kintu

USCIS should regulate the medical exam costs not the civil surgeons

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks DANDT14 , i have a another question for you if you may know the answer.other than the Vaccination,can i get my blood test for HIV and TB test done at the local state's health clinic ?

Well there here I am! I've got TB test and syphilis, and gonorrhea/clamydia test ALL at my health care provider. I had no tests whatsoever done by my civil surgeon...like I said, I made an appointment for the civil surgeon and the day I made the appointment that was the following week, right on the spot they charged me $300 and gave me a list and told me to come back for the appointment next week with all those test results, as well as if I need any vaccination than a proof of letter that states I've got those taken care of. That is why I wrote earlier that I basically payed $300 "entrance fee". As I had no exam done by the civil surgeon whatsoever. So since my vaccinations were all up to date and clear (I grew up here in the US so I've got all my vaccination from the US) I only had the tests that had to be done. So I did those at my own health care provider and the next week came back with the results. They took it, I never even saw the civil surgeon, and they told me they will call me when I can come back to pick up the sealed envelop. In about another week I've got the call to pick up the envelope, so I went, picked it up, and took it home. That was my "civil surgeon examination". For "only" $300!!! LOL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Well there here I am! I've got TB test and syphilis, and gonorrhea/clamydia test ALL at my health care provider. I had no tests whatsoever done by my civil surgeon...like I said, I made an appointment for the civil surgeon and the day I made the appointment that was the following week, right on the spot they charged me $300 and gave me a list and told me to come back for the appointment next week with all those test results, as well as if I need any vaccination than a proof of letter that states I've got those taken care of. That is why I wrote earlier that I basically payed $300 "entrance fee". As I had no exam done by the civil surgeon whatsoever. So since my vaccinations were all up to date and clear (I grew up here in the US so I've got all my vaccination from the US) I only had the tests that had to be done. So I did those at my own health care provider and the next week came back with the results. They took it, I never even saw the civil surgeon, and they told me they will call me when I can come back to pick up the sealed envelop. In about another week I've got the call to pick up the envelope, so I went, picked it up, and took it home. That was my "civil surgeon examination". For "only" $300!!! LOL

that was a rip off dude , sorry

that was a rip off dude , sorry

That was a complete rip off, but sounds to me as I am reading some of you guys post that maybe I was actually lucky to "get away with only $300" as some pay more as the CS does their blood test. I guess in that sense, I was lucky as my primary care provider did the TB test and all the other blood/urine tests hence I did not pay a penny for those. But it does makes me angry how disgusting the system is...as the title says, USCIS should be more on the "top of things"...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Africa
Timeline

We received a very helpful checklist from our civil surgeon before the appointment and I thought I would share it (it is a lot easier to read then the USCIS link, IMO). My husband had his TB skin test, RPR (syphilis), and missing vaccination (tetanus) done at our local health department for around ~$60 total. The only thing the civil surgeon did was look at the results and give him a physical exam for $125. He also did not have a varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, because he contracted chickenpox when he was a child. We had his father (who is a physician) fax us a statement saying the year he was diagnosed and the civil surgeon accepted it without a problem. To the OP, my husband is 33 and the vaccines he was required to have were MMR, Td/Tdap, and chickenpox (but since he was infected as a child, that wasn’t a problem.) I have included the disease name instead of just the abbreviations to avoid confusion. Hope this helps someone out there :D

Document Checklist - Bring the following to your appointment:

Unexpired passport, visa, or government issued photo identification

Lab Test Results *all results must be within past 6 months:

RPR (syphilis) test results – ALL applicants 15 years or older

TB test – ALL applicants 2 years or older

Either TST (skin test) or Interferon (blood test)

*If TB test is 5mm or greater, or Interferon is positive you must also have a chest X-ray (you MUST bring a copy of your positive skin test or positive blood test AND a copy of the X-ray report)

Vaccinations:

Td/Tdap (Tetanus+diphtheria/Tetanus+diphtheria+pertussis)- ALL applicants 7 years or older

*3 doses total (dose 1 and 2 given 4 weeks apart. Dose 3 given 6-12 months later. At least 1 dose out of 3 should be Tdap)

