approved!!!! 278 days!
December 10th, 2007: Received GC - Day 284
Removal of Conditions
August 31st, 2009: Mailed I-751 to CSC
September 2nd, 2009: NOA1 - Day 1
October 15th, 2009: Biometrics appointment - Day 44
October 26th, 2009: 10 year GC approved!! - Day 55
October 31st, 2009: Received GC - Day 60

NATURALIZATION

May 7th, 2013: Mailed N-400

May 9th, 2013: NOA1 - Day 1

June 10th, 2013: Biometrics Appointment - Day 33

September 5th, 2013: Interview - Day

September 27th, 2013: Oath Ceremony- Day

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi Zyggy,

Two weeks ago when I went through the security check at a border town airport in Texas with my K1 and recently issued I-94 at the bridge, I asked the border patrol agent who checked my documents if I'd be allowed to fly from that aiport (within the 25mile border) to any other airport in the US (i.e. Dallas or Houston) once my I-94 was expired and my AOS was pending. His answer was that I had to get a new I-94 to be able to do this, even if I hadn't left the US and had a pending AOS. He said that I would not be allowed to board the plane to go beyond the 25 mile limit if I didn't have an unexpired I-94. My question is, what should people do in this situation? Would it be better to show a US drivers license as ID to avoid questioning by the BP agents? what if you don't have a drivers license?

Thanks!

I think you should ignore him - I traveled many times within the US via airplane with an expired I-94 (about 180 days now).

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.