Great_Dane

Urgent question regarding school & K1!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

My K-1 Visa finally got approved after waiting for it for several weeks, very nerve-racking! :hehe: But now it's all sorted and I'm flying on sunday for my POE.

But at this last minute I've suddenly gotten doubts about something.. I currently attend online classes in my home country, which I also receive loans and student aid for. I figured that since it's not work and since it's not a US school, that I could still finish this semester online and then apply to a US school once I get my GC.

However, is this truly so? I really don't want to do anything wrong at this point, and have no interest in making my life harder than it needs to be. I've seen a few posts about people working online with a non-US company and it being a grey area, but what about school online with a non-US school?

Thanks for any help! :thumbs:

Edited by Great_Dane

Excited for the future!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved to: Moving Here and Your New Life In America, from: K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures since this is about once arrived in the US.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You have to check the rules of the student aid and then the school before being concerned about how it is in the US.

I'm only saying that because SU styrelsen(pretty sure that's what you're referring to) can be strict about your presence. If you can't physically be present at the school when and if required, then they have the right to reimburse you for the amount you've collected since moving, both the loan and aid.

Canadians can collect unemployment after moving however that's a rule in their home country that allows them to do so. It's verboten, illegal and a no-go for Danes moving overseas. So contact your school/SU styrelsen before anything else.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's not something that will matter for the US, but it MIGHT matter for your home country. I looked into doing distance education (online classes) from Australia while here as well, but there are residency requirements that I don't meet.

....then they have the right to reimburse you for the amount you've collected since moving, both the loan and aid.

Do you mean they have the right to COLLECT from her the amount she's collected? The bolded portion means that she would collect more money from the government, but the next part talks about what she's already collected... so just clarifying.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It's not something that will matter for the US, but it MIGHT matter for your home country. I looked into doing distance education (online classes) from Australia while here as well, but there are residency requirements that I don't meet.

Do you mean they have the right to COLLECT from her the amount she's collected? The bolded portion means that she would collect more money from the government, but the next part talks about what she's already collected... so just clarifying.

Sorry yes. Brain cough!

And it does matter for home country. There is a residency requirement. Not only that, there's also a requirement of living where you last registred the adress(it matters if you're adress is at a friend's place yet you're actually living with your parents). Most importantly, when permanently leaving Denmark, there are certain procedures to follow because abandoning residency is different than just studying overseas temp.

OP - here's a fraction from su.dk: "Flytter du til udlandet gælder der særlige regler. Hvis du er på studieophold i udlandet som en del af din danske uddannelse, skal du henvende dig til en SU-medarbejder på dit danske uddannelsessted, når du flytter til udlandet. Læser du en hel uddannelse i udlandet, skal du melde flytning til udlandsenheden i styrelsen på mail (suudl@su.dk) eller per brev. "

Here's another link: http://www.su.dk/udland/kontakt/Sider/default.aspx

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just an FYI in case this pops up in a search for somebody else. It is unacceptable to collect Employment Insurance while even traveling outside of Canada. People do and it often goes unnoticed, but it's not actually acceptable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

But it's perfectly legal to collect EI when one permanently moves to US for marriage ( K1 or IR1/CR1 ). Just an FYI.

Just an FYI in case this pops up in a search for somebody else. It is unacceptable to collect Employment Insurance while even traveling outside of Canada. People do and it often goes unnoticed, but it's not actually acceptable.

Timeline

You're not going to get into trouble from the US end - you don't get paid to go to school. Student loans and financial aid are not a salary. But you'd have to talk to your school about whether they'd let you continue your studies from overseas. It may or may not be possible.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks all for the responses! :) I did not write because I was traveling to the US and was without internet for a few days. I finally got here and had no hassle or problems at my POE, so that is good.

To answer another question, I did receive permission from my Danish school to finish this current semester abroad online, so that at least will not be a problem.

You're not going to get into trouble from the US end - you don't get paid to go to school. Student loans and financial aid are not a salary. But you'd have to talk to your school about whether they'd let you continue your studies from overseas. It may or may not be possible.

That's really great! I was very worried because technically it is a source of income, just one from school and not work, and not in the U.S.

Does this also count for other sources of income abroad? Before I left I put severel of my posessions for sale, and I am wondering if I am allowed to receive the money for these things, or even make a deal in the first place. The things I am selling are in Denmark and will be in danish currency. My parents are helping me sell it for me, but I will receive the money. It's not a store or anything like that though, and I am not offering a service of any kind. But I still wonder if it is allowed? :help:

Excited for the future!

Timeline

The reason you're not allowed to 'work' before you have a work permit is you're theoretically taking a job away from an American citizen... selling your own personal property is not 'work', so you don't need to worry about it. Starting an Ebay business and selling everyone else's stuff on commission would be 'work' - an American could be doing it if you weren't. But they're not going to be selling YOUR stuff in your home country. What you do with your own posessions is your own business unless you sell them for enough to make Uncle Sam want his kick in taxes...

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.