The Mean Lady

Problems, Advice, and Stories on Border Crossing

64 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

After semi-hijacking someone else's thread with my own experiences, I thought it might be nice to hear some of the experiences others have had while crossing back and forth between the US and Canada during our relationships.

Have any of you had any trouble traveling back and forth or any advice to those that will be crossing back and forth for visits?

I hate to say it, but I think it might be comforting to hear someone else had the same amount of trouble that I'm used to trying to get my husband to visit in the states...

oldlady.gif

Hi Everyone,

After semi-hijacking someone else's thread with my own experiences, I thought it might be nice to hear some of the experiences others have had while crossing back and forth between the US and Canada during our relationships.

Have any of you had any trouble traveling back and forth or any advice to those that will be crossing back and forth for visits?

I hate to say it, but I think it might be comforting to hear someone else had the same amount of trouble that I'm used to trying to get my husband to visit in the states...

My wife was denied entry once because we failed to purchase a return ticket. She was coming for an extended visit but wasn't sure exactly how long it would be. Customs did not like that and turned her around. It cost us the $600 plane ticket, and I lost a few days vacation from work, so it was an expensive lesson. The both of us has been pulled into secondary for extended questioning simply because of the frequency of our trips, but nothing serious, we were both allowed to continue on.

We both had our worst experiences at the Detroit/Windsor crossing, the officers there on both sides seem a lot more rude and agitated there as opposed to the times we've crossed in Buffalo/Niagra.

Travelling separately, we haven't had any issues. I was sent to secondary on my first visit to Canada because I had never been there before. The first time we crossed into Canada in the same vehicle they were a bit suspicious, but since then I have no problems entering Canada. I get asked less questions on the trip up than I do coming back to the US. Generally it has gotten easier the more we do it, they don't ask if the car is mine anymore, how we met, etc. We'll be entering the US in the same vehicle soon, I'm a bit worried about that.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

Coming back into Canada WITH my husband is the easiest.

Plus it's nice because we can get away with tons of stuff w/o duties taxes.

From christmas last year, I had this handwritten itemized list of like 400 dollars in presents we brought back and the lady just laughed and said have a nice trip.

Generally, however, when I return into canada WITH my husband, they ask the purpose of my visit and I just tell them I'm dropping my husband back off. Come to think of it, I don't think they've ever asked me more than that when I come over with him! lol.

Going to the US with my husband is the worst. We always get flagged and pulled in.... with people that walk beside us with spike strips! lol

I've only been pulled into secondary ONCE on my own and that was prior to marriage (and even dating really) and I came up to visit when we were just friends for just (1) day. Since I drive 7 hours, that was suspicious and I was pulled into questioning because I paint some...well... less than pleasant things... and my paintings happen to all be in my trunk.

The officer also had the nerve to tell me to learn how to clean my car =X

Though, I've learned from the ONE time in over 3 years we got pulled into canada, that that's probably the truth.

We came over with the following items after US thanksgiving 2 years ago:

(1) 4ft christmas tree

(1) storage cart of drawers

(1) office chair.

Because they were all large items, my car looked full! The lady was SO mean telling me that I was moving there and I kept telling her there were only 3 items (plus lots of garbage on the floor =X)! She called me out on a FAN that was on the floor! I kept trying to explain to her that the fan was from canada and i didn't have time to return it before we left lol

We were questioned for a short time and I received my own version of an I90 but the lady inside was SUPER nice and this is why I travel with all my ties now too lol SORRY SO LONG!

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Travelling separately, we haven't had any issues. I was sent to secondary on my first visit to Canada because I had never been there before. The first time we crossed into Canada in the same vehicle they were a bit suspicious, but since then I have no problems entering Canada. I get asked less questions on the trip up than I do coming back to the US. Generally it has gotten easier the more we do it, they don't ask if the car is mine anymore, how we met, etc. We'll be entering the US in the same vehicle soon, I'm a bit worried about that.

