The Mean Lady

Problems, Advice, and Stories on Border Crossing

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The only time I've ever been given any sort of hassle is when I didn't have any paperwork with me (and oddly, every single time I've traveled with paperwork, I've never been asked for it!!)

The first time was in December of last year, and it was before we even submitted our I-129F papers. We told the lady agent that we were going to work on the package, and she said next time to just travel with it (We were flying down, out of the Niagara airport, and I was returning by car, with my parents who we were meeting down there... I'm actually kind of surprised she let me go! LOL).

The second time was actually just last month - we were in Niagara Falls for the afternoon with his dad & our friend, and we decided to walk across the Rainbow Bridge, on a whim. We answered all the questions honestly, and we *JUST* got our interview appointment email from the Montreal Consulate, so we showed that to him on our phones, and he just told us to travel with the entire package next time. I told him I usually do, but we hadn't thought about it this time cause we were just walking. He told us to have a nice day.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would love to tell you my horror stories. I am not sure why, but I do not have good experiences at the US border. I make sure I pack light, I always have current pay stubs with me, my work schedule to show the days I am off, and when my next shifts are. I used to bring my school schedule (not anymore though since I graduated) and my student card. I bring my bills, bank account records and things like that. Even though I bring what little evidence I have, they have never more than glanced at it. Normally, they don't even look at it at all. I have never been in the states longer than 6 or 7 days. I don't have a record, (unless you count 2 speeding tickets, which I'm sure they don't). I am polite and courteous, I answer their questions directly. I only visit once every 2 to 3 months for a couple days at a time, also. I don't smoke or drink, so never cross with it. The odd time I bring a present, but I never wrap them and they're not worth much. Sometimes, I cross a tad more frequent (around holidays), but then don't visit for a long time. I have never ever lied to an officer about how long I intend to visit, or who I am visiting, but 9/10 I get pulled into secondary.

Secondary isn't so bad, they are very down to business, not necessarily friendly, but not rude either. They look at my ID, make me wait, they ask me questions (where I live, where I work, where Cody lives and works) and they let me leave. I get back to my car and I always have to pack my stuff back up. Even the officers who toss my stuff everywhere are pretty nice. Once I brought my nice bicycle down with me, and the gentleman brought me out of secondary to have me take it out of my car because he recognized that it was a nice bike and he said he didn't want to damage it. I thanked him for his courtesy.

You should look into getting a NEXUS card. It is very easy. You can apply on line and will then be interviewed. The interview is easy. They scan your iris and take your fingerprints and you are done. If it is going to take awhile to get your visa, I would suggest this as they do a thorough criminal check and it may cut down on any hassle that you get at the border.

I drove over numerous times and never really had a hassle with this card.

My trouble is with the initial officers at point of entry. I don't know how many times I have broke down crying. I honestly have had so many bad experiences, that I prefer Cody to come here now. I also don't remember all the stories, only the worst ones stick.

One of the times I crossed, the border officer was at the computer and asked me if I had any drugs. I told him no (obviously). The officer came out, had me unlock my doors, and take the key out of the ignition and started searching my car himself. Then he started asking me where I kept my marijuana, and if there would be any residue in my purse and saying things like that (statements, not questions). At first, I didn't get nervous or scared because I know they're just doing their job and that I am not doing anything wrong. I told him, "no sir, there is no marijuana here and there would be no residue because I don't smoke it." Then he started asking me if I had other drugs, cocaine, etc. He started using street names I had never ever heard of. That's when I started getting intimidated, he opened my bag, went through it carelessly right in front of me. He found nothing, yet still drilled me. Eventually, my face went red (like a, I'm about to get emotional kind of response lol), so he stopped what he was doing and came around to my door, got right in my face and started telling me all the penalties for illegally residing in the US, for drug trafficking for this and that. I started choking up right then and there, I was like, I know sir, but I assure you I am not doing that and I tried to show him the photocopy of the USCIS paperwork and he wanted nothing to do with it. He continued ripping the panels off and tearing the carpet up and looking for stuff that wasn't there. Eventually, he came back around, and said, "you know, I could refuse your entry and **** up your chances of getting a visa." That was that, I started crying. Then all of a sudden, he's like, you know I am just holding you up because there's a radioactive scare and I can't let you proceed right now, (yeah right), and then he started trying to calm me down. He's like, if you can stop crying, I'll let you go. I wish he just pulled me to secondary like everybody else does, because since then I have been petrified of pulling up to the border.

