teesie

Canadian citizen, US boyfriend

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should check out the guides here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides Your options are either a K1 (fiance) or CR1 (spousal) visa. Marriage is in your future, right? Because in either process you end up married :)

Also, you're asking about a Canadian moving to America, right? If so visa journey is the site for you. If the American is moving to Canada, though, you should check out Road to Canada: http://www.roadtocanada.com/forums/index.php

Edited by pocheros

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to Visa Journey! Most of us here in the Canada Regional Forum are or were in the exact circumstances you describe - a Canadian who met and fell in love with an American and immigrated - or are immigrating - to the US. If you are a Canadian citizen or legally resident in Canada you basically have two options: the first is to pursue a Fiancee visa, when you get the visa you move to the US and get married within 90 days, then apply for permission to remain in the US (a green card); the second is to get married and then apply for a Spouse visa and when that is approved, you move to the US and get your green card shortly after you arrive in the US. Both processes will take approximately a year from when you apply to when you arrive in the US, although the Fiancee visa is often a little bit faster. For both visas, the US partner initiates the process by filing a petition with US immigration, requesting permission for the Canadian partner to apply for a visa. When the US partner's petition is approved, the process basically transfers to Canada (there is some more paperwork that needs to be filed for the spouse visa before the file is transferred to Canada, but it eventually gets there). The Canadian partner needs to apply for the visa, provide police clearance letters, have an immigration medical and attend an immigration interview. All spousal interviews are in Montreal. Fiancee visa interviews are held in Montreal for anyone living east of Manitoba, and in Vancouver for anyone living west of Manitoba.

There are some very good guides here on Visa Journey that you and your partner should read over to decide which process you want to follow. You can ask questions here and there should be someone able to answer your questions. You don't need a lawyer to do this, but you do need to pay attention to detail and do a lot of reading and preparation work on your own. (You would also have to do this if you had a lawyer - you would just pay him to fill in the forms basically, and you can do that yourself).

So, start here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide and here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

I came to the US on a K-1 visa over 8 years ago, got married to my US husband within 90 days and became a permanent resident of the US. In 2009 I also became a US citizen (Canada allows dual citizenship so you never stop being a Canadian). You need to decide what the best choices are for the two of you. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Fiancee visa interviews are held in Montreal for anyone living east of Manitoba, and in Vancouver for anyone living west of Manitoba.

Excuse me for hijacking this thread, but I've been wondering... is eastern considered Manitoba and everything east of it, or just Ontario and everything east of it? I could never figure out if Manitoba was considered eastern or western for the immigration process, though I suspect it's considered western. :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Excuse me for hijacking this thread, but I've been wondering... is eastern considered Manitoba and everything east of it, or just Ontario and everything east of it? I could never figure out if Manitoba was considered eastern or western for the immigration process, though I suspect it's considered western. :P

Manitoba and continuing West, goto Van for the k1 interview.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I would like to know someone who has been in Canada, fallen in love with an American and what their process was to start going down there. We would like to eventually be in the same city to make sure that it is for real and works :)

Thanks!

Unfortunately for your plans, there is not a visa to "test the relationship" so to speak, only marriage related visas. You don't need to be close to each other to get a feel for whether the relationship will work. The distance will give you lots of time to talk and get to know each other better. Though you could both move to border towns and cross often.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

One of you could also visit the other for up to 6 months, but at that time you're not allowed to work (unless you work via correspondence through your company) either so it can be harder financially.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Unfortunately for your plans, there is not a visa to "test the relationship" so to speak, only marriage related visas. You don't need to be close to each other to get a feel for whether the relationship will work. The distance will give you lots of time to talk and get to know each other better. Though you could both move to border towns and cross often.