One time a guy asked me where my rental agreement was and I had to show him paperwork to prove the car was NOT a rental and was indeed mine lol

oldlady.gif

Timeline

My wife was denied entry once because we failed to purchase a return ticket. She was coming for an extended visit but wasn't sure exactly how long it would be. Customs did not like that and turned her around. It cost us the $600 plane ticket, and I lost a few days vacation from work, so it was an expensive lesson. The both of us has been pulled into secondary for extended questioning simply because of the frequency of our trips, but nothing serious, we were both allowed to continue on.

We both had our worst experiences at the Detroit/Windsor crossing, the officers there on both sides seem a lot more rude and agitated there as opposed to the times we've crossed in Buffalo/Niagra.

Ouch! Speaking of plane tickets... my boss paid for a return plane ticket for my husband as proof following our wedding.

The guy that made the I90 out for my husband was a total jerk and gave it for the WRONG date cutting our honey moon short and forcing us to drive back so he could make it in time... I still have a feeling he did it on purpose because he was about to deny him but at the SAME TIME I had called border patrol to get a status because my husband handn't texted in over an hour. I told the supervisor I was very nervous and didn't want to have to cancel our wedding and he approved him!

When we turned it in, they said 'why didn't you fly on the plane you were supposed to take' and we were like BECAUSE YOU PUT THE WRONG DATE! Ever since then... I think they finally realized we were honest people lmao

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I cross every month and make sure i have proif of ties in Canada but even with that I got questionned a lot ! Last time the border officer typed my name in the computer and searched my bag, wich was a first ! I'm wondering if its because I do have my interview soon ? I guess i am flag now ! Hopefully POE will go smootly

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We crossed every 6-8 weeks for 4 years. I never had an issue visiting him here. Before we found VJ and filled the paperwork we were both pretty naive and didn't consider being denied entry. I crossed several times with no return ticket, and never had any prof of ties. I think we were pretty lucky! I always crossed at the Peace Bridge. My dad always drove me across to the airport, and he's an intimidating looking guy, so maybe that helped! On the other hand, when my husband visited in Canada for the first time he was pulled into secondary, and they called me to confirm his identity. After that, no problems on his end either.

Timeline

I would love to tell you my horror stories. I am not sure why, but I do not have good experiences at the US border. I make sure I pack light, I always have current pay stubs with me, my work schedule to show the days I am off, and when my next shifts are. I used to bring my school schedule (not anymore though since I graduated) and my student card. I bring my bills, bank account records and things like that. Even though I bring what little evidence I have, they have never more than glanced at it. Normally, they don't even look at it at all. I have never been in the states longer than 6 or 7 days. I don't have a record, (unless you count 2 speeding tickets, which I'm sure they don't). I am polite and courteous, I answer their questions directly. I only visit once every 2 to 3 months for a couple days at a time, also. I don't smoke or drink, so never cross with it. The odd time I bring a present, but I never wrap them and they're not worth much. Sometimes, I cross a tad more frequent (around holidays), but then don't visit for a long time. I have never ever lied to an officer about how long I intend to visit, or who I am visiting, but 9/10 I get pulled into secondary.

Secondary isn't so bad, they are very down to business, not necessarily friendly, but not rude either. They look at my ID, make me wait, they ask me questions (where I live, where I work, where Cody lives and works) and they let me leave. I get back to my car and I always have to pack my stuff back up. Even the officers who toss my stuff everywhere are pretty nice. Once I brought my nice bicycle down with me, and the gentleman brought me out of secondary to have me take it out of my car because he recognized that it was a nice bike and he said he didn't want to damage it. I thanked him for his courtesy.

My trouble is with the initial officers at point of entry. I don't know how many times I have broke down crying. I honestly have had so many bad experiences, that I prefer Cody to come here now. I also don't remember all the stories, only the worst ones stick.