Another time I crossed, the man asked me the normal questions, then after a while proceeded to tell me that my passport (I cross with my EDL) had been carried by a lady who had assaulted somebody and went to prison and when she was incarcerated, she surrendered my passport, (impossible, it's been sitting in my drawer since I got it). I told him that it was impossible that MY actual passport could have been used because it was in my drawer at home. He said I looked a lot like the lady, he asked me my height, my weight, etc. He asked me all the other times I have traveled, etc. He got kind of like the other border officer, very rude, and treating me like I am actually a criminal. After what seemed like forever, he pulled me into secondary. I get to secondary, I am FREAKING out on the inside because I think this guy is being serious, when in fact he's just working me up. Secondary says nothing about any passport and when I asked what was wrong with my passport they said nothing was wrong with my passport, and that I was just there because I cross often and they wanted to verify my ID. They let me go without any wait that time. So, since this is the only time they've bothered me about my passport, I have to assume that his story was fanatical. Wouldn't somebody have contacted me about this "passport issue" prior or since? If it had been frauded, I am sure somebody would have told me by now!

Then another time I crossed, they were nice to me, I got pulled into secondary for just a moment, they searched my car quickly and let me go.. However, they did not close my hood and while I was driving on the I-75, it popped up. VERY terrifying.

Another time, I crossed with ease, no secondary, yay! Until I get pulled over by a border officer on the I-75 moments later.

Now the last few times I have crossed, I haven't been pulled to secondary or been "harassed," but I also come down maybe once every like 4 months or so. I have made Cody come up here and carry the burden because I can't handle the mini heart attacks at the border. This is why I am so concerned about moving on my K1 with all my household goods. I'm obviously flagged, but I don't know for what, or why they feel they need to go out of their way to intimidate me to the point of tears. I guess this is what honesty gets you sometimes.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It just occurred to me what a blessing my husband's B2s have been! They are stamps in his passport as proof of visitation that he would otherwise have not had!

oldlady.gif

We were bracing for an RFE because I :whistle: neglected to provide any primary evidence that we met, just pictures. There was no RFE though. :dance: I wonder if they just looked up our border crossings or if they didn't really care because we are only a few hours apart.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

From what I'm gathering, they don't care too much about the canadians... must be a real relationship or there'd be no way in heck they'd want to come to the US :P

oldlady.gif

Timeline

From what I'm gathering, they don't care too much about the canadians... must be a real relationship or there'd be no way in heck they'd want to come to the US :P

This right here lol. I'd have run long ago after my experiences if it weren't that serious.

Filed: Timeline

Ha! I wish that was the reason I get sent to secondary lol. I honestly have no idea why, and truthfully, I thought once I got my green card I'd be spared that little detour on my way passing thru the border. It actually frustrates the bejesus outta me. Even though we did everything legal, no overstay, no AOS after crossing as a "visitor", etc I still get treated as I was when I used to cross as a visitor. Grrrrrrr!! And it's not like I can (or would) be brave enough to actually confront them by saying I think they are signally me out unfairly.

They have a redress program where you can seek resolutions regarding this. Here is the link:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/11/kw/secondary/sno/1

iagree.gif

Ever since, I think we`ve had about 3 I90s, 4 or 5 denials, and maybe 3 or 4 let throughs.

They have this new special locked room at blue water bridge for the `criminals` which apparently we`re considered so we sit in there with felons and people that were carrying drugs lmao.

