Nicola & Matt

K1 Expiry Date

14 posts in this topic

On 26th March i was accepted at the embassy and was given a K1 visa which expires after 6 months. The expiry date will be 26th September 2012. My flight is booked for 18th September but i have just had a horrible thought that when they say that you have to get married and file for adjustment of status it has to be done before the 6 months are up. Is this the case or do you have a further 90 days from the point you enter the USA? If so do i have until the 18th December to get married and file for AOS?

Any help greatly appreciated

Nic

Edited by Nicola & Matt

90 days after POE as long as youre I-94 will be valid.

Thanks, Is this form similar to the ESTA where you have to apply beforehand or is this something that we are given on the plane to complete before we land?

Thank you so much for your help

Thanks, Is this form similar to the ESTA where you have to apply beforehand or is this something that we are given on the plane to complete before we land?

Thank you so much for your help

You will more than likely fill it out on your flight. When you approach the Customs Officer with it, they will give it the approval needed. The 90 days begins the day you arrive and your I-94 is approved. The K-1 is only valid for 6 months for that one time entry. After you arrive at the POE, the K-1 is null, and you will carry the I-94.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

yup, your given 90 days at POE to settle all that. most important thing is getting married within the 90 days. then you are free to file AOS when ever you like

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

In addition to what the others have explained; whenever you enter the US and the officer writes down the date on the famous I-94, just pay attention to that date.. While we are supposed to get 90 exact days after setting foot on US soil, some officers seem to have given out shorter periods of time (by mistake or by ignorance).. the important thing is that you check that date and not just go by just calculating the 90 days by yourself.

This doesn't seem to happen quite often, but it does. Some people has been given (again by mistake or ignorance) less than 90 days but never paid attention to the I-94 and found themselves having some unexpected hiccups later on.

I was given 89 days.. not big deal, but not 90 days either.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

yup, your given 90 days at POE to settle all that. most important thing is getting married within the 90 days. then you are free to file AOS when ever you like

How accurate is this information? I was under the assumption that the AOS had to be filed ASAP after the marriage... preferably before the 90 days was up so as not to be considered illegaly in USA after the K-1 Visa or I-94 had run out.

I maybe way off so please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Cat n Adam

The Journey of Cat n Adam

Sep 25, 2011: Met online

Sep 27, 2011: Met in person and started dating (Adam was stationed in the UK)

26 Mar, 2012: ENGAGED!!!!

Jun 7, 2012: Adam stationed back to the USA

Jun 21, 2012: Cat and the boys visit Adam in the states

Aug 27, 2012: Cat and the boys fly back to the UK to start the K-1 Process

Timeline

How accurate is this information? I was under the assumption that the AOS had to be filed ASAP after the marriage... preferably before the 90 days was up so as not to be considered illegal.

I maybe way off so please correct me if I am wrong.

There is no deadline to file AOS, the sooner the better, but no deadline. The 90 days apply only to the marriage. As long as you marry within the 90 days (check the date the CBP officer writes on the I-94) you will be complying with the requirements of the visa.

Timeline

There is no deadline to file AOS, the sooner the better, but no deadline. The 90 days apply only to the marriage. As long as you marry within the 90 days (check the date the CBP officer writes on the I-94) you will be complying with the requirements of the visa.

Thanks for that information, that eases our worries some. We wanted at least 3-6 months to get the AOS funds together since it will be for my two boys and myself.

Timeline

Thanks for that information, that eases our worries some. We wanted at least 3-6 months to get the AOS funds together since it will be for my two boys and myself.

You are most welcome. Your situation is rather common and understandable. Definitely do AOS as soon as possible, but don't over stress about it, as you do not have a deadline. You will be in a "limbo" sort of status, so avoid getting into trouble and avoid check points near the borders (apparently those officers don't care much).

You can also visit the AOS from family visas forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/ if you have any more doubts/questions.

Timeline

You are most welcome. Your situation is rather common and understandable. Definitely do AOS as soon as possible, but don't over stress about it, as you do not have a deadline. You will be in a "limbo" sort of status, so avoid getting into trouble and avoid check points near the borders (apparently those officers don't care much).

You can also visit the AOS from family visas forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/ if you have any more doubts/questions.

As he is Military I assume after our marriage we will be covered by his medical, does anyone know if this is false? I know I wont be able to get a job, green card or SSN until we do the AOS.

Medical/dental coverage is a big thing, when I visited this past August I had to have emergency dental work done and that set us back $600+ dollars.

Timeline

As he is Military I assume after our marriage we will be covered by his medical, does anyone know if this is false? I know I wont be able to get a job, green card or SSN until we do the AOS.

Medical/dental coverage is a big thing, when I visited this past August I had to have emergency dental work done and that set us back $600+ dollars.

You CAN get a SS# before AOS and the health insurance will depend on his plan, but you should be able to get under his plan after marriage. Visit the Military Discussion Forum http://www.visajourn...ted-discussion/ for specific questions related to that. The folks there, will be able to assist you with specific information.

This is the guide to get your SS# http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Edited by Celeste & C

Timeline

You CAN get a SS# before AOS and the health insurance will depend on his plan, but you should be able to get under his plan after marriage. Visit the Military Discussion Forum http://www.visajourn...ted-discussion/ for specific questions related to that. The folks there, will be able to assist you with specific information.

This is the guide to get your SS# http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Thanks for the Links will look on both of them!

I already got some type of work/tax number and filled out a form to be added to his Bank account. But the SSN is the next step.

Thanks again. Good look to the OP!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.