sweety-sweet

Sponsoring spouse

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Good evening,

I am the new person here. Glad to find this forum as well.

Kindly read this and advise me:

I am Permanent Residence of Canada, got married with US citizen in Nebraska on third week of September 2012. I decided to move States and live with him. Please suggest where should we start the process and what are the supporting documents that we have to prepare. Please provide the details of the info as well. How long does it normally take from sending the application form to get the immigrant visa? I do understand it can be vary but I just would like to have rough idea.

Thanking you in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This Guide here on VJ should be a good starting place for you to find information >> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

This Guide here on VJ should be a good starting place for you to find information >> http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Thank you so much.

Since I have 10 years multiple visa to States, can I visit my spouse for about a week during the time that we are processing for immigrant visa?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you so much.

Since I have 10 years multiple visa to States, can I visit my spouse for about a week during the time that we are processing for immigrant visa?

Yes you can visit but be advised that you may be refused entry. Be sure to carry evidence of strong ties to Canada should a CBP officer wish to see them.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Yes you can visit but be advised that you may be refused entry. Be sure to carry evidence of strong ties to Canada should a CBP officer wish to see them.

I dont think I will visit him during the processing time.

Please suggest me for these as well.

Note: Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

We don't have that. Because, I used to work at South East Asia. Then, I moved to Canada and just got married with him.

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

We dont live in the same place till now.

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

Again, we dont have any joint bank account.

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

We dont have the kid at all.

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

Can we give the name and contact details of the witnesses in our marriage at Nebraska.

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

Can you please give some example? We plan to do the Traditional ceremony in temple on Summer (assuming I will be there).

Kindly suggest us on this. Thank you.

Timeline

Don't worry about not having the suggested items in the instructions, USCIS will not expect a couple living apart to have such items.

For evidence of your marriage, items to include (but not limited to) pictures, copies of airline boarding passes, copies of hotel receipts, copies of receipts from trips taken together, etc.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Don't worry about not having the suggested items in the instructions, USCIS will not expect a couple living apart to have such items.

For evidence of your marriage, items to include (but not limited to) pictures, copies of airline boarding passes, copies of hotel receipts, copies of receipts from trips taken together, etc.

ႊ့Thank you so much. I have these. And I got the idea to put the name of my husband as the beneficiary of my insurance and others. Can it be good ?

Can I go to States for about 3-4 days before we start this immigration process? I am thinking seriously to have an attorney for us. If we decided to have one, do you have any rough idea of how much his/her fees?

Thank you very much.

Hi sweet-sweet! You're welcome to such a wonderful forum... You appear to have the time to do some research about your Ir-1/cr-1 visajourney...if that is the case, you don't really need a lawyer whatsoever...what an attorney will likely help you to do is to slow down the pace you can go since uscis will be communicating him and he in turn communicating you before appropiate action will be taken... Do follow the guide of the good people on this forum and you'll successful without the attornies... Wishing you all the best

Hi sweet-sweet! You're welcome to such a wonderful forum... You appear to have the time to do some research about your Ir-1/cr-1 visajourney...if that is the case, you don't really need a lawyer whatsoever...what an attorney will likely help you to do is to slow down the pace you can go since uscis will be communicating him and he in turn communicating you before appropiate action will be taken... Do follow the guide of the good people on this forum and you'll successful without the attorneys... Wishing you all the best

Hi sweet-sweet! You're welcome to such a wonderful forum... You appear to have the time to do some research about your Ir-1/cr-1 visajourney...if that is the case, you don't really need a lawyer whatsoever...what an attorney will likely help you to do is to slow down the pace you can go since uscis will be communicating him and he in turn communicating you before appropiate action will be taken... Do follow the guide of the good people on this forum and you'll successful without the attornies... Wishing you all the best

Hi sweet-sweet! You're welcome to such a wonderful forum... You appear to have the time to do some research about your Ir-1/cr-1 visajourney...if that is the case, you don't really need a lawyer whatsoever...what an attorney will likely help you to do is to slow down the pace you can go since uscis will be communicating him and he in turn communicating you before appropiate action will be taken... Do follow the guide of the good people on this forum and you'll successful without the attorneys... Wishing you all the best

Thank you. I will get 3 days off on this weekend for Thanksgiving and I will learn more.

I have some vacation days for this year. Can I go visit him before we start the immigration process?

