7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi all, I hope I can find answer to my current Issue that I'm facing with I-864. My fiancee is finally here (very happy :), thanks to all you here at Visa Journey, and now is time to move on with her adjustment of status.

My question is: In case my income was low for the last 3 years (2009'2010'2011), but my current income is enough over $25,000 (I can prove that, I am self employed now) should I still look for additional sponsor when I'm filing the I-864?

- Our Journey -

03/2009 - Met online (Facebook)

12/10/2010 - 12/20/2010 - Met in person (Punta Cana, DR)

Dec 19, 2010 - Proposal - She said Yes :)

2011-08-18 - I-129 Sent

2011-08-24 - NOA1 received:(6 days)

2012-03-14 - NOA2 received:(203 days)

2012-03-23 - NVC packet received:(212 days)

2012-03-24 - NVC packet left:(213 days)

2012-03-29 - Packet 3 received:(218 days)

2012-04-23 - Interview Date: Passed Successfully

2012-05-02 - Visa Received

2012-06-24 - US Entry - Yeayyyyy

2012-09-18 - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My income was low for the prior 2 years, it only matters what you last return says. There are some additional requirements (documents) for self employment that I have read on posts here, just do not remember what they were. You will be fine --good luck :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Typically the only way to show proof of income for the self-employed is line 22 of the most recent 1040. I am not sure what proof you have of current self-employment income, but it could be best to wait until you have filed your 2012 taxes so your total income amount can be proven from line 22 of your 1040, or go with a joint sponsor if you want to file immediately.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My income was low for the prior 2 years, it only matters what you last return says. There are some additional requirements (documents) for self employment that I have read on posts here, just do not remember what they were. You will be fine --good luck :thumbs:

Here is the thing... I am not sure maybe it was just my "luck" or may be it's general rule.... My husband (petitioner) made over 27K for the last 3 years (2011,2010,2009), and we sent entire copies of Taxes for these 3 years, plus his current income, that wasn't that much, but enough to sponsor me. but, we got RFE on 864 saying that he can't be my sponsor. you know why? cuz he didn't work for 3 months before, and by the time we mailed all the paper work he was employed for a month. I also sent his current income, but apparently it wasn't enough. They only looked at his income "Year to Date". So, my point is, they don't care how much you have made for the last year/3years, the only care about your current income. so, do your best and provide as much evidence as you can to prove your current income.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Here is the thing... I am not sure maybe it was just my "luck" or may be it's general rule.... My husband (petitioner) made over 27K for the last 3 years (2011,2010,2009), and we sent entire copies of Taxes for these 3 years, plus his current income, that wasn't that much, but enough to sponsor me. but, we got RFE on 864 saying that he can't be my sponsor. you know why? cuz he didn't work for 3 months before, and by the time we mailed all the paper work he was employed for a month. I also sent his current income, but apparently it wasn't enough. They only looked at his income "Year to Date". So, my point is, they don't care how much you have made for the last year/3years, the only care about your current income. so, do your best and provide as much evidence as you can to prove your current income.

Was he self-employed or an employee? It makes a difference. If you are an employee, you can show current income with a letter from your employer and recent pay stubs. If you are self-employed, they consider current income to be what shows on line 22 of your most recent 1040.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We have the same problem.

My husband didnt make enough last year in tax records because he was in australia a lot of the time with me, and only was holding a part time job. This year, he had the pay stubs to show he is full time and clearly making enough to clear the poverty guidelines...

we just got a letter back asking for more information... (at least it's not denied yet!) so we are planning to just get our brother in law to co-sponsor us, instead of trying to argue that we have the income to support us both (i think the fact that we arent kicked out of our house yet and have full stomachs is proof of that!)... as far as i can tell, all the co-sponsor is there for is insurance to the government that the immigrant isnt going divorce the spous and take welfare from them :P just a signature on the page is all it takes!

honestly, get it done right the first time! it's a long wait to get the form back saying you get social security.... do what ever is easiest! and go over board with all your proof if you can. We got told that we were going overboard with our stuff and still havent been accepted yet!!!

good luck!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.