rocks

Romney birth certificate remark

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Romney birth certificate remark sets off firestorm

AP201111306074_620x350.jpg

(CBS News) COMMERCE, Mich. - Despite his previous reticence to go anywhere near controversy over President Obama's birthplace, Mitt Romney dove in headfirst on Friday with a joke that touched off the latest round of partisan fireworks between the two campaigns.

Speaking to a crowd of several thousand at an orchard farm and cider mill in his home state of Michigan, Romney raised the subject while reminiscing about growing up here with his wife, Ann.

"I love being home in this place where Ann and I were raised, where both of us were born. Ann was born in Henry Ford Hospital. I was born in Harper Hospital," Romney said. "No one's ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised."

In an attempt to tamp down speculation that the presumptive Republican nominee was himself raising doubts about the president's birthplace, Romney aide Kevin Madden sent an email to reporters that said Romney was "only referencing that Michigan, where he is campaigning today, is the state where he himself was born and raised."

"The governor has always said, and has repeatedly said, he believes the president was born here in the United States." Madden wrote.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7419170n

(Watch: Romney: No one questions my birth certificate.)

But the remarks drew a quick response from the Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt, who emailed reporters the minute Romney finished speaking

"Throughout this campaign, Governor Romney has embraced the most strident voices in his party instead of standing up to them," wrote LaBolt. "It's one thing to give the stage in Tampa to Donald Trump, [Arizona] Sheriff [Joe] Arpaio, and [Kansas Secretary of State] Kris Kobach. But Governor Romney's decision to directly enlist himself in the birther movement should give pause to any rational voter across America."

The outrage from Democrats, in turn, led Republican National Committee spokesman Sean Spicer to point an accusatory finger at Democrats and accuse them of hypocrisy.

"I found it somewhat laughable that these guys who have taken gutter politics to a new low, if you can do that, are suddenly feigning outrage about this kind of comment," Spicer said on MSNBC.

Trump's embrace of Romney - and, until today, Romney's decision to stay far away from the birth certificate issue - has forced his campaign into awkward situations in the past. The business mogul and reality TV star revived charges that the president was born in Kenya last May, just as he was set to appear at a fundraiser with Romney in Las Vegas.

Madden, who at the time was an advisor for the campaign, told MSNBC that Romney disagreed with Trump about the birth certificate but would continue to appear with the candidate.

Romney birth certificate remark sets off firestorm

Timeline

:lol: And then his side blames the other side for "mud slinging" or negative campaigning. Ok, Mittens.

:rofl:

I know right? I want to see his birth certificate! His dad was born in Mexico, how do we know he isn't a Mexican? :jest:

He didn't say anything that wasn't true.

It's true that no-one questioned his birth place.

No one said he lied. Comments can be stupid without them being lies.

Why did he even say it?

He says he 100% believes Obama's birth certificate, so why mention that nobody's ever asked him for his?

Timeline

Why did he even say it?

He says he 100% believes Obama's birth certificate, so why mention that nobody's ever asked him for his?

To emphasize that he was born in Real America, not in some made-up state like Hawaii.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

To emphasize that he was born in Real America, not in some made-up state like Hawaii.

Sure, go with that. :lol:

Mittens claims he's not a birther, but it seems this comment was made specifically to pander to them.

Timeline

Oh and didn't you hear about this?

George Lopez went on an all-out rant against Republican GOP candidate Mitt Romney and Arizona’s most famous sheriff, Joe Arpaio, for their stances on immigration and the controversial SB 1070 law, NewsBusters.org reported.

The stand-up comedian showered the crowd with F-Bombs that had them yelling, booing, and laughing throughout Lopez’s HBO special Saturday night.

“Mitt Romney wants the Latino vote. He ain't going to get it. He ain't going to get it. And you know why? Because Mitt Romney is a [expletive] Latino and he won't admit it,” Lopez said outraged. “His father was born in Chihuahua, Mexico. Mitt Romney is a Chicano.”

Lopez paced around the stage and then lashed out at Romney, once more calling him in Spanish the expletive used for a male prostitute.

“If you want our vote [expletive], come out of the closet. Get a hair net and lean back and say ole..,” he teased.

GLO then went on to explain Romney’s roots and that his “grandfather went to Mexico to create a Mormon colony” which did not sit well with Mexicans because “Mormons want six wives to get 12 kids.”

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/entertainment/2012/07/16/george-lopezs-curses-mitt-romney-joe-arpaio/#ixzz24UYuLZx5

I don't like George Lopez much, but this was really funny. Plus he upset Joe Arpaio. Go George!

Edited by rocks

Filed: Timeline

Why did he even say it?

my guess is: to watch the obama minions freak out & make fools of themselves. then laugh @ them in his ultra rich 1% evil laugh.

7yqZWFL.jpg

my guess is: to watch the obama minions freak out & make fools of themselves. then laugh @ them in his ultra rich 1% evil laugh.

Yes, it's totally the Obama campaign and supports that look foolish here. Absolutely.

:wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm no birther, but I still can't get over the fact it took so long for Obama to come up with a birth certificate. When we started our visa journey I had to get a new copy of my birth certificate and all it took was a few minutes on the internet and about $20. A week later I had it.

Something stinks in Hawaii.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.