galephys

Example I-751 divorce waiver cover letter

4 posts in this topic

I was looking for a sample cover letter for I-751 divorce waiver, but found nothing. Instructions for I-751 say:

Page 2, Evidence of the relationship, middle of the first paragraph:

"Submit copies of as many documents as you wish to establish this fact and demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date, and to demonstrate any circumstances surrounding the end of the relationship, if it has ended."

It took me more than a week, but I came up with this:

USCIS Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

P.O. Box 200

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

I-751 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE OF <my name>, A#

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to submit a Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence for myself, <my name>. I married Mr.<ex's name> (A#, he was naturalized USC) on June 21, 2010 in good faith and was granted conditional residency on December 6, 2010. Unfortunately the marriage ended in separation on October 20, 2011. It is required by <State> law to be separated for a full year before filing for a divorce, therefore I am filing with a waiver and attaching proofs of the ongoing divorce proceedings. I will mail a final divorce decree and a name change form to complete this package as soon as possible.

The following are the description of the attachments in the submitted order:

Form I-751 waiver based on marriage entered in good faith but terminated through divorce.

A check for $590 payable from my checking account.

A copy of my permanent resident card.

A copy of my national passport showing my maiden name which I wish to use after the divorce is finalized.

A copy of my lease showing the date I separated from my husband, Mr.<name>

A copy of the letter from my lawyer to Mr.<name> initiating the divorce procedures after 6 months of separation as required by Virginia law.

A copy of Mr.<name>’s lawyer response which moved the date of separation to the date when I moved out of the marital residence.

A copy of the letter from my lawyer indicating the date of the first hearing of the case.

As an evidence of a marriage entered in good faith I attach:

A copy of my marriage certificate.

A copy of the lease addendums showing when I was added to Mr.<name>’s lease, my name change after the wedding and when Mr.<name> removed me from the lease.

Evidence of shared property:

A copy of a certificate of title for a vehicle (car) bought in March 2011, during the marriage, and owned jointly by me and Mr.<name>.

A copy of the the loan agreement for the second vehicle (car2) jointly owned be me and Mr.<name>. Since it is financed, I do not have a title to present.

A copy of the second vehicle (car2) registration for a years 2010-2013 under both our names.

Joint car insurance cards from Geico for <car2> valid from 12/2010 to 12/2011

Joint car insurance cards from Geico for <car1> valid from 3/2011 to 12/2011

Joint car insurance card from Geico for <car0> valid from 12/2010 to 6/2011

A copy of the joint insurance quote for <car0> for June 2009. Insurance company was not able to provide me an actual insurance card for that vehicle because at that time me and Mr.<name> were dating, but not married yet, and I don’t have the rights to access this information.

Evidence of shared financial resources:

A copy of the first pages of the bank statements with <FederalCreditUnion> from July 2010 to December 2011. I highlighted both our names and account names on each statement. You may see that we had a savings account and a car loan from July 2010 to February 2011, then we opened a joint checking account. In October 2011 we have separated and Mr.<name> opened and individual checking account with <FCU>. Due to privacy issues a <FCU> worker had to cut out parts of the statements which contained information about Mr.<name>’s individual account. As of now because of the separation neither joint savings, nor joint checking account is used anymore, and I do not have statements for this period.

A copy of the joint credit card agreement with <FCU>.

A copy of the joint membership/account card agreement with <FCU>.

A copy of the joint checking account with the <Bank> for June-July 2010 and November-December 2011. Because of the separation this account was closed in November 2011.

A copy of my tax return for year 2010 which I filed married, filing jointly with Mr.<name>.

A copy of my tax return for year 2011 which I filed as married, filing separate.

A copy of the letter from electrical company regarding our request for electrical services from July 29, the month I moved in with Mr.<name> at our future marital residence, showing both our names.

Copies of the natural gas bills for August 2010 and November 2011 showing both our names.

Copies of a sale agreement of a puppy (dog's name) to both me and Mr.<name>. Along with proofs of shared responsibility trough copies of veterinary records under both our names and an agreement about the dog’s future residence which me and Mr.<name> signed on the day of separation.

A proof of shared responsibility for a cat through a certificate of vaccination under both our names.

A copy of the wireless service activation form showing Mr.<name> activating a family plan for 2 phone lines, buying 2 phones and transferring 2 phone numbers from T-Mobile. Mr.<name> later removed my name from the contract and cancelled it after the separation, but my contact number remained the same.

Additionally, to provide details for a reason of the separation:

A copy of the police report dated November 12, 2011, which shows details why me and Mr.<name> had separated (highlighted).

A copy of the police report dated August 23, 2011, which documents Mr.<name>’s suicidal ideas.

A copy of the police report dated October 19, 2011, which documents the fact that me and Mr.<name> resided in the same household but different rooms at the time.

A partial copy of my individual counseling sessions, which I attended from February 2011 till August 2011. I did not include the full report due to privacy issues – I discussed many other things with the counselor besides my marriage. However, I highlighted related parts of the treatment summary, from the last appointment to the first.