Timeline

And I got the idea to put the name of my husband as the beneficiary of my insurance and others. Can it be good ?

It won't hurt.

Can I go to States for about 3-4 days before we start this immigration process? I am thinking seriously to have an attorney for us. If we decided to have one, do you have any rough idea of how much his/her fees?

Yes, you can go to The States for the timeframe that you mention. Regarding an attorney, whether or not you ultimately retain one is your decision. Some things to consider are how complicated is your case and how comfortable are you completing all the required paperwork.

Our journey:

Spoiler

The thing is clear here... If the OP study the guide on visajourney here it'll make it easier to understand if his/her case is completed or not, because the members here are there to assist... In case there's any complicate issue with the OP good advice can still be found here because to the best of my knowledge most people here are passionate to assisting you to get it right... Relax dear... Take a good time with your vacation to study these steps that can be found by googling the word "how to bring my spouse to live with me in the USA"... The info are easy and straightforward... You'll be asking members here for a few guide also... However, the most effective thing that I can suggest to you is to always ask your question by googling anything at all that comes to your mind... You don't have to post most of your question since you can easily find answer to each of them by typing them in the goodle search... You'll come out successful after... Wishing you the very best on your visajourney

Thank you everyone. I dont think my file is complicated. I just worry and want everything to be smooth. Here are mine :

1 I am Permanent residence of Canada. So I am still using the passport of my home country and it is valid.

2 Got married with US citizen on third week of Sep 2012 at Nebraska when I was visiting there by tourist visa

3 Came back to Canada after a few days even though I am eligible to stay there for 6 months and I have 10 years multiple re-entry visa to States. I am working full time and I have to go back to my work.

4 Decided to live in States with my husband

5 We are arranging and collecting the documents to apply the immigrant visa to States.

6 My husband will send the application letter to Chicago.

I hope my file can go through well. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It sounds like you are making all of the right decisions and choices and are gathering your information.

You are probably in the US now for the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so you know the answer to that question. Yes, you can visit during this process. You will need to bring with you proof of your need to return to Canada after your visit and having to go back to work is good proof. Bring with you copies of your pay cheque stubs and if you feel comfortable getting a letter from your employer stating that you work xxx hours and have xxx days holidays and are expected back to work it will help. If you have a lease or a mortgage where you live bring a copy of that with you, and you can also bring copies of bills that you are paying regularly in Canada (utilities, heat, gas, car insurance, etc.). All these show that you have responsibilities in Canada. Once the two of you file the I-130 petition, bring a copy of that back and forth with you as well on your visits. That shows that you are aware of the correct visa process for you to live in the US and that you are already working on it, so are unlikely to jeopardize your CR-1 visa success by staying in the US.

Yes, adding your husband to your insurance is good proof. Also list him as your spouse with the Canada Pension Plan and if you have a retirement plan with your employer. He can very likely add you as an authorized user to a credit card (my fiancee added me as an authorized user on his AmEx card before I even moved to the US), He may also be able to add your name as beneficiary to his insurance policy, add you as beneficiary to any 401(k) retirement plans he has, as well as list you as an emergency contact with his work or school. You can do the same, and then get copies of the statement and provide those as well.

You're just married so it will take time for you to get a lot of evidence but you should be able to get some very good bits of evidence by showing how the two of you are trying to co-mingle your financial and social lives even if you are not yet able to live together in the same country.

Be sure to include the marriage certificate and if there was any published announcement in the newspaper of your marriage, you can include that. Letters of affidavit from people who were at your wedding, especially if they have known the two of you while you have been dating as well, can be useful, although not as good evidence as the financial ones.

Good luck - and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Thank you for all your advice. To apply the spouse visa, we have to fill

I -129F

G-325A

I-130

I-864

DS-230

And all the supporting documents. Am I correct?

In I-129F, there is

Your fiancee will apply for a visa abroad at American Embassy or Consulate at :

I am the citizen of South East Asian country but permanent residence of Canada living and working in Toronto. I should fill as "Toronto, Canada". Is that fine?

Thanks again for all your help.

Timeline

Thank you for all your advice. To apply the spouse visa, we have to fill

I -129F

G-325A

I-130

I-864

DS-230

And all the supporting documents. Am I correct?

Only need the I-130, forget the I-129F.

I-864 and DS-230 are submitted to the NVC, not USCIS. You will not be dealing with the NVC until after you are notified by USCIS that they have approved your petition.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.