kels_et_sam

DS-134

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi all. So I just received my NOA2, and I am trying to get everything ready for my fiance's visa appointment. For the DS-134, I am not sure if I would need a co-sponsor. I have been at a full-time job for 6th months now, but I don't own my own home, or have a ton saved in the bank. How do you figure out if you need a co-sponsor, and if I do need one, what should they fill out?

Also, I noticed for some of the things I need to send my fiance, they call for "originals." Does that mean I have to mail it to him, or can I just scan and email it?

Thanks for all of your support, you guys have been such a blessing.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For the I-134 you need to provide proof that you can support your fiance with current income. So figure out what your annual income is from your job, and if it is enough to support your fiance, based on 125% of the poverty guidelines, then you probably don't need a cosponsor. For a household size of 2 I believe you need to make just under $19,000. If you do need a cosponsor, they will fill out the same form I-134, just like you will have to fill out. Provide proof to back up your income: employment letter, paystubs.

Timeline

Hi there,You MUST provide originals the day of your interview.I had to Fed-ex him all the original documents;only paid $120.00(express service) from California to Paris.I would scan anything...not worth the risk.

Timeline

Hi there,You MUST provide originals the day of your interview.I had to Fed-ex him all the original documents;only paid $120.00(express service) from California to Paris.I would scan anything...not worth the risk.

What originals did you sent over? The hardcopies of the NOA1 and NOA2, or something else?

Also, I need to get a letter from my employer. Should I do that now, or wait a couple weeks until the date is more recent. I'm not sure how long it will take for the visa appointment, maybe 2-3 months, but I don't want to wait to the last minute to the employer letter, or have the date be too old.

Thanks!

Here are the 2012 Poverty Guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If it's just the two of you, then you will be fine without a co-sponsor if you make at least $18,912. While it is country-specific as to the guideline they use (100% vs. 125%), most are looking for a consistent source of income, so the fact that you have a job and receive a regular paycheck is a good thing. Good luck!

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Here are the 2012 Poverty Guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If it's just the two of you, then you will be fine without a co-sponsor if you make at least $18,912. While it is country-specific as to the guideline they use (100% vs. 125%), most are looking for a consistent source of income, so the fact that you have a job and receive a regular paycheck is a good thing. Good luck!

Thanks LeftCoastLady! Do you think it will matter if I have only been at the job for 6 months?

Timeline

What originals did you sent over? The hardcopies of the NOA1 and NOA2, or something else?

Also, I need to get a letter from my employer. Should I do that now, or wait a couple weeks until the date is more recent. I'm not sure how long it will take for the visa appointment, maybe 2-3 months, but I don't want to wait to the last minute to the employer letter, or have the date be too old.

Thanks!

I sent all the ORIGINAL documents from packet 1(birth certificate, boarding passes,my French student ID,school certificate,pictures,etc) AND ORIGINALS from packet 3(3 year taxes -including co-sponsor's-,2 month bank statements, 2 months pay stubs,letter from my employer).You don't need to send hard copies of your NOAs.To be honest with you , I waited until we received the letter from the Embassy to ask my boss for the letter. It only took 5 minutes... literally!I just didn't want to have an old letter ;it might not be a big deal ,but I just wanted everything to be flawless. GOOD LUCK!

Timeline

I sent all the ORIGINAL documents from packet 1(birth certificate, boarding passes,my French student ID,school certificate,pictures,etc) AND ORIGINALS from packet 3(3 year taxes -including co-sponsor's-,2 month bank statements, 2 months pay stubs,letter from my employer).You don't need to send hard copies of your NOAs.To be honest with you , I waited until we received the letter from the Embassy to ask my boss for the letter. It only took 5 minutes... literally!I just didn't want to have an old letter ;it might not be a big deal ,but I just wanted everything to be flawless. GOOD LUCK!

Isn't that risky to send the original of your birth certificate? I obviously did not send an original in my 129F petition. Same with paystubs. If anything happened to them, or I am called to give originals in the future, that would be a major issue, right? Everything I sent in with my 129F was a copy (aside from the actual 129F, the G325A, and the signed statements from me and my fiance and the pictures).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Umm please dont send them your original birth certificate.

Isn't that risky to send the original of your birth certificate? I obviously did not send an original in my 129F petition. Same with paystubs. If anything happened to them, or I am called to give originals in the future, that would be a major issue, right? Everything I sent in with my 129F was a copy (aside from the actual 129F, the G325A, and the signed statements from me and my fiance and the pictures).

Do not send them original documents like this. Keep the originals for yourself and bring them along to the interview. Give USCIS copies.

Timeline

If I (USC) am not going to the interview, should I send any originals to my fiance?

I apologize for all these questions, but I feel like I'm getting conflicting answers. I was planning on scanning all of my paystubs, bank statements, birth certificate, passport, employer letter, NOA1 and NOA2 etc. and emailing them to my fiance.

Is that what other people did? I can certainly mail them, but I wouldn't want to mail any originals because of the possibility of it getting lost.

Thanks Evylin! Did you bring any original documents to your interview?

The only originals I brought were my own. My police certificate and birth certificate. They asked to see them, but only kept copies.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

The only original docs that you need to send to your fiance are:

- I-134 signed by you

- letter from your employer

- a NEW letter of intent with your original signature

No need to be originals, scanned copies work:

- pay stubs

- tax returns

No need for NOA2 copy, your birth certificate, etc

No need also to use FedEx and pay $120. My fiance used USPS, that was about $40 and it arrived safely after about 10 days.

Try to send those documents to your french fiance as soon as you can. If he/she has all the docs needed for his/her interview (not only your docs, but his/hers) when he/she will receive the first letter from the Paris Embassy (called Packet 3), he/she will be able to send back to them the DS-2001 Notification of Applicant Readiness (included in Packet 3) quickly (+DS-230 Part I), and so, not loose time.

More infos, look here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=France&cty=Paris Show this link to your fiance also, it will be useful to him/her for sure. :)

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.