Beantownbabe

Boston, M.A N-400 interview experience!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi all,

Yesterday I had my Naturalization interview in Boston and thought that maybe someone would like to read about the experience! I am a June filer. My appointment was at 2pm in the JFK building in Boston. I arrived very early, sat outside for a while before going in. I got to the first room and was surprised to see almost no-one there! The guy at reception allowed me to check in at 1.15pm, before sending me to the next room to wait. There, they took my interview Notice and told me to have a seat. There were only THREE others waiting among a sea of empty chairs!!! One interviewer came out and took one of the other applicants and I was secretly glad he didn't call on me because he looked so grumpy! Once that applicant came back out (with a smile on her face!) she told me that the same (grumpy looking) interviewer had actually been extremely nice to her!!! At about 2.20 I was called and followed the interviewer Palmer into the office. There were lots of open 'cubicles' and I was asked to put down my things before raising my right hand and swearing to tell the truth. The interview space is not at all private and if there is anyone else being interviewed beside you at the same time, you will likely hear their questions and responses! I found it strange to be able to actually see and hear another person's interview!

Palmer basically went through my application form with me, checking things off as I verified them. Right at the beginning, he gave me something to verify and sign -- information for my oath ceremony. He couldn't find his pen and I jokingly told him he had way too much stuff on his desk -- he smiled and agreed. Out of the blue and without missing a beat, he began asking me my "questions." He took my by surprise because one moment he was talking about my application form and then the next he said, "and do you know when the Declaration of Independence was adopted?" As quick as he asked it, I answered correctly and he went on with the next question. The questions are already printed on the paperwork in your file, so they already know what they are going to ask you before the interview. My other questions were:

What is the name of one of the longest rivers in the U.S?

Who is the Speaker of the House right now?

What are the first ten amendments to the Constitution?

Who lived here before the Europeans came?

I then had to write the phrase, "Lincoln was President during the Civil War" I got nervous and spelled 'civil' wrong, but the corrected it -- when I told Palmer, he simply smiled and shook his head, saying "it doesn't matter!" After that, he basically congratulated me and said he was approving my application -- and as he spoke he stamped a big red "Approved" in a box on my paper work! It was good to see!!! I told him, "Phew, that was painless!" and he laughed. He told me to go back out and wait and that someone would bring me some paperwork. I thanked him, told him to have a great weekend and left!

I waited in the waiting room for maybe five or ten minutes and Palmer came back out with a blue sheet of paper for me. I was almost too afraid to look at it, so i waited until he was gone then scanned it for the date. I have dreamed of becoming a Citizen so that i can vote in this upcoming election and I'd have to register by October 17th in this State. Imagine my surprise when I saw the Oath date was September 20th -- less than a week away!!! Yippee! I was ECSTATIC and I waited until I got outside before I literally squealed out loud! So all in all, the N-400 process took me about 3.5 months to complete! Phew, it's almost over! :dance:

I know this was long but hopefully it helped someone who may have an upcoming interview...or anyone who is bored!!!

N-400 Journey

June 9th 2012 - Application sent

June 14th 2012 - NOA sent

June 28th - Biometrics letter sent -- July 26th Appointment date

July 12th 2012 - Early Biometrics/Walk-in

August ( ) - Interview letter received -- September 14th Interview date

September 14th 2012 - Interview! Oath date in hand, September 20th @ noon!

Congrats on the interview and quick oath date :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thanks for sharing your experience! We're still going through K-1 but it's good to know what's coming up for my fiance. I shared it with him too :)

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you very much beantownbabe ! I'm going to file for N400 in this coming Nov. It's good to know that you've gone through the end of your journey without any problems. Congrats!!! I thought it would take atleast 6 months for the interview. I hope my interview day would be smooth like yours at Boston office.

• 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ for 3 years, and this thread is from 2012 (and is now closed).  You might want to search this forum for any recent threads about Boston.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.