Homes

Green card interview: Original birth certificate?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello all,

I have my interview next month for the green card (I-485) and we're looking at the checklist of things we need to bring. Some of the documents are specified as "original," which is nice, but others are not. I am wondering if my husband should bring his original birth certificate or if a copy is okay. It's not a problem getting his original birth certificate; he just needs to ask his mom to send it to him, but if a copy is completely acceptable, we'll stick with the copy.

Thank you, fellow VJers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Most of the time they expect to see the original of any copies that you sent. If it's possible, I would get the original. Better to save yourself trouble later on if possible :D

Hello all,

I have my interview next month for the green card (I-485) and we're looking at the checklist of things we need to bring. Some of the documents are specified as "original," which is nice, but others are not. I am wondering if my husband should bring his original birth certificate or if a copy is okay. It's not a problem getting his original birth certificate; he just needs to ask his mom to send it to him, but if a copy is completely acceptable, we'll stick with the copy.

Thank you, fellow VJers!

Yes i agree from our experience, Originals and copies everytime

th_st-georges-day-flag.jpg

K1 visa - 10/25/2011 - 7 months 2 days

Married - 06/26/2012

AOS - 07/31/2012 - 2months 18 days

Process from filing 129-f to AOS approval 349 Days

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Our plan throughout this whole process has been to provide a copy, and have the original available for inspection and comparison. It has served us well. The only exception was that we did send in a certified copy of our marriage license for the AOS process.. There seems to be some inconsistency with the USCIS adjudicators at that level of the immigration process.

YMMV

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.