*MUST have a booster every 10 years

MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)– ALL applicants over 12 months and under 65 years (2 doses given 4 weeks apart)

Varicella (Chickenpox) – ALL applicants over 12 months (2 doses given 4 weeks apart if over 13 years; 2 doses given 3 months apart if under 13 years)

*If you have evidence that you had chicken pox you don’t need the varicella vaccine

Influenza- ALL applicants 6 months and older, only required DURING October – March each year

Pneumococcal – ALL applicants 65 years and older

IPV (polio) – ALL applicants over 2 months and through 18 years old (3 or 4 doses)

Hepatitis B – ALL applicants 18 years old and younger (3 doses total)

Hepatitis A – ALL applicants 12 months through 6 years (2 doses, 6-18 months apart)

Meningoccal – (must be MCV4) ALL applicants 11 years through 18 years old (2 doses)

*dose 1 at age 11-12, booster at age 16 or dose 1 at age 13-15, booster at age 16-18

DTP/DTaP(pertussis component of this vaccine is acellular) – ALL applicants 2 months through 18 years old (4 doses before age 6, 1 dose at age 11-12)

Hib (Haemophilus influenza)- ALL applicants 2 months through 4 years of age

Rotovirus – ALL applicants 2 months through 8 months (must complete by 8 months)

*If you are pregnant you DO need TB testing and if positive a chest X-ray IS required; You DO need Td vaccination; you DO NOT need MMR, Varicella

Concurrent filing of I-130/I-485:

06/28/2008 - Met my future husband in South Africa - love at first sight! Lots of visits in between -

04/29/2011 - Married in Mississippi

06/12/2011 - Moved to South Africa to (finally) live with my husband - issued SA conditional residence permit

05/23/2012 - Came home to visit family (on B-2) - was offered a dream job in July (2 weeks before we were to go home) and we couldn't turn it down! It took us ~1 month to get everything we needed here and finish paperwork.

08/20/2012 - Day 0 - I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 package mailed to Chicago via FedEx

08/28/2012 - Day 7 - E-mail and text message notification received for 4 forms

08/31/2012 - Day 10 - Received hard copies of NOA1 (x4)

09/02/2012 - Day 12 - Received biometrics appointment notice; scheduled for 09/14/2012

09/13/2012 - Day 23 - Received hard copy of RFE (dated 09/07/2012) for unabridged birth certificate

09/14/2012 - Day 24 - Biometrics appointment in New Orleans

10/17/2012 - Day 57 - Interview notice mailed (received hard copy the 19th) for November 19th. We just moved to California that week so interview is being rescheduled.

10/20/2012 - Day 60 - Online status shows EAD card production

12/14/2012 - Day 101- Interview in Fresno, CA; approved

12/28/2012 - Day 115- Green card arrived in the mail!!!

We received a very helpful checklist from our civil surgeon before the appointment and I thought I would share it (it is a lot easier to read then the USCIS link, IMO). My husband had his TB skin test, RPR (syphilis), and missing vaccination (tetanus) done at our local health department for around ~$60 total. The only thing the civil surgeon did was look at the results and give him a physical exam for $125. He also did not have a varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, because he contracted chickenpox when he was a child. We had his father (who is a physician) fax us a statement saying the year he was diagnosed and the civil surgeon accepted it without a problem. To the OP, my husband is 33 and the vaccines he was required to have were MMR, Td/Tdap, and chickenpox (but since he was infected as a child, that wasn’t a problem.) I have included the disease name instead of just the abbreviations to avoid confusion. Hope this helps someone out there :D

*If TB test is 5mm or greater, or Interferon is positive you must also have a chest X-ray (you MUST bring a copy of your positive skin test or positive blood test AND a copy of the X-ray report)

Vaccinations:

Td/Tdap (Tetanus+diphtheria/Tetanus+diphtheria+pertussis)- ALL applicants 7 years or older

*3 doses total (dose 1 and 2 given 4 weeks apart. Dose 3 given 6-12 months later. At least 1 dose out of 3 should be Tdap)

MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)– ALL applicants over 12 months and under 65 years (2 doses given 4 weeks apart)

