karlo

Filing a k1 after 3 months

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Can u forward me the link where the US embassy states that a couple should know eachother at least one year before consideration of marriage, G.gate? Well, I went through Fraud Indicators and there was nothing about the one year period!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Can u forward me the link where the US embassy states that a couple should know eachother at least one year before consideration of marriage, G.gate? Well, I went through Fraud Indicators and there was nothing about the one year period!

I went back to look at the site, and you are right that it doesn't say that anymore, but I know it used to say it. Hmmm. Maybe they re-considered that wording, who knows. Here is the site: My link

There were several cases in the past couple of years on Visa Journey where it appeared that in most of the denials, one common factor was that they had gotten engaged quickly, one even like seven months from meeting. Certainly, when you meet 'the one' you may know it right away. Certainly, we felt a strong connection when we first started talking, which is obviously why we pursued our relationship.

In my opinion, Moroccans come across very eager and passionate from the start, and this is pretty unlike most Americans. Thus, American relationships tend to proceed much more slowly and couples know each other a few years before any decisions about engagement or marriage. The culture is just very different and people are allowed to date here, so they take their time. So, the consulate might look at it as though the American is being 'swooped off their feet' and the result being they have lost all sense of reason and are no longer following the norms of our society, but are being manipulated.

One thing the consulate won't really do is give you tips on how to proceed in proving your relationship, so I would say just make sure you have several trips with considerable amount of time spent on each trip, and keep all proofs, like boarding passes, rental car receipts, restaurant receipts and whatever you spend money on in Morocco. Take photos in the different places you go. Get photos with your family if possible, and just spend time talking with your fiance to really know her ins and outs. Keep your phone/chat records.

One thing you have going for you is you are about the same age and you are a bit more mature being in your 30s.

You don't need to be discouraged. Just do what you can to make your case solid. Eventually you will get through, I don't doubt it. I knew my spouse three years before I petitioned him. We had other red flags besides yours. He went to the interview with the state of mind that whatever happens happens and he knew once they started asking him questions he had already been approved. So, red flags can be overcome - just be yourself and tell the truth!

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Timeline

Knowing each other for a year isn't written in stone but Morocco is a high fraud country as tons of others have said and will continue to say until the magical day when fraud stops. Though you may be genuine and truthful, there are thousands before you that haven't been. So they look at the signs and they apply them to the case most of the time whether it is personally applicable to you or not. Knowing each other for a short time before getting engaged/married is one of the big red flags because it's been the tactic of fraudulent couples in the past.

We all desperately want to be with our fiances but unfortunately the government doesn't often sympathize with these needs, they want the facts and the evidences before they allow anybody into the U.S. Think of it like this, if they disregarded the time people have known each other there would be the most extreme fraud issue known to man {and 1st world countries} They want you to take the time to see if this is really somebody you want to marry and can stay married to. In my time here, I've seen so many posts of marriages gone bad on the forums and that's exactly what we are trying avoid and it's another advantage to taking your time {especially if you have other substantial red flags}. Also, when it's only been a couple months sometimes you only know the preferable sides of a person and you need a bit more time to see their flaws so that you can either embrace and accept them or realize it's unbearable and then you move on.

I haven't filed yet and it's been about a year of this. My fiance and I are eager to start our lives together and get past this "visit, leave, skype" type of life but we know that what lies ahead is difficult and needs time to do it right and give us the best possible chances at success. Even genuine couples like us get denied but keep your head up and do your best and insha'Allah you'll be successful!

All true, and good advice in bold!

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Timeline

I appreciate your pieces of advice which are really helpful to a new rider of this journey. Being raised in a conservative family doesn't allow the person to date, this is the reason why most Moroccan men tend to marry which might look prompt and out of the ordinary in the eyes of the officials. Basically, it is a cultural difference misunderstanding which apparently affects the whole process. Consequently, this impact lots of couples emotionally. There is not a huge difference of age like I mentioned earlier but they might consider it a red flag, it is nothing but 5 years difference, but who knows!!

Filed: Timeline

I appreciate your pieces of advice which are really helpful to a new rider of this journey. Being raised in a conservative family doesn't allow the person to date, this is the reason why most Moroccan men tend to marry which might look prompt and out of the ordinary in the eyes of the officials. Basically, it is a cultural difference misunderstanding which apparently affects the whole process. Consequently, this impact lots of couples emotionally. There is not a huge difference of age like I mentioned earlier but they might consider it a red flag, it is nothing but 5 years difference, but who knows!!

My fiance's family is somewhat conservative too! I'm Muslim as well but there are still cultural things that I had to get acquainted with. Though the typical Moroccan/Muslim family has religious and cultural standards, most families have nothing against getting to know somebody for a courtship especially if you explain to them the situation and include them in some of your outings/etc. The first time I visited I stayed in a villa with my fiance, mom, and his mom. It was time for us to get to know each other outside of skype sessions and to get comfortable. We went to visit his other family for dinner and lunches and I got to know them away from skype as well.

