teesie

Canadian citizen, US boyfriend

28 posts in this topic

I have a coworker that both he and his girlfriend are able to telecommute, and they spend a month at his place in the US, then a month in Canada, and they just rotate. I don't know what they say when they deal with the border, but it works for them.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Isn't that the same as not getting a B2 and just going back and forth for 6 months there, 6 months here? Or is it if I leave after six months I can go back without waiting six months again?

I'll go read up on a B2.

Thanks for replying :)

A B2 visa is the same as what you are talking about. There is no application for Canadian citizens, you just show up at a border crossing with your passport and any proof of ties to Canada. It is a good rule of thumb to spend at least as much time out of the US as you had just previously stayed in the US for. In other words, if you come to the states for 1 month, you would want to spend at least one month if not more in Canada before attempting to return again. It's a good idea for the two of you to alternate trips, that way they are well spaced out and you still get to spend some good time together.

Filed: Timeline

A B2 visa is the same as what you are talking about. There is no application for Canadian citizens, you just show up at a border crossing with your passport and any proof of ties to Canada. It is a good rule of thumb to spend at least as much time out of the US as you had just previously stayed in the US for. In other words, if you come to the states for 1 month, you would want to spend at least one month if not more in Canada before attempting to return again. It's a good idea for the two of you to alternate trips, that way they are well spaced out and you still get to spend some good time together.

Thank you everyone! I'll update on what we decide to do when we get there!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

On a visitor visa you need to keep strong ties to Canada, steady employment, owning your own home or condo, bring a few pay stubs and a lease agreement with you. It is a visitor visa, it doesn't allow you to "live" in the US. You are not allowed to work while in the states, so you would not want to mention "working remotely" to the POE officer. All you need to tell the POE officer is you're coming for a vacation to visit your boyfriend. You should keep your initial visits short, two weeks or so aned return when you say you will. Once you are allowed into the states, you are allowed to stay for up to 6 months as long as it was not noted otherwise by the POE officer.

I do not agree with not wanting to mention "working remotely"

I work remotely and have expressed that openly to the officers every single time I cross.

Especially if they are going to be staying for long periods of time, the officer is probably going to say the same thing they did to me "(sarcastic)so your boss is just super nice and lets you take off 2 months?" to which i responded "oh, no, sorry, I have the ability to work from the computer" to which they always fully understand afterwards.

My office requires that any remote employee must return once per quarter so I always carry a letter from my employer stating my intended return date as well.

oldlady.gif

I do not agree with not wanting to mention "working remotely"

I work remotely and have expressed that openly to the officers every single time I cross.

Especially if they are going to be staying for long periods of time, the officer is probably going to say the same thing they did to me "(sarcastic)so your boss is just super nice and lets you take off 2 months?" to which i responded "oh, no, sorry, I have the ability to work from the computer" to which they always fully understand afterwards.

My office requires that any remote employee must return once per quarter so I always carry a letter from my employer stating my intended return date as well.

I don't doubt your experiences with telling the POE officer you're "working remotely" and border patrol giving you the ok, but to my knowledge it is not legal. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd like to get some confirmation either way.

Timeline

I don't doubt your experiences with telling the POE officer you're "working remotely" and border patrol giving you the ok, but to my knowledge it is not legal. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd like to get some confirmation either way.

Why would it not be illegal for me to work from the computer?

I'm still working in the US, I'm just visiting my husband in Canada right now.

The only illegal thing is working in Canada.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

disregard....

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Sorry, I thought you were working remotely while in the US, that I am pretty sure is not legal. Working remotely is allowed in Canada as long as you can show that:

Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks. To be considered a business visitor you must show that:

•you intend to stay for less than six months and do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market

•your main place of business and source of income is located outside Canada

•profits from your business will accrue outside Canada

•you can provide documents that support your application and

•you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements. You:

◦have a valid travel document, such as a passport

◦have enough money for your stay and to return home

◦plan to leave Canada at the end of your visit and

◦do not pose criminal, security or health risks to Canadians.

My link

We are not business visitors though, we are visiting our spouses/boyfriends... being able to work remote is just a blessing.

This is all part of a Canadian visitor visa, you automatically fall in to this category when visiting Canada. The US is a bit different.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the more I read the more confused I'm getting!

Do I need to apply for a B2 through a DS-160: https://ceac.state.gov/GENNIV/Default.aspx

Or am I best to just go through the border and indicated that I'm planning on staying for up to six months? If I am driving down I don't have a return ticket so do I just say the date I am leaving by? Like, say I go down on March 1st. If they ask me how long and I'm leaving August 1st (or a few days before) will they just stamp with a B-2 or I should I apply online for a B2 and get that approved?

Just when I think I've got it all figured out, I read something else that confuses me more :)

Timeline

As a Canadian, you don't need to goto a USA Embassy/Consulate to get a visitors visa to visit the USA!! This all takes place when you POE(port of entry) in ur case when u drive up to the border crossing in ur car! Very easy process!!

Where you may run into problems with---staying for such a long time!! The longer one stays, the more questions the POE officer may ask! Some POE officers may not even bat an eye and let you in! others may ask more questions--others may just say no! All depends on the POE officer!! A Cdn has no right to enter the USA and the POE officer can set how long your stay is--just because a Cdn can stay up to 6 months--does not mean the POE officer can not make your stay less for that!

I know here In Nicaragua--a Nica has to coem to the Embassy here and pay $160 just to make the application for a visitors visa--and then has some strict criteria to be met to visit the USA. If he is denied---does not get the $160 back!! This is not the case for Canadians--all done at the border, sometimes in a matter of a few minutes!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

As a Canadian, you don't need to goto a USA Embassy/Consulate to get a visitors visa to visit the USA!! This all takes place when you POE(port of entry) in ur case when u drive up to the border crossing in ur car! Very easy process!!

Where you may run into problems with---staying for such a long time!! The longer one stays, the more questions the POE officer may ask! Some POE officers may not even bat an eye and let you in! others may ask more questions--others may just say no! All depends on the POE officer!! A Cdn has no right to enter the USA and the POE officer can set how long your stay is--just because a Cdn can stay up to 6 months--does not mean the POE officer can not make your stay less for that!

I know here In Nicaragua--a Nica has to coem to the Embassy here and pay $160 just to make the application for a visitors visa--and then has some strict criteria to be met to visit the USA. If he is denied---does not get the $160 back!! This is not the case for Canadians--all done at the border, sometimes in a matter of a few minutes!!

Thank you :) Sorry for all the questions it is just so much information to sift through!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.