Most recently, in June, we were in there for about 35 minutes, but that was because (2) felons were being denied first and they only spent 5 minutes on us, looked over our TONS of paperwork (lots accumulated!) and said to have a nice trip WITH NO I90!! Hoping for similar in December because he`ll have paperwork filed then, though they`ve always told us it will get easier for us when we start the process and to just bring out proof of current filing status.

The most recent, in June, we

I'm thinking you mean the I-94 Arrival/Departure record. The I-90 form is the application to replace a permanent resident card.

iagree.gif

Timeline

They have a redress program where you can seek resolutions regarding this. Here is the link:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/11/kw/secondary/sno/1

Would I be able to do this? Would this help or hinder me? Or should I just wait until I get my green card to see what's in store for me? I am terrified of the border. I am OK with secondary, but I don't like being subjected to it as often as I am. Will this help me understand why I get stopped for extra questions?

Timeline

I've already filed redress but nothing yet (and that was approx. 5 weeks ago). After googling "how long does redress usually take" it says anywhere from weeks to months. And even then, the issue may or may not be resolved. Yay.

Timeline

I'm thinking you mean the I-94 Arrival/Departure record. The I-90 form is the application to replace a permanent resident card.

I-90, I-94 and I-294 are also all highways I take to get to and from here so you can understand my lack of remembrance :rofl:

oldlady.gif

Would I be able to do this? Would this help or hinder me? Or should I just wait until I get my green card to see what's in store for me? I am terrified of the border. I am OK with secondary, but I don't like being subjected to it as often as I am. Will this help me understand why I get stopped for extra questions?

Personally, I would do it.

I've already filed redress but nothing yet (and that was approx. 5 weeks ago). After googling "how long does redress usually take" it says anywhere from weeks to months. And even then, the issue may or may not be resolved. Yay.

Oh good. I hope you hear something soon.

I-90, I-94 and I-294 are also all highways I take to get to and from here so you can understand my lack of remembrance :rofl:

:lol:

iagree.gif

We had no problems crossing into the US together yesterday. I was a bit worried since we have never crossed together before, but it went very smoothly. Officer wanted to know how she was getting back to Canada and when, that was about it. I was worried about it given all the stories I read from those entering the US together.

Edited by Rob & Monika

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

• 3 months later...

I recently was in Detroit, MI and decided that since I was so close to Canada I would just go over to there to the mall in Windsor, CAN and come back to Detroit, Mi. I crossed over into Canada no problem HOWEVER on my way back into Detroit, MI the experience was AWFUL. I understand that there are many bad people out there and these people don't know me or my intentions but the was they acted was super uncalled for.

They acted like it was so impossible that I would want to cross over into Canada just to go to the mall and come back. I am a permanent resident, they questioned me to the death about how I became a permanent resident and boy did they flip out when I told them I am now divorced. Question after question trying to determine the validity of my marriage, I know I did not do anything wrong so I was not nervous and I wasn't worried about it. To me the government has already determined the validity of my marriage and publicly asking me embarrassing questions in a rude manner is a waste of time. They were acting like people dont get divorced, It's just that I have crossed other borders by air and I have never been treated that way so I googled that border and complaint after complaint came back. Bottom line is the agents on the USA side of the Detroit-Windsor crossing are nasty for no reason.

I read story after story from people that live in the area that say they use to cross all the time but the agents are at the point of ridiculousness so they just stay on their side of the border. If you don't have to cross that border DONT DO IT, its not worth the amount of time wasted and potential embarrasment.

AOS package sent - 1/30/09

AOS package recieve (IL)- 2/2/09

NOA for all applications- 2/9/09

Biometrics Appoint Notice recieved 2/2/09 for 3/9/09 will try walk in 2/25/09

RFE's for co sponser w2 and 1099, birth certificate, i-693, and immunization recieve 2/15/08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.