I think it's so essential for us as Muslims to not hide our companions/fiances/etc, if you do things in a halal manner {whether its for your family or for Allah} while still getting to know your fiance in the meantime, it's fine and dandy! Once your family knows your fiance, they won't really have much to say in terms of haram/halal. And if they do, I can assure that they'll have much less critisisms when they meet a face face&personality {which is your fiance!} instead of just knowing about "some American woman" and therefore assuming many things {and even assuming your intentions towards her}.

I'm here on my second visit spending Ramadan with my fiance and his family in his house and since his mom is here nobody has said much about it. We even went to the police and explained the situation that I'm staying here so that there is no legal dispute either. The people around you that aren't your family are so irrelevant to you and your relationship. Don't let judgemental individuals disrupt the progression and flow of your relationship! But also keep in mind the norms of both cultures and try to find a happy balance :)

Some of what I said may not apply to your situation but I don't want you to feel like cultural norms affect everything because there are ways to handle and succeed in a long distance relationship in an acceptable manner to your family and society {though maybe not conventional due to distance} Good luck anyways!!!

Edited by Margaret n Ahmed

Timeline

My fiance's family is somewhat conservative too! I'm Muslim as well but there are still cultural things that I had to get acquainted with. Though the typical Moroccan/Muslim family has religious and cultural standards, most families have nothing against getting to know somebody for a courtship especially if you explain to them the situation and include them in some of your outings/etc. The first time I visited I stayed in a villa with my fiance, mom, and his mom. It was time for us to get to know each other outside of skype sessions and to get comfortable. We went to visit his other family for dinner and lunches and I got to know them away from skype as well.

I think it's so essential for us as Muslims to not hide our companions/fiances/etc, if you do things in a halal manner {whether its for your family or for Allah} while still getting to know your fiance in the meantime, it's fine and dandy! Once your family knows your fiance, they won't really have much to say in terms of haram/halal. And if they do, I can assure that they'll have much less critisisms when they meet a face face&personality {which is your fiance!} instead of just knowing about "some American woman" and therefore assuming many things {and even assuming your intentions towards her}.

I'm here on my second visit spending Ramadan with my fiance and his family in his house and since his mom is here nobody has said much about it. We even went to the police and explained the situation that I'm staying here so that there is no legal dispute either. The people around you that aren't your family are so irrelevant to you and your relationship. Don't let judgemental individuals disrupt the progression and flow of your relationship! But also keep in mind the norms of both cultures and try to find a happy balance :)

Some of what I said may not apply to your situation but I don't want you to feel like cultural norms affect everything because there are ways to handle and succeed in a long distance relationship in an acceptable manner to your family and society {though maybe not conventional due to distance} Good luck anyways!!!

It is a quite good experience and merging of both cultures which is never considered a barrier for me. My family met my fiancee and they witnessed how well we got along in person to such an extent they thought that we knew each other forever. I admit that my family and my fiancee interacted in such a beautiful way. There is no big deal when it comes to cultural differences ,maybe in the eyes of the officials like I mentioned, but pure, genuine love knows no bounadries and when you meet your signifant one, maybe in a short period of time, you know right away they are the one. I hope and I pray that everyone will make it through inshAllah.

Edited by karlo

Timeline

My husband is also from a very traditional, conservative family and his father did not approve our relationship, and therefore I wasn't able to even meet his family.

It is one thing to marry someone of your own culture, which may often be someone your family either knows or someone who is in your family, and marrying someone who is part of a completely different culture. Until you are immersed in that other culture, it is hard to imagine what difference it makes.

Once you are together married, these differences truly reveal themselves. I think it is too bad that many Moroccans can't get a tourist visa, so they can see what it is really like here and spend time with their fiance in the surroundings they will eventually be living in. It can become quite stressful once you arrive and realize that things aren't anything what you imagined, even when people may have already told you how it is here. These things can cause a lot of stress on your new relationship and probably causes some of these relationships to break. I think that the time you wait to see if you get your visa is a good testing time to see if you can each handle the stress.

By the way, our age difference is much greater than yours, but we got through.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014

Timeline

Hello everyone, My fiancee and I met in person over the last few weeks and we spent almost four weeks together. During this period we decided to get engaged and file for a K1 afterwards. Actually, We knew eachother for nothing but 3 months in totality, then filed the K1, yet we sent proof and evidence of our relationship along with the package. Is there any serious issue here? I would appreciate your comments, help and guidance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As long as you have the proof and your relationship is genuine and there are no extenuating circumstances you should be o.k. By the time your application is processed several months will have passed, so make sure you document your relationship such as phone, email, skype etc logs.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

As long as you have the proof and your relationship is genuine and there are no extenuating circumstances you should be o.k. By the time your application is processed several months will have passed, so make sure you document your relationship such as phone, email, skype etc logs.

I agree, hopefully you can visit again, take pictures with her family and yours as well. If it is love then you should have no problem proving it.

Best Wishes.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics have been merged.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just be prepared to explain this in your interview.. There are Moroccans in the Consulte however you may not get one of them and they play "DUH" and want to see if you will be bringing this up. Getting both families involved in the process will help you.... letters, cards, online conversations,on screen photos,,,, etc..

Wish you both luck and prayers...

WITH ALLAH ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!! ALHUMDILALLAH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.