Kasha

Denied entry into US - signed "Withdrawal of Admission" - am I flagged forever?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone,

In case you aren't tired of hearing these stories, here's another.

I planned a trip two months ago to see a friend in DC. I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto.

I'm a web developer and she needs a website, so I agreed to make part of our trip 'strictly business' - i.e. I was going to make her a site for free.

I was so tired that morning, up at 5am...didn't think about it but on my card ticked off that my trip was 'business' - what a mistake!

They refused me entry onto the plane, took my picture and fingerprints, and made me sign a "Withdrawal of Admission".

I was almost in tears at this point, seeing I was visibly upset the agents of the CBP came to give me a hug...NOT. They actually slapped me with some forms instructing me to visit a US-based doctor to screen me for psychiatric issues before I was to ever travel again. For a $250 fee.

So I lost my ticket ($300), have to pay $250 and lost work I was to do that week had I stayed. In essence, this debacle cost me close to $800.

But let's not worry about that. This is my issue:

I want to travel to Japan in November from Los Angeles because it's half the cost of a ticket from Canada. Will I be able to cross the border? I'm planning a world trip, so won't be able to prove ties to Canada with a lease or pay stubs.

Am I flagged forever?

Does anyone have experience? I eagerly await your stories! Thanks...

Also does anyone have any experience with "Panel Physicians" and that psychiatric screening I have to do? Will that be on my record too?

CBP employees are welcome to respond....if you're here :unsure: - I know you're all doing your job, but what happened has seriously screwed things up for me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One post removed for trying to stir things up from another thread.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Approx. 2 years ago, I was given a "Withdrawal of Admission" while trying to fly to the US. The CBP officer at the airport informed me that I did not have strong enough ties to Canada and advised me at that time NOT to attempt entry to the US again (land, air or sea) until at minimum, 6 months had passed AND I had some very strong proofs that I was living in Canada.

When I was refused, the port director actually told me that if I tried again before those 6 months had passed, they would "remove" me (which is much more serious than having a withdrawal of admission). He pretty much told me that he was doing me a favor by giving me the opportunity to withdraw my application to be admitted into the US and by trying again before those 6 months passed by would be akin to me saying I didn't respect the laws of the US.

Dunno why you'd have to see a doctor just because you were upset - that seems a bit drastic.

Good luck.

Edited by Sweetcheeksss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you flagged forever? No, but you certainly have an uphill battle to prove that you will not stay in LA.

I honestly would try to get a flight from Vancouver instead of LA. Only use LA as a last resort, no one can guarentee you'll be admitted because you need to be admitted to the USA before your trip to Japan

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

To cross the border to get to LA, you would need to be admitted into the US. With a Withdrawal of Admission two months ago and lack of ties to Canada, you are unlikely to be allowed to enter the US so you can fly out from LA.

At this point, you cannot count on being able to enter the US for awhile.

Thanks for your replies. They never gave me a six-month time frame...did I get a different "Withdrawal of Admission"? In fact the officer told me that if I wanted to fly out in Nov. I better be able to prove my ties.

Sweetcheeksss, did you cross after your experience? Were you successful?

Timeline

I was only allowed to cross one time before I crossed and activated my spousal visa.

It was Christmas, we (my lawyer and I) were waiting on the consulate in Montreal to actually issue my visa and my husband had an imminent deployment to Afghanistan. I spoke to the port director at the airport, showed him a TON of proof that I was indeed living in Canada and doing my immigration legally and so he paroled me into the US for weeks. He actually stamped my passport and wrote in it "No AoS allowed - must be back in Canada no later than 01/04/11"

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the last time you had an issue with the CBP they notated in their computer about the interaction y'all had and what you said to them, what they said to you, etc. In my opinion, I think you should fly out of Canada, because if you are denied entry, you will have wasted the entire price of your trip.

Oh I'm definitely flying out of Canada after reading this thread. I'm thinking I may never go back to the states again actually.

How do you know about what they record in their computer? There were definitely problems, I won't deny that. They were being completely unreasonable and unfair and I let them know how I felt.

Timeline

There's no way to see what they write. I filed a FOIA request from CBP and I got my file but the things I wanted to see were all blacked out. All in the name of Homeland Security lol.

