Basbosa

Applying for I-130

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I am new to this website and forum, but I really appreciate all of the support that I see!

I was wondering if I can get some feedback. I am about to start the I-130 process for my Egyptian husband, and I am so worried about making avoidable mistakes.

First, let me give some background info. I am a naturalized American citizen (born in Cairo, Egypt), and I am a Muslim. I speak Arabic, and I first met what would be my future husband when I was visiting my family in Alexandria in 2007. He asked for my hand in 2008, and we recently got married in August 2012 (we did the Kitb kitab on 8/23 and we had our wedding on 8/24). Unfortunately, after a short honeymoon, I had to return to the US, and he is still in Alexandria.

And, now we are in the middle of preparing all of the documents needed for the I-130.

I understand that we need a copy of the marriage certificate to go with the application. Since we are both Muslim Egyptians, we decided to do the regular kitb kitab (like any normal Egyptian couple). My husband got the marriage certificate from the marriage official, unfortunately, after I left for the US. Now, we know that we have to translate the certificate, and my husband did so at a certified translation office in Alexandria (the packet obtained from the office contained a copy of the marriage certificate, certificate of translation, and the translation itself). Is there anything else we need to be able to use this packet? Do we need to show it to the Embassy in Cairo or the Consulate in Alexandria? I guess what I am asking is, do we need to get it authenticated?

Do I need to make a certified copy of my naturalization certificate? Or would a regular copy suffice? Same question goes for my American passport.

I know that each of us need to complete the G325A. On that specific form, it asks for "Applicant's" residence, employment, etc. When they say "Applicant", do they mean mean the person filling out the form? For example, when I am filling the form, of course the "Applicant" is me. But when he fills the form, is the "Applicant" me (i.e. put my information in) or his? Just want to be sure! Also, since my husband lived all his life in Egypt, his G325A will be basically full of Arabic addresses. Do we need to put the addresses in Arabic script, along with the English transliteration? Or is the English enough?

Finally, the evidence of a bonafide marriage. We really do not have any of the documents that they list on the application. I was concerned about this, but a work colleague (Sudanese who went through the process to bring his Sudanese wife) told me to provide pictures. Of course we have plenty of pictures of everything! My husband and I chose some pictures for the application, but how many is enough? We have pictures of our kitb kitab ceremony (separate picture for each witness, dad, and of us signing the contract; a picture of us with his family and one with my parents) and our wedding (the hall provided us with a dated one; us cutting the cake; various pics during the zaffa and the wedding with family members). I have about 20 pictures. Would I need more?

One last thing, when I tell people that I am about to start the I-130 process, they suggest that we do the K-Visa/Fiancé route instead. I know the K-Visa can save us a lot of time, but I am just worried about the possibility of its rejection (especially since now we are married). Can we do them at the same time? I am really worried about turning in too many applications, because I want to avoid any possible confusion that could happen.

Thank you again for all of your help!

BTW I hope I posted this in the right place!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I am new to this website and forum, but I really appreciate all of the support that I see!

I was wondering if I can get some feedback. I am about to start the I-130 process for my Egyptian husband, and I am so worried about making avoidable mistakes.

First, let me give some background info. I am a naturalized American citizen (born in Cairo, Egypt), and I am a Muslim. I speak Arabic, and I first met what would be my future husband when I was visiting my family in Alexandria in 2007. He asked for my hand in 2008, and we recently got married in August 2012 (we did the Kitb kitab on 8/23 and we had our wedding on 8/24). Unfortunately, after a short honeymoon, I had to return to the US, and he is still in Alexandria.

And, now we are in the middle of preparing all of the documents needed for the I-130.

I understand that we need a copy of the marriage certificate to go with the application. Since we are both Muslim Egyptians, we decided to do the regular kitb kitab (like any normal Egyptian couple). My husband got the marriage certificate from the marriage official, unfortunately, after I left for the US. Now, we know that we have to translate the certificate, and my husband did so at a certified translation office in Alexandria (the packet obtained from the office contained a copy of the marriage certificate, certificate of translation, and the translation itself). Is there anything else we need to be able to use this packet? Do we need to show it to the Embassy in Cairo or the Consulate in Alexandria? I guess what I am asking is, do we need to get it authenticated?

photocopies of all of that, above, is all you need, from a photocopier. show seals and stamps, copy back of pages also. unsure about the authentication bits

Do I need to make a certified copy of my naturalization certificate? Or would a regular copy suffice? Same question goes for my American passport.

a regular photocopy suffices

I know that each of us need to complete the G325A. On that specific form, it asks for "Applicant's" residence, employment, etc. When they say "Applicant", do they mean mean the person filling out the form? For example, when I am filling the form, of course the "Applicant" is me. But when he fills the form, is the "Applicant" me (i.e. put my information in) or his? Just want to be sure! Also, since my husband lived all his life in Egypt, his G325A will be basically full of Arabic addresses. Do we need to put the addresses in Arabic script, along with the English transliteration? Or is the English enough?

remember 'voice' here. you fill out YOUR G-325-A the way for YOU, and if you are filling out HIS G-325-A, use his 'voice' as IF you were him . re: addresses - there's a spot for current address in other language, put that there in Arabic. for the rest, prior addresses, use english

Finally, the evidence of a bonafide marriage. We really do not have any of the documents that they list on the application. I was concerned about this, but a work colleague (Sudanese who went through the process to bring his Sudanese wife) told me to provide pictures. Of course we have plenty of pictures of everything! My husband and I chose some pictures for the application, but how many is enough? We have pictures of our kitb kitab ceremony (separate picture for each witness, dad, and of us signing the contract; a picture of us with his family and one with my parents) and our wedding (the hall provided us with a dated one; us cutting the cake; various pics during the zaffa and the wedding with family members). I have about 20 pictures. Would I need more?

photos are great, but are secondary evidence. the marriage certificate, of course, is primary evidence. You should include photocopies of all air ticket stubs, payment receipts for anything you paid for, for the trip, perhaps even a written timeline of major timeticks whilst in Egypt for this marriage trip. Phone logs, phone bills, emails, IM conversations, all can be included, but are secondary evidence.

One last thing, when I tell people that I am about to start the I-130 process, they suggest that we do the K-Visa/Fiancé route instead. I know the K-Visa can save us a lot of time, but I am just worried about the possibility of its rejection (especially since now we are married). Can we do them at the same time? I am really worried about turning in too many applications, because I want to avoid any possible confusion that could happen. married folk cannot pursue a K-1, it's a waste of time, energy and effort. Tell yer buddies they are clueless, mention Uncle Darnell said so..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Welcome to VisaJourney!
Very close -- I'm transferring your topic from the "CR-1 Process" forum to the "CR-1 Case Filing" forum, because you haven't yet filed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You should also submit a couple of sworn statements from family or friends who can speak to your relationship and marriage. I sent one from my mother in law and another from my mom. I used a template in the wiki (look at the top of the page), just searched for sworn statement I believe.

I submitted about 15 pics, some before the wedding, some during, some after, most with family and friends, those that are taken while you aren't really posing just dancing and having a good time. I also included a couple of Facebook pics with tons of comments, ;)

The most important part of course will be the marriage certificate, I also had mine translated (from Spanish).

Good Luck on your Journey, your in the right place.

Please fill in yourtimeline once you submit your paperwork, it will help you and the VJ community with time estimates. Once you put in the times for each milestone it will be able to estimate when you should be getting approved/denied.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback! I really appreciate it, and will definitely keep you posted!

Thanks TBoneTX for moving the post! I really qouldn't have known where to start!

Thanks again everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.