Rwlaird

Tourist visa at Kiev embassy

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife's parents were denied today for the second time. We have a baby due soon and they would like to visit. They presented documents showing they both have jobs and own three pieces of property. Does anyone know if Kiev has decided to stop issuing tourist visas or what is going on? Thanks!

Timeline

Well, they weren't really easily issuing b1/b2 to begin with... Have your parents ever been else where? Europe? Any country that requires visa? If not, there is 99% chance they will not get tourist visa to USA. We went through that... My MIL went on the bus tour to Ukraine-Hungary-Italy-Ukraine at the beginning of August 2011. Applied for visa first time and got 5 year multi entry! :dance: My wife (fiance at that time) tried unsuccessfully two times and we just applied for K-1... :ph34r:

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Timeline

They have never been out of Ukraine. I have heard that as a factor but never heard more than a rumor, nothing substantial. I don't see that stated anywhere. We all know that this crazy agency seems to follow a lot of unwritten rules but 99 percent seems pretty sure. Do you know anywhere that such a policy is stated? I would appreciate any more detailed information. Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They have never been out of Ukraine. I have heard that as a factor but never heard more than a rumor, nothing substantial. I don't see that stated anywhere. We all know that this crazy agency seems to follow a lot of unwritten rules but 99 percent seems pretty sure. Do you know anywhere that such a policy is stated? I would appreciate any more detailed information. Thank you!

One of your in-laws may be successful when applying. Both together is going to be tougher.

The guideline is that the interviewing officer has to believe that the person being granted the visa will leave at the end of the granted stay. In your case both parents going to the US where their daughter and new grandchild is living is a tough hurdle to overcome. Grandma coming over to help out after the child is born sounds more reasonable.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

I wondered if Grandma might have a better chance by applying alone. Since Grandpa would be home alone that should be a pretty strong tie back home. We just thought that jobs and property should be enough to demonstrate that they will go back home. The plan was for Grandma to probably come alone at least at first anyway but we thought they might as well both apply, travel to Kiev together for the interview, etc. so that Grandpa could already get a visa in case he wants to visit later. If that is what they were thinking it could have been real simple by them telling us that and only approving one visa and rejecting the other but I guess that would be too logical for government bureaucrats.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I wondered if Grandma might have a better chance by applying alone. Since Grandpa would be home alone that should be a pretty strong tie back home. We just thought that jobs and property should be enough to demonstrate that they will go back home. The plan was for Grandma to probably come alone at least at first anyway but we thought they might as well both apply, travel to Kiev together for the interview, etc. so that Grandpa could already get a visa in case he wants to visit later. If that is what they were thinking it could have been real simple by them telling us that and only approving one visa and rejecting the other but I guess that would be too logical for government bureaucrats.

Both applied and went to the interview. The CO isn't there to counsel them.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In that case, they should have told the IO that grandpa's visa was unnecessary.

At any rate, she can schedule a new interview and try and get a visa for herself alone. Hopefully it should work!

Failing that, the idea of leaving the Ukraine for another country which also requires a visa might help them earn the confidence of the US consulate. I am sure there isn't a written rule about this but it seems to work in most cases.

Good luck to them and congrats to you & wife!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

We might try Grandma applying alone again at some point but they are both pretty frustrated at this point and don't want to waste more time and money going back to play the lottery again, especially since we are all just guessing that it would make a difference.

Excuse me, but the CO is supposed to be a public servant being paid by taxpayer dollars and applicant fees. She asked for a explanation of why they were being denied again after presenting documents demonstrating ties back home and he just smiled and said no. It wouldn't take him two minutes to give them a little piece of advice instead of just coldly denying them. That isn't asking too much after they have paid the fees and traveled to Kiev twice. It's not like we're asking for a long consultation.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

We might try Grandma applying alone again at some point but they are both pretty frustrated at this point and don't want to waste more time and money going back to play the lottery again, especially since we are all just guessing that it would make a difference.

Excuse me, but the CO is supposed to be a public servant being paid by taxpayer dollars and applicant fees. She asked for a explanation of why they were being denied again after presenting documents demonstrating ties back home and he just smiled and said no. It wouldn't take him two minutes to give them a little piece of advice instead of just coldly denying them. That isn't asking too much after they have paid the fees and traveled to Kiev twice. It's not like we're asking for a long consultation.

It doesn't matter. Their job is not to trade on visas. They are there to analyze the requests as they come. I would think in most cases, couples should wish to travel together, so there is no point in offering one visa only. Also, consider that they may have been denied for a reason that would prevent them from getting a visa individually...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The public servant's job is not to provide any consultation. If visa applicants want a consultation, then they can go see a lawyer. The public servant's job is to provide the services requested by the applicants - review the visa application. His job is not to advise the couple on how to successfully apply. In fact, it runs counter to objectively reviewing the applications. If he "consulted" on the applications, then how can his judgment be impartial?

Timeline

Pretty simple -- the job of a public servant is to serve. The State Department website says that an applicant would be given a reason if they are denied a visa. A smile and a "no" does not constitute a reason.

Timeline

I know it is frustrating but the truth of the matter is a lot of people abuse the tourist visa. If every person who was granted a tourist visa visited the USA and returned when they were supposed to don't you think everyone would get a visa? I had similar troubles and I contacted my US Senator and he sent a letter of support to the Embassy in Kiev. Did it help? Who knows but when my MIL applied again she was granted a single entry visa after previous denial and after a visit and return she applied again and was granted a 5-year visa.

Timeline

Rwlaird, you can be frustrated, mad, upset. But the thing is the only reason for denial - not enough reasons to come back. And if you can't show that you already came back once from somewhere, or you really have huge ties back home - there you go, not enough. And having a job in Ukraine doesn't mean anything if you "decided not to come back". And especially it is for couples...

And no it doesn't say anywhere about any other trip/trips. Would be to easy to get visa and that's not what it's about...

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.