One of the times I crossed, the border officer was at the computer and asked me if I had any drugs. I told him no (obviously). The officer came out, had me unlock my doors, and take the key out of the ignition and started searching my car himself. Then he started asking me where I kept my marijuana, and if there would be any residue in my purse and saying things like that (statements, not questions). At first, I didn't get nervous or scared because I know they're just doing their job and that I am not doing anything wrong. I told him, "no sir, there is no marijuana here and there would be no residue because I don't smoke it." Then he started asking me if I had other drugs, cocaine, etc. He started using street names I had never ever heard of. That's when I started getting intimidated, he opened my bag, went through it carelessly right in front of me. He found nothing, yet still drilled me. Eventually, my face went red (like a, I'm about to get emotional kind of response lol), so he stopped what he was doing and came around to my door, got right in my face and started telling me all the penalties for illegally residing in the US, for drug trafficking for this and that. I started choking up right then and there, I was like, I know sir, but I assure you I am not doing that and I tried to show him the photocopy of the USCIS paperwork and he wanted nothing to do with it. He continued ripping the panels off and tearing the carpet up and looking for stuff that wasn't there. Eventually, he came back around, and said, "you know, I could refuse your entry and **** up your chances of getting a visa." That was that, I started crying. Then all of a sudden, he's like, you know I am just holding you up because there's a radioactive scare and I can't let you proceed right now, (yeah right), and then he started trying to calm me down. He's like, if you can stop crying, I'll let you go. I wish he just pulled me to secondary like everybody else does, because since then I have been petrified of pulling up to the border.

Another time I crossed, the man asked me the normal questions, then after a while proceeded to tell me that my passport (I cross with my EDL) had been carried by a lady who had assaulted somebody and went to prison and when she was incarcerated, she surrendered my passport, (impossible, it's been sitting in my drawer since I got it). I told him that it was impossible that MY actual passport could have been used because it was in my drawer at home. He said I looked a lot like the lady, he asked me my height, my weight, etc. He asked me all the other times I have traveled, etc. He got kind of like the other border officer, very rude, and treating me like I am actually a criminal. After what seemed like forever, he pulled me into secondary. I get to secondary, I am FREAKING out on the inside because I think this guy is being serious, when in fact he's just working me up. Secondary says nothing about any passport and when I asked what was wrong with my passport they said nothing was wrong with my passport, and that I was just there because I cross often and they wanted to verify my ID. They let me go without any wait that time. So, since this is the only time they've bothered me about my passport, I have to assume that his story was fanatical. Wouldn't somebody have contacted me about this "passport issue" prior or since? If it had been frauded, I am sure somebody would have told me by now!

Then another time I crossed, they were nice to me, I got pulled into secondary for just a moment, they searched my car quickly and let me go.. However, they did not close my hood and while I was driving on the I-75, it popped up. VERY terrifying.

Another time, I crossed with ease, no secondary, yay! Until I get pulled over by a border officer on the I-75 moments later.

Now the last few times I have crossed, I haven't been pulled to secondary or been "harassed," but I also come down maybe once every like 4 months or so. I have made Cody come up here and carry the burden because I can't handle the mini heart attacks at the border. This is why I am so concerned about moving on my K1 with all my household goods. I'm obviously flagged, but I don't know for what, or why they feel they need to go out of their way to intimidate me to the point of tears. I guess this is what honesty gets you sometimes.

Timeline

Oh god, you poor thing... and I thought my husband had it bad!

It all started 3.5 years ago when he was coming for 2.5 months to visit.

We wanted a long visit to make sure a relationship was right for us since previously we were just long distance friends.

My (bf at the time) didn`t have a job because he was previously nannying for his sister who was going through postpartum and I told him to not bother looking as he was coming to visit for 2.5 months (so he`d lose it anyways lol).

At the time, he was also staying in a second building on his dad`s property (no reason for a lease obviously) and he had done work around his dad`s farm and just got paid in cash.

We came with absolutely no ties, because we`d never even known that was something to worry about.

They denied him and I was bawling in the middle of the open room inside.

Idk what came over me, but I barely remember asking to speak to a supervisor.

Office Coza was amazingly nice and I explained to him that he was my bf and we didn`t know if marriage would ever be right for us if we couldn`t spend a decent amount of time together.

His response was LET THE LOVERS GO! and me husband got an I90 and was able to stay with me.

I had returned him to Canada in September, lost my job, and decided to stay with him for a bit up there while I looked online for something so I went up there in late november.

In December, we tried to cross with him for christmas and this time we brought as much information as we could from his dad and his dad`s gf stating what he gets paid and where he lived, but they denied him anyways. Office coza was not on duty and the other supervisor didn`t agree with me, so I had to drive 2 hours back to drop him off, then wake up the next morning and leave again (extra day of work lost).

