infamous666

Request for initial evidence (i-485)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I filed paperwork for adjustment of status a month ago, we have since received an appointment for biometrics and everything was fine until we got a letter last thursday titled "Request for initial evidence (I-485)". I am a bit confused as to what they need from me. The letter says I need to "submit a complete Federal Income Tax Return submitted to the IRS from the sponsor (me) on Form I-864, Affidavit of support for the most recent tax year."

They evidence is to be submitted to a Lee Summit Montana Address. I called the 1-800 number on the letter and they looked up the request via our case number, however the lady was not able to give me a good answer. She basically said get a lawyer to ask, set up an appointment on USCIS's website or just try to send the last years W-2 and thats it. I am just afraid that if I resend them something they already have, that my wife will just get denied...

My questions are:

- Why are they asking me to send my 2011 tax information again when I already sent it the first time attached to the I-864?

- If they want me to send the tax information AGAIN, do I need to attach it to another I-864 or can I just send the W-2 for 2011 to Montana?

I really appreciate any help any help anyone can give me as we do not have a lawyer.

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I filed paperwork for adjustment of status a month ago, we have since received an appointment for biometrics and everything was fine until we got a letter last thursday titled "Request for initial evidence (I-485)". I am a bit confused as to what they need from me. The letter says I need to "submit a complete Federal Income Tax Return submitted to the IRS from the sponsor (me) on Form I-864, Affidavit of support for the most recent tax year."

They evidence is to be submitted to a Lee Summit Montana Address. I called the 1-800 number on the letter and they looked up the request via our case number, however the lady was not able to give me a good answer. She basically said get a lawyer to ask, set up an appointment on USCIS's website or just try to send the last years W-2 and thats it. I am just afraid that if I resend them something they already have, that my wife will just get denied...

My questions are:

- Why are they asking me to send my 2011 tax information again when I already sent it the first time attached to the I-864?

- If they want me to send the tax information AGAIN, do I need to attach it to another I-864 or can I just send the W-2 for 2011 to Montana?

I really appreciate any help any help anyone can give me as we do not have a lawyer.

Thank you!

Did you send only W2, or both tax return transcripts and W-2 with the original AOS package?

Sometimes USCIS does misplace documents though.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

My questions are:

Thank you!

Lee's Summit is in Missouri, not Montana. Double check the address to avoid mailing delays.

Request for Initial Evidence means that you failed to submit a required item.

When submitting tax information the preferred manner is the tax transcript because no other supporting documents are needed. If you chose to submit a copy of a tax return, you must send the complete return which includes all schedules and supporting documents. Supporting documents are typically W2's and 1099's.

*Moved from K1 forum to Adjust Status - Family Based Visa forum*

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

Thank you!

You are right it is Missouri, not Montana :) I had sent just W-2's, no other supporting documents. I will call the 1800 number and order my 2011 tax transcript on Tuesday. Do I need to send the Transcript attached to a I-864 form, or do I just send it attached to the "Request for Initial evidence" letter and thats it?

Thank you again!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thank you!

You are right it is Missouri, not Montana :) I had sent just W-2's, no other supporting documents. I will call the 1800 number and order my 2011 tax transcript on Tuesday. Do I need to send the Transcript attached to a I-864 form, or do I just send it attached to the "Request for Initial evidence" letter and thats it?

Thank you again!!

If the RFE didn't ask for a new affidavit of support then you do not have to submit it. Best thing is to blur out personal details and case number and upload the RFE on VJ. Usually the wording is different when it asks for a new I-864. You can though - especially if your situation has changed and you wish to update it, or if you want to be on the safe side. Otherwise just submit the documents that the RFE asked for. I'd suggest(not a requirement) to add a cover letter and state what the RFE response contains, of course with the RFE on top of everything as instructed.

A side note; don't trust the customer service rep you talk to when calling USCIS. They either read from a script or know very little about specific parts of immigration. Kindalike asking a person for directions and he thinks he knows but he's not really known to the area. That's customer service, at least on tier 1 level. And if they refer you to anyone else(such as info pass appointment), it's most likely insecurity about their own answer shining through.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you!

Thank you again!!

If you have the complete tax return, you can send a copy of that. I'd include copies of the W2(s) as well just to be sure.

Transcripts don't take too long to get. They can be faxed the same day in some instances.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you have the complete tax return, you can send a copy of that. I'd include copies of the W2(s) as well just to be sure.

Transcripts don't take too long to get. They can be faxed the same day in some instances.

Tax Transcripts from IRS are the best as they include all the info and USCIS like them. :)

AOS (from H1-B) Timeline:

Day1 -- 09/23/2012 - 130, 485, 765 AOS package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day4 -- 09/26/2012 - Emails/texts acceptance confirmation in evening :-)

Day5 -- 09/27/2012 - Checks Cached

Day12-- 10/01/2012 - Received hard copies of NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765

Day16-- 10/12/2012 - Received Biometrics Appointment(appointment for 10/24/2012)

Day16 - 10/12/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Refused

Day20 - 10/16/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Successful :)

Day33 - 10/29/2012 - EAD card Production Ordered-Pleasant surprise :)

Day37 - 11/02/2012 - EAD Card received - WoW !

Day40 - 11/05/2012 - Interview letter for Dec 4 date - The BIG Day !

Day70 - 12/04/2012 - Interview done. Pray to GOD!

Day95 - 12/28/2012 - Letter for 2nd Interview in Feb

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.