Varicella (Chickenpox) – ALL applicants over 12 months (2 doses given 4 weeks apart if over 13 years; 2 doses given 3 months apart if under 13 years)

*If you have evidence that you had chicken pox you don’t need the varicella vaccine

Influenza- ALL applicants 6 months and older, only required DURING October – March each year

IPV (polio) – ALL applicants over 2 months and through 18 years old (3 or 4 doses)

Hepatitis A – ALL applicants 12 months through 6 years (2 doses, 6-18 months apart)

Meningoccal – (must be MCV4) ALL applicants 11 years through 18 years old (2 doses)

*dose 1 at age 11-12, booster at age 16 or dose 1 at age 13-15, booster at age 16-18

DTP/DTaP(pertussis component of this vaccine is acellular) – ALL applicants 2 months through 18 years old (4 doses before age 6, 1 dose at age 11-12)

Rotovirus – ALL applicants 2 months through 8 months (must complete by 8 months)

*If you are pregnant you DO need TB testing and if positive a chest X-ray IS required; You DO need Td vaccination; you DO NOT need MMR, Varicella

My CS did the same thing as yours, but with shortening my wallet by $300....not $175. But then if I add up your vaccination/test costs it almost adds up to my $300 since those were free for me. So maybe I should not complain....so I'll stop complaining...I just felt it odd...

thanks linda , i appreciate your help and what about the TB skin test and blood test ? can we undergo these tests at a primary doctor or they have to be done by the CS ?

I did mine at the CS. You should call around and see if any CS will let you do that and how much they charge you for only a body examination.

jF5Jm7.png

AOS from F1:
Day0 -- 2012.05.08 Sent packet through USPS
Day1 -- 2012.05.09 Packet delivered at 1:29pm
Day7 -- 2012.05.15 Emails/texts acceptance confirmation at 5:16pm
Day8 -- 2012.05.16 Checks been cashed in the morning
Day11--2012.05.19 I-797C 4 hard copies received.
Day14--2012.05.22 Biometrics Appointment received. Scheduled for June 5th.
Day15--2012.05.23 Biometrics Completed at 1:30pm (2 weeks earlier than the scheduled date)
Day27--2012.06.04 Card production ordered for EAD&AP
Day28--2012.06.05 Second card production ordered email received for EAD.(why?)
Day30--2012.06.07 EAD&AP Combo Card mailed
Day32--2012.06.09 EAD&AP Combo Card received
Day98--2012.08.14 Interview scheduled for Sep.18th @12:30pm(thank god I don't have school that day)
Day100-2012.08.16 Interview notice hard copy received
Day133-2012.09.18 Interview!! I-485 updated to Card Production around 3:30pm
Day134-2012.09.19 Online Update: I-130 approved; I-485 New permanent Resident Status Registered.
Day136-2012.09.21 Second Card production Email.
Day141-2012.09.26 GreenCard received. (Done for 2 years!)

ROC:

Day0 -- 2014.07.07 Sent package to CSC by USPS

Day1 -- 2014.07.08 Package delivered

Day3 -- 2014.07.10 Check has been cashed

Day4 -- 2014.07.11 I-797 Hard Copy Received

Day12--2014.07.19 Biometrics Appointment received. Scheduled for Aug 5th.

Day23--2014.07.30 Biometrics Completed @1pm (6 days early)

Day95--2014.10.10 Card Production

Timeline

Vaccinations:

THANK YOU SO MUCH DANI&JO , that was so nice of you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Wow I am so glad I live in Miami where there are plenty of CS around, and the price they charge wasn't nowhere near that expensive. I had all my vaccines already so all he had to do was transfer the records and to the TB test...in total I was charged $50. I guess I got REALLY lucky.

Timeline

Wow I am so glad I live in Miami where there are plenty of CS around, and the price they charge wasn't nowhere near that expensive. I had all my vaccines already so all he had to do was transfer the records and to the TB test...in total I was charged $50. I guess I got REALLY lucky.

where do you get your vaccines and blood test done ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, welcome to VJ.