After 3.5 years, it`s very jumbled, but I remember another time when this crazy lady threatened him with deportation for absolutely NO reason at all. That is the rudest lady there has been. Your rude officers have been 10 times worse than mine, though I`ve NEVER been able to wait while they search our car, we`re always put inside.

As I stated above briefly, they were going to deny him on our WEDDING DAY when he was crossing with his MOM (both of them had PLENTY of ties). But I hadn`t heard from him in a while so I called the direct number they had given me at a recent crossing. I spoke with a guy and said to him `hello, my husband is there trying to cross with his mother, I haven`t heard from him in a while and I`m worried I`ll have to call 80 people and cancel our wedding in 3 days, could you please give me a status` and he came back saying that everything was fine... my husband later told me he was being denied until that guy came over and told the office to let them through THANK GOD FOR ME!

Ever since, I think we`ve had about 3 I90s, 4 or 5 denials, and maybe 3 or 4 let throughs.

They have this new special locked room at blue water bridge for the `criminals` which apparently we`re considered so we sit in there with felons and people that were carrying drugs lmao.

Most recently, in June, we were in there for about 35 minutes, but that was because (2) felons were being denied first and they only spent 5 minutes on us, looked over our TONS of paperwork (lots accumulated!) and said to have a nice trip WITH NO I90!! Hoping for similar in December because he`ll have paperwork filed then, though they`ve always told us it will get easier for us when we start the process and to just bring out proof of current filing status.

The most recent, in June, we

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Maybe mine have been more rude, but you know, at the end of the day I've never been handed any paper, and I've never been refused. I wish I could remember the officers names who really bothered me on those two occasions, because one of those times I cried the whole way to Ohio lol. I kept wondering if I had my identity stolen! I wish all the officers were professional and down to business. I understand that they tried to intimidate me to see if I would fess up to something. But I really have never done anything wrong and have nothing to hide!

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, I think yours are more heartbreaking. I hate being treated like I am a criminal, but at the same time I am happy I've never been strip searched or something ridiculous like that.

Have you had any trouble crossing now that you're married? (my next biggest concern)

Timeline

Maybe mine have been more rude, but you know, at the end of the day I've never been handed any paper, and I've never been refused. I wish I could remember the officers names who really bothered me on those two occasions, because one of those times I cried the whole way to Ohio lol. I kept wondering if I had my identity stolen! I wish all the officers were professional and down to business. I understand that they tried to intimidate me to see if I would fess up to something. But I really have never done anything wrong and have nothing to hide!

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, I think yours are more heartbreaking. I hate being treated like I am a criminal, but at the same time I am happy I've never been strip searched or something ridiculous like that.

Have you had any trouble crossing now that you're married? (my next biggest concern)

Hmmm... I don't think we've been denied since being married, because by then, we'd finally covered all of our ties.

I know he came over for thanksgiving in 2010 just a few weeks after we were married... I know he wasn't with me for christmas that year, though, but I can't recall if we even tried or not since he was just there for thanksgiving.

It's gotten much easier and they told us it would take about 5 years of hassle with a spotless return record until we'd have even a CHANCE of going through w/o being pulled in. There's still about a year and a half of that.

I also hate that my husband is treated like a criminal. Especially now that blue water has that stupid new locked room where you REALLY feel like a criminal; because everyone else in there WAS ONE! My husband has a spotless record and, let's be honest, the canadians aren't exactly known for hopping the border because they like the US so much more...

Edited by KDubovik

oldlady.gif

Timeline

haha, your post made me chuckle. Yeah, the ONLY reason I am leaving Canada is for Cody. Well happy to hear it gets easier, but at least I know to expect some hassle for a little. I am moving down next weekend, so I hope I get nice CBP officers! :no:

Timeline

haha, your post made me chuckle. Yeah, the ONLY reason I am leaving Canada is for Cody. Well happy to hear it gets easier, but at least I know to expect some hassle for a little. I am moving down next weekend, so I hope I get nice CBP officers! :no:

My husband and I have been married for 2 years... that's how long it took to convince him to move lol

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.