So, I never have (and probably never will) get to see what they "have" on me.

Edited by Sweetcheeksss

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Few years back I was denied entry to US [was going to see my BF now husband] as i didn't have enough proof to show my ties to Canada. my fingerprints etc were taken and officer told me not try to enter to US within 6 months. He gave me a list of documents i could show to prove my ties to Canada. I went after a while on border with my university class schedule, tax returns, bank statements, hospital appointment etc and they let me in. But whenever i entered after the denial of entry they always gave me i-94 with a date to return. But i was flagged whenever they scanned my passport it came up and the drilling started. they record each and every word you say at the border to the officer and they refer back to it all the time.

if i were you i will not take chance and waste ticket.

Filed: Other Timeline

Tell me the I-212 entry in your passport, down to the last letter.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

There is no entry in my passport. I was given a form to sign that said "Withdrawal of Admission" and medical forms for psychiatric clearance. I wonder if any of this was recorded.

I signed the Withdrawal forms, then left to get some documents. After I returned they didn't even see me, just glanced at my documents and said they weren't sufficient. I got upset, spoke to a supervisor, then they said I didn't seem mentally stable - and I WAS upset because they were being unreasonable.

I don't know...should I see a lawyer or file with DHS Trip?

Oh I'm definitely flying out of Canada after reading this thread. I'm thinking I may never go back to the states again actually. How do you know about what they record in their computer?

The computer they have in front of you while talking to you - They use that to type in what you say, word by word.

and I WAS upset because they were being unreasonable. I don't know...should I see a lawyer or file with DHS Trip?

Just how upset were you? They should be used to people crying/tearing up, and my understanding is that they're generally understanding of that. Talking to them as if they're Wal-Mart customer service however is generally never a good idea.

It seems a little extreme to say you have mental problems..

Edited by jaejayC

The computer they have in front of you while talking to you - They use that to type in what you say, word by word.

Just how upset were you? They should be used to people crying/tearing up, and my understanding is that they're generally understanding of that. Talking to them as if they're Wal-Mart customer service however is generally never a good idea.

It seems a little extreme to say you have mental problems..

Well they did what they did...now I have these forms I need my doctor to fill out and have to take them to a "homeland security approved" doctor here in Canada for $250! Has anyone heard of such a thing??

Well they did what they did...now I have these forms I need my doctor to fill out and have to take them to a "homeland security approved" doctor here in Canada for $250! Has anyone heard of such a thing??

Yes, I was upset and teared up. I planned that trip for two months, saved a lot of money and my ticket was non-refundable. When they said I needed proof/documentation I ran out to get it and was back within an hour. The guy called me 'desperate' and said I seemed "mentally unstable". Well if you hadn't taken a vacation in years wouldnt you be upset???

Well they did what they did...now I have these forms I need my doctor to fill out and have to take them to a "homeland security approved" doctor here in Canada for $250! Has anyone heard of such a thing??Yes, I was upset and teared up. I planned that trip for two months, saved a lot of money and my ticket was non-refundable. When they said I needed proof/documentation I ran out to get it and was back within an hour. The guy called me 'desperate' and said I seemed "mentally unstable". Well if you hadn't taken a vacation in years wouldnt you be upset???

I'm sorry for your situation. All I can say is "that sucks."

Did you actually yell/shout at them, or were you just in tears?

At this point I would definitely fly out of Vancouver. The fare might be more expensive, but if you choose the LA layover you may actually have wasted the entire fare because no one can give you a guarantee that they'll let you into LAX until you're standing in front of the CBP again.

If/when you do plan to visit the US again, I'm pretty sure the DHS approved doctor will write you off as mentally sane and you'll be fine.

Here's the thing, a regular customer service rep's job is to make the customer as happy as possible no matter how upset you get.

A CBP officer's job is to allow you into the country or not. They along with their supervisor have the authority to deny your entry, require whatever documents they see fit or necessary, and/or ban you from the US altogether. So, if you were to get "overly upset" and offend one of them, yes, they can do (almost) whatever they want.

Dealing with immigration officers is one of those times when keeping your cool is of utmost importance because no amount of arguing will generally sway their initial decision, but rather determine the severity of the consequences.

Edited by jaejayC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.