Fight for Love

after fiance arrived...what and how?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i was wondering as soon as my fiance arrived how do we apply for sss and CA ID?

what documentation they need to apply?

Do i need to be with him to apply? can he do it alone? (i can't come due to work schedule)

any ideas...thanks

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

i was wondering as soon as my fiance arrived how do we apply for sss and CA ID? Get married and start AOS process ASAP. Become familiar with the AOS family visa forum. And the SSN forum.

what documentation they need to apply? Depends on various state laws and regulations, consult state DOL,DMV, etc. website for details. Each state is different.

Do i need to be with him to apply? can he do it alone? (i can't come due to work schedule) Depends on local/state requirements, check locally for details and information, each state is different.

any ideas...thanks

To sum it up in a few words: READ the forums mentioned and your local/state rules and regulations.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

To sum it up in a few words: READ the forums mentioned and your local/state rules and regulations.

okay thanks...i called DMV...i think to be able to apply for CA ID the applicant need to have SSS# or proof of resident...oh my i'm still confused lol (i remember my brother in law his from canada for some reason he did apply for driver license here..oh well maybe that's different..lol

thanks!!!

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

SSN and DL can be done by your fiance alone, no problem on that point.

First, apply for a SSN. Have him go the nearest SS office (or Card Center if you have both near your home) about 2 weeks after his arrival. He will have to show his passport with visa, the stapled I-94 inside and have form SS-5 ready. More infos, look here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Second, the CA DL. I suggest he waits until he get his EAD (temporary work authorization, apply for it at the same time he will apply to adjust his status) or green card before applying for the DL. The EAD should come 2-3 months after applying for it, and should be processed faster than the green card.

Reason I don't recommend you to apply for a DL only with a passport and stapled I-94 inside is because the I-94 will have a 3 months expiration date starting the date he'll enter the US with his visa. Time that you get married, time that he applies and actually receives his SS card and number, and it should at least a month past. Then applying for the DL, the DMV will probably see that his legal status time is 2 months left. EAD and green card have a longer validity (1 year and 2 years respectively) so it will be easier for the DMV to verify his status. You will quickly notice that updates between the SSA, DHS and DMV are extremely slow.

I applied for a CA DL last year, I was in the US with a J-1 visa. Passed all the tests in May, and in late August, I received a letter saying my DL couldn't be processed because my legal status couldn't be verified. I sent the required documents but still, never got my DL (I guess because my legality was expiring a few weeks later).

Passed my DL again this month, with a green card in hand, received the DL card a week after!

Does he have a DL from his home-country? If yes, check on the web (country consulate in the US maybe) to see if his DL is valid in CA the first few months, or if there's some kind of international DL he can request in his home country before leaving.

More infos here for the CA DL and which documents he will need to bring: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process to "Moving Here" forum -- questions are at that level. ***

OP, see the pinned thread in the "Moving Here" forum for possible help with the Calif. DL.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.