Pw3t

Translation of evidences such as bills, tax returns

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello,

Me and my husband are preparing our i-130 package and we have a lot of evidences of a bona fide marriage since we live together in France since a year.

We have joint french tax returns, utility bills, banks accounts and many more. We are wondering if we really have to translate all these documents into english. It's going to cost us an arm and a leg if we have to.

Are both our names and common address on the top right of each document is sufficient for the USCIS without translation ?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Have a good day :D

Edited by Pw3t

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I understand that the "professional" translators can charge a very high price. I did some research on what is involved to be a document translator. There are organizations that "certify" translators but for the most part it looked like a big scam. Just pay the membership fee and like magic you get "certified".

For the most part a translation becomes a certified translation when the person who does the translation signs an addition document stating that he certifies it as accurate. He should also have all pages notarized.

You could have almost anybody translate it even your self as long as they will sing the paper and "certify it".

See the info below I found on a translation web site.

http://www.dyerlabs.com/index.html

Certified Translations:

In general, a certified translation (in the US) is one to which the translator has added a statement that the translation is true, accurate, and correct "to the best of my knowledge and ability". The statement may be made under oath, or "under penalty of perjury", and may be notarized to confirm the identity of the person signing the statement.

My preferred form of certification is the following "Translator’s Declaration":

Translator’s Declaration

<P align=center>

I, Denzel L. Dyer, declare under penalty of perjury that I understand the German language and the English language; that I hold accreditation from the American Translators Association for translation from German to English; and that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the statements in the English language in the attached translation of _____________, consisting of _____ pages which I have initialed ______, have the same meanings as the statements in the German language in the original document, a copy of which I have examined.

Note that this declaration must be attached to the translation, with individual pages of the translation initialed. That requires delivery of the actual paper. As of early 2008, no other means of certification seems equivalent though, with the agreement of all parties, electronic transfer of a PGP-encrypted file might be acceptable.

This certification/declaration seems to have very limited value other than as a legal formality. Any translator will produce a translation which is correct to the best of his or her knowledge and belief. It would be extremely unusual for any translator to certify to any higher (or lower) standard. Notarization indicates that the person signing the certification has provided the notary with identification, but says nothing at all about the quality of the translation.

Certification and notarization will involve an extra charge to cover time and trouble of notarization, the notary’s fee, and shipment of the certified paper copy.

======================================

======================================

This is the certification page I came up with.

Certification by Translator

RICHELLE LASACA- DASOC

Bood, Ubay, Bohol

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

I, Richelle Lasaca – Dasos, certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and Philipine languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Translator’s Declaration

I, Richelle Lasaca – Dasos, declare under penalty of perjury that I understand the Philippine language and the English language; and that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the statements in the English language in the attached translation of _____________, consisting of _____ pages which I have initialed ______, have the same meanings as the statements in the Philippine language in the original document, a copy of which I have examined.

I hereby certify that all the above information is true and correct to the best of my knowledge & belief.

RICHELLE LASACA-DASOC

Applicants Signature Over Printed Name

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I liked to provide two forms of the translation. One is a text only showing the two languages and the other is a scanned image of the original document grayed out with the translated text over the

Edited by Brian121957

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I did all the translations myself for our I-130 and had no problems (we were approved yesterday!!) ... tons of other people did the same. If you are not bilingual, maybe you have a friend who would charge you less??

We are wondering if we really have to translate all these documents into english.

I asked this question too, and supposedly (Ryan H, a very experienced VJer here) says that no...only actual documents (marriage cert, etc) need to be translated. Phone bills and other evidence, no. In my paranoidness I translated most evidence, but the real pain in the neck ones I didn´t (phone bill, emails, etc). I however had the luxury of translating them myself for free.

If it is an option for you, to do it yourself or by a friend, check out the USCIS website about translation requirements which says this -

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Edited by jessicaruizw

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I think the loophole is in the fact that most of the evidence (emails, skype logs, etc) is not technically documents (in the official sense of the word).

My wife did our translations, and attached a statement that she is fluent in both languages. Save some money if you can.

06/02/12 Married

USCIS

09/17/12 I-130 sent
09/21/12 NOA1 recieved via e-mail (CSC)

09/27/12 NOA1 hardcopy recieved
09/27/12 Case transferred to another office for processing (Jurisdiction)
10/03/12 Received notice of transfer. Transferred to NBC in Missouri
10/03/12 Checked USCIS.gov/Notice of transfer to another USCIS office for processing
12/19/12 NOA2!!!!!

01/07/2013 NVC recieves the case
01/24/2013 Got the Case and IIN #
01/24/2012 E-mailed DS-3032

01/24/2013 AOS bill invoiced
02/07/2013 DS-3032 e-mail accepted
04/15/2013 AOS and IV fees payed

05/15/2013 AOS and IV packages sent

05/29/2013 CASE COMPLETE

06/04/2013 Interview date set for July 30th 2013

07/27/2013 Medical completed

07/30/2013 Interview APPROVED!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Thank you all for your answers :thumbs: I really appreciate.

I can translate my documents such as marriage certificate and other official papers, it would not be a problem since it's not complicated. :thumbs:

The things is that it's very annoying and it will take me a lot of time for all the bills and tax returns in particular ; all the sentences with big words written in small letters. :bonk: So you can confirm for me that we don't have to translate these ?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

Me and my husband are preparing our i-130 package and we have a lot of evidences of a bona fide marriage since we live together in France since a year.

We have joint french tax returns, utility bills, banks accounts and many more. We are wondering if we really have to translate all these documents into english. It's going to cost us an arm and a leg if we have to.

Are both our names and common address on the top right of each document is sufficient for the USCIS without translation ?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Have a good day :D

If you don't send any of those with your petition, you won't need to translate them. They are not needed when filing the petition. Evidence of your resident status in France is the most you would need and that is in your passport. Send evidence you are married and some photos at this stage. REALLY. You can take all those other things to the visa interview in French.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

If you don't send any of those with your petition, you won't need to translate them. They are not needed when filing the petition. Evidence of your resident status in France is the most you would need and that is in your passport. Send evidence you are married and some photos at this stage. REALLY. You can take all those other things to the visa interview in French.

OK this is even better news :D Great :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.