When I went for my medical my civil surgeon told me I could have my vaccinations done anywhere but I then had to bring a vaccination record to her so she could mark that I had the age appropriate ones done on the I-193. Your civil surgeon will be able to tell you which you need so if you choose you can have them done elsewhere. My civil surgeon was not sure whether the TB and Syphilis tests HAD to be done by her so she did them, looking back I think you can have them done anywhere.

I chose to have everything done by my civil surgeon. I am in the same age bracket as you , we do not need too many vaccines.

My medical cost $200 + $90 in labs. My medical was done within 3 days of making the appointment and I rang around lots of places to find the best deal, granted I had the luxury of a lot to choose from in Minnesota. One CS was booked for 1 month and the initial fee was $400.

CS are a business and therefore there to make money so really they can charge whatever they want, just like doctors, and business people in any field. It is unfortunate but true :(

1) if its ok if i send USCIS my medical report after we have petitioned for the AOS ?

Generally it should be sent with the AOS package, you may receive a RFE.

2) what exact immunization shots do i require(for a Male/28 with no past medical record) ?

You CS will be able to give you a list of the ones that are age appropriate so you can choose to use them or go somewhere else for the vacs.

3) if anyone have rather went to the local health dept to get the shots?is it a good idea ? what they charge (i have no insurance).

As I stated above I used my CS. Are you even eligible to get shots from the Health Department? I have no experience with the health department. I do however know that the medical is charged OUT OF POCKET anyway and even if you had insurance you could not use it.

4) your comments about these so called civil surgeons working as a gang ?

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

Hello, welcome to VJ.

When I went for my medical my civil surgeon told me I could have my vaccinations done anywhere but I then had to bring a vaccination record to her so she could mark that I had the age appropriate ones done on the I-193. Your civil surgeon will be able to tell you which you need so if you choose you can have them done elsewhere. My civil surgeon was not sure whether the TB and Syphilis tests HAD to be done by her so she did them, looking back I think you can have them done anywhere.

I chose to have everything done by my civil surgeon. I am in the same age bracket as you , we do not need too many vaccines.

My medical cost $200 + $90 in labs. My medical was done within 3 days of making the appointment and I rang around lots of places to find the best deal, granted I had the luxury of a lot to choose from in Minnesota. One CS was booked for 1 month and the initial fee was $400.

CS are a business and therefore there to make money so really they can charge whatever they want, just like doctors, and business people in any field. It is unfortunate but true :(

1) if its ok if i send USCIS my medical report after we have petitioned for the AOS ?

Generally it should be sent with the AOS package, you may receive a RFE.

2) what exact immunization shots do i require(for a Male/28 with no past medical record) ?

You CS will be able to give you a list of the ones that are age appropriate so you can choose to use them or go somewhere else for the vacs.

3) if anyone have rather went to the local health dept to get the shots?is it a good idea ? what they charge (i have no insurance).

As I stated above I used my CS. Are you even eligible to get shots from the Health Department? I have no experience with the health department. I do however know that the medical is charged OUT OF POCKET anyway and even if you had insurance you could not use it.

4) your comments about these so called civil surgeons working as a gang ?

Thanks for your help xanax, i do not have a insurance like most of other immigrants (i am only two months old here)but i think local clinic would entertain you for a much lesser price. i will be doing this in the next few days and would share my experience here on VJ.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You have the whole 'unfair trade practice' thing exactly backwards. It would be illegal, collusion they call it, if the CS's all got together and decided how much to charge. This being a capitalistic economy, the 'free market' is supposed to help set the price. If you can 'buy' this service for less it is assumed you will go to the cheapest provider. As to how far you have to travel, consider the plight of some immigrants that must have their exams done before getting their first visa. In Russia the only clinics that do the exam are in Moscow! Some people have to travel several days by train to get this exam done!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for your help xanax, i do not have a insurance like most of other immigrants (i am only two months old here)but i think local clinic would entertain you for a much lesser price. i will be doing this in the next few days and would share my experience here on VJ.

What I meant about insurance was... even of you had it, you could not use it for the civil surgeon. You HAVE to pay out of pocket for it.

Yea, other places may perform vaccines for less, definitely look around- for myself though it was just easier to get it all done in 1 day by the CS.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.