Heysofia

Affidavit of Support

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok so I know when you need the I-134 support thing that you do tax returns as part of it, but see in Australia we have only one type of tax return and I'm getting confused about what I need to tell my fiance and his mother what they need when I keep hearing all these w-2s, 1099s and schedule C stuff. What are all of these different forms and which ones do you need for the affidavit of support? Can you like explain each type? Also where can you get copies of these(from like official government websites, file for them to send you another copy)?

"Somewhere there's someone who dreams of your smile..." - Unknown

Our Journey

Mid-2008 - Meet on the online game, Runescape (total geeks haha)

September 7th, 2008 - Started our relationship :)

June 26th, 2012 - FINALLY meet in person after the long, necessary wait...Stayed with him for 7 weeks :) More in love than ever

August 22nd, 2012 - Sent off I-129F Petition

August 29th, 2012 - NOA1 Received via. Email(hardcopy about a week later in the mail)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You only need supporting documents from the USC showing that he/she can support the foreign fiance(e).

~K1 Visa~
March 10, 2012 - Mailed I-129F
March 15, 2012 - NOA1 received
July 24, 2012 – NOA2 received
July 30, 2012 - NVC Received
August 2, 2012 - NVC sent case to Embassy
August 3, 2012 - Embassy received
August 8, 2012 - Packet 3 received
August 16, 2012 – Received interview date
August 17, 2012 - Packet 4 received
August 17, 2012 - Received medical exam date
August 23, 2012 - Medical exam (PASSED)
September 7, 2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
September 21, 2012 - Visa Received
October 4, 2012 - POE (Miami)

October 19, 2012 - Applied for ssn & driver's permit

October 26, 2012 - Received restricted ssn

December 26, 2012 - Got driver's license using I-94
December 28, 2012 - Got married

~AOS~
February 19, 2013 - Mailed AOS package
February 27, 2013 - Email confirmation of AOS package received
March 7, 2013 - NOA received
March 19, 2013 - Post office returned biometrics appt letter saying it was undeliverable
April 12, 2013 - Appt at local USCIS office/Biometrics appt letter received at local office
April 12, 2013 - Biometrics Appt
April 19, 2013 - Online status says interview date was scheduled and notice was mailed out
April 22, 2013 - NOA received for Interview

May 7, 2013 - EAD & AP was approved
May 23, 2013 - AOS Interview (APPROVED)

May 29, 2013 - Received welcome notice letter

June 1, 2013 - Received greencard

June 3, 2013 - Got driver's license using GC

June 10, 2013 - Received EAD & AP

~ROC~

May 23, 2013 - Became a US Resident

February 22, 2015 - Earliest accepted filing date for ROC

May 23, 2015 - Conditional residency expires

Timeline

My fiance's mother is co-sponsoring us, and I know you need pay stubs etc, but you also need tax returns. So I was wondering which tax returns etc and where they could find them online to get copies sent to them/re-issued.

Our Journey

June 26th, 2012 - FINALLY meet in person after the long, necessary wait...Stayed with him for 7 weeks :) More in love than ever

August 29th, 2012 - NOA1 Received via. Email(hardcopy about a week later in the mail)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok so I know when you need the I-134 support thing that you do tax returns as part of it, but see in Australia we have only one type of tax return and I'm getting confused about what I need to tell my fiance and his mother what they need when I keep hearing all these w-2s, 1099s and schedule C stuff. What are all of these different forms and which ones do you need for the affidavit of support? Can you like explain each type? Also where can you get copies of these(from like official government websites, file for them to send you another copy)?

it is the responsibility of the USC to provide the alien spouse with the I-134 and other supporting docs to take to the interview.......this include a current job letter, the last 3 pay stubs and the last 3 years W-2s tax return. :thumbs: . If the USC is up to date with his/her taxes, they should know exactly what this is. still unclear?

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your USC fiance and his mother should know what the tax forms and W-2s are. Here is where they can order free tax transcripts from the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

If they have the transcripts from the IRS, that is all they need as far as taxes are concerned.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

So all they need to get for my interview is the W-2 tax returns?

Our Journey

Timeline

So all they need to get for my interview is the W-2 tax returns?

A W-2 is not a tax return. They need a complete tax return including all forms, schedules, attachments, W-2s and/or 1099s, OR an IRS tax return transcript. They can get free tax transcripts from the IRS on the phone or online. Follow the link I posted above. If they provide the IRS transcripts, they do not need to provide their W-2s. The tax transcripts are all they need.

In addition to their 2011 tax transcript:: To prove current income, they can supply a letter from their employer and/or recent pay stub(s). They each fill out an I-134 and provide those things. The co-sponsor also needs to provide proof of being a USC or LPR.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Alright cool, thanks :thumbs: Yea we had employer letters, pay stubs, extra evidence etc, it's just since I understand this stuff a bit more(since I've travelled a lot) I figured I'd take the reins on the visa stuff, but awesome :) I'll tell them to just get the IRS tax return transcripts so then we don't have to worry about the other stuff :):thumbs:

Our Journey

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Alright cool, thanks :thumbs: Yea we had employer letters, pay stubs, extra evidence etc, it's just since I understand this stuff a bit more(since I've travelled a lot) I figured I'd take the reins on the visa stuff, but awesome :) I'll tell them to just get the IRS tax return transcripts so then we don't have to worry about the other stuff :):thumbs:

You still need employer letter, paystubs, w-2, along with the tax transcripts. They will deny the i 134 without it.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

You still need employer letter, paystubs, w-2, along with the tax transcripts. They will deny the i 134 without it.

Still need the employer letter and recent pay stub(s), but no W-2 is needed when using IRS transcripts. If the sponsor filed jointly, then they should also provide their W-2 to show their own personal income. OR if Australia requires the W-2 with all I-134s no matter what.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Timeline

Also when they file out the transcripts it will need to be for the past 3 years. Good luck

Only the most recent tax transcript is needed. You can always go ahead and get the last 3 years when you order, since you will need the last 3 years tax info for the I-864 when adjusting status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.