I would like to briefly explain what happened to the marriage: around Christmas 2010 my husband became very jealous of all of my previous relationships, over time it developed into a problem of control, anger and emotional abuse. I went to individual therapy, my husband refused to come with me, and worked with a counselor to improve our marriage. It takes 2 people to change relationship pattern, and unfortunately I was not able to do it alone. After about 7 months of struggle I decided to end the marriage.

I must say Mr.<name> never physically hurt me, and other forms of control and abuse are extremely hard to prove (I tried, see a police report dated November 12, 2011). For this reason I am not filing to remove conditions on permanent residency with a waiver based on abuse, but I found it necessary to explain the reasons of the divorce. If you would like more details, please refer to highlighted parts of the therapy summary and police reports.

Should you have any questions, please contact me anytime.

Thank you!

Best regards,

<my name>

phone, email, date. signature.

I hope this helps someone and I sure hope this 1/2" thick package is good enough for them to approve me. Mailing it tomorrow, maximum Monday.

My immigration journey

July 2009 - F1 student PhD program

AOS
June 2010 - married USC

August 2010 - sent I-130 and I-485

December 2010 - CGC received.
December 2010 - ex-husband got crazy
May 2011 - separated
November 2012 - divorced!!

I-751 waiver

October 13 - filed I-751 waiver by myself
November 28 - BIO & InfoPass to submit a divorce decree

December 2012 - CGC expires

May 3 2013 - RFE received, asked for a divorce decree (haha) and address clarification + more evidence

July 6 2013 - RFE mailed and received

September 2013 - InfoPass, passport stamped to extend my status

November 2013 - Finally an interview is scheduled
December 12 2013 - Interview. Approved without any questions, passport stamped. Same officer who did my initial interview (I was told "I saw it coming, don't give up on love" :) )

December 27 2013 - Card received, too bad I was overseas

January 2014 US entry, special screening, but admitted instantly once I got to speak to the officer. It's a standard procedure if no valid GC on hand.

July 2015 - MARRIED in Russia

N-400

October 2015 - N-400 sent

February 2016 - interview and test

March 2015: USC!

DCF for my husband

April 2016: InfoPass to file I-130 in Moscow, approved on the same day.

May 2016: DS-260 interview - AP for "dangerous" work field

July 2016: visa issued! 59 days in AP.

May 2018: filed I-751 

June 2018: 18 months extension received

I traveled all over the world in the meantime, no problems with visas and entries, occasionally some explaining and more documents to haul around.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was looking for a sample cover letter for I-751 divorce waiver, but found nothing. Instructions for I-751 say:

Page 2, Evidence of the relationship, middle of the first paragraph:

"Submit copies of as many documents as you wish to establish this fact and demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date, and to demonstrate any circumstances surrounding the end of the relationship, if it has ended."

It took me more than a week, but I came up with this:

I hope this helps someone and I sure hope this 1/2" thick package is good enough for them to approve me. Mailing it tomorrow, maximum Monday.

Looks good. I have to ask though, why did you say you would forward the decree AND name change form? you completed the form in your maiden name correct? the divorce decree will be your name change document so there's no need for a "form".

thanks!

Yeah, I filed under my maiden name. I didn't know if there is a form or not, so I just said that. I am going to get an info-pass appointment and bring it there anyway, so who cares:)

My immigration journey

July 2009 - F1 student PhD program

AOS
June 2010 - married USC

August 2010 - sent I-130 and I-485

December 2010 - CGC received.
December 2010 - ex-husband got crazy
May 2011 - separated
November 2012 - divorced!!

I-751 waiver

October 13 - filed I-751 waiver by myself
November 28 - BIO & InfoPass to submit a divorce decree

December 2012 - CGC expires

May 3 2013 - RFE received, asked for a divorce decree (haha) and address clarification + more evidence

July 6 2013 - RFE mailed and received

September 2013 - InfoPass, passport stamped to extend my status

November 2013 - Finally an interview is scheduled
December 12 2013 - Interview. Approved without any questions, passport stamped. Same officer who did my initial interview (I was told "I saw it coming, don't give up on love" :) )

December 27 2013 - Card received, too bad I was overseas

January 2014 US entry, special screening, but admitted instantly once I got to speak to the officer. It's a standard procedure if no valid GC on hand.

July 2015 - MARRIED in Russia

N-400

October 2015 - N-400 sent

February 2016 - interview and test

March 2015: USC!

DCF for my husband

April 2016: InfoPass to file I-130 in Moscow, approved on the same day.

May 2016: DS-260 interview - AP for "dangerous" work field

July 2016: visa issued! 59 days in AP.

May 2018: filed I-751 

June 2018: 18 months extension received

I traveled all over the world in the meantime, no problems with visas and entries, occasionally some explaining and more documents to haul around.

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@galephys hi, thank u for sharing ur cover letter,  just want to ask, what was the other evidence that they asked u to provide more and whats the info pass for? thank u 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.