Sure there is, it's a B2 visitor visa. A B2 allows multiple entries up to 6 months in a one year period. A visitor visa is simple for Canadians/Americans wanting to travel either country, no paperwork involved, just show up at a border crossing with your valid passport. Make sure you both have and keep solid ties to your respective countries and you should be fine. My wife and I did this back and forth for 2 years until we decided to get married. We had one time where she was denied entry because we didn't purchase a round trip ticket for her. She wasn't sure how long she was going to stay for so we didn't bother with the return ticket. So keep that in mind if you're flying, it's an expensive lesson to learn.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Timeline

Sure there is, it's a B2 visitor visa. A B2 allows multiple entries up to 6 months in a one year period. A visitor visa is simple for Canadians/Americans wanting to travel either country, no paperwork involved, just show up at a border crossing with your valid passport. Make sure you both have and keep solid ties to your respective countries and you should be fine. My wife and I did this back and forth for 2 years until we decided to get married. We had one time where she was denied entry because we didn't purchase a round trip ticket for her. She wasn't sure how long she was going to stay for so we didn't bother with the return ticket. So keep that in mind if you're flying, it's an expensive lesson to learn.

Thank you!! I think either the 6 months there 6 months here or the B2 is what I wanted to know about :) So when you do a B2, how long is it for? I can work remotely, which is nice, but would be an income decrease. What do they consider as close ties? I have a condo but might have to sell if I do that since I can't rent it out. Is family enough?

Thank you!! I think either the 6 months there 6 months here or the B2 is what I wanted to know about :) So when you do a B2, how long is it for? I can work remotely, which is nice, but would be an income decrease. What do they consider as close ties? I have a condo but might have to sell if I do that since I can't rent it out. Is family enough?

On a visitor visa you need to keep strong ties to Canada, steady employment, owning your own home or condo, bring a few pay stubs and a lease agreement with you. It is a visitor visa, it doesn't allow you to "live" in the US. You are not allowed to work while in the states, so you would not want to mention "working remotely" to the POE officer. All you need to tell the POE officer is you're coming for a vacation to visit your boyfriend. You should keep your initial visits short, two weeks or so aned return when you say you will. Once you are allowed into the states, you are allowed to stay for up to 6 months as long as it was not noted otherwise by the POE officer.

On a visitor visa you need to keep strong ties to Canada, steady employment, owning your own home or condo, bring a few pay stubs and a lease agreement with you. It is a visitor visa, it doesn't allow you to "live" in the US. You are not allowed to work while in the states, so you would not want to mention "working remotely" to the POE officer. All you need to tell the POE officer is you're coming for a vacation to visit your boyfriend. You should keep your initial visits short, two weeks or so aned return when you say you will. Once you are allowed into the states, you are allowed to stay for up to 6 months as long as it was not noted otherwise by the POE officer.

Isn't that the same as not getting a B2 and just going back and forth for 6 months there, 6 months here? Or is it if I leave after six months I can go back without waiting six months again?

I'll go read up on a B2.

Thanks for replying :)

Timeline

The longer one stays, the more the POE officer may scrutinize you--May or may not--all depends on the POE officer!! Just keep in mind , you have no RIGHT for entry into the USA. My 2 cents is found below in my signature

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Isn't that the same as not getting a B2 and just going back and forth for 6 months there, 6 months here? Or is it if I leave after six months I can go back without waiting six months again?

I'll go read up on a B2.

Thanks for replying :)

Theoretically, the clock starts fresh, once you leave! BUT if the USA POE officer belives your spending to much time in the USA.....he can deny you entry!! And keep in mind, if one is spending over 6 months in the USA--or anywhere outside of Canada, one can loose their Canadian health benefits!! Which if you will loose once you move to the USA down the road.

Theoretically, the clock starts fresh, once you leave! BUT if the USA POE officer belives your spending to much time in the USA.....he can deny you entry!! And keep in mind, if one is spending over 6 months in the USA--or anywhere outside of Canada, one can loose their Canadian health benefits!! Which if you will loose once you move to the USA down the road.

Right -- and I don't want to lose those!!! I'll look into the BC medical to see how long you can be out for in order to keep them. We're not there yet I just wanted to get info and be prepared when it goes that way :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.