9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi all!

My fiance and I applied for the K1 process and got our NOA1 about a month ago. We are already looking for the process concerning prenups (prenuptial agreements) because he owns his own business. Does anyone has experience with that?

A few questions that come but the internet is really answering:

- We want to get married in Nevada, but want to live in North Dakota, in which state do we have to sign the prenups?

- I read online that we both need an attorney, how does this work?

- Do we need like a notary?

- How much is this going to cost (estimate)?

Sorry we're such nitwits, but all these laws.. it's just hard!

Tips and answers are very welcome :)

He should get a lawyer to draw up the papers, since it is meant to protect him and his business. You don't need a lawyer to sign it, but you can make an appointment with a different lawyer to go over it with you without having to retain them for anything. The cost to draw up papers like that varies by lawyer, it shouldn't be more than a few hundred if all it does is protect his business. The more you put in it, the more it costs. Small town lawyers typically run $100-200/hr, but larger city lawyers will cost closer to $200-$400/hr. From my experience with lawyers, it cost me $150 to drop into a random lawyer to go over some paperwork for 2 hours, about $700 to do a title transfer and refinance a home. It doesn't matter what state it is filed in, they are recognized in all states.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Timeline

He should get a lawyer to draw up the papers, since it is meant to protect him and his business. You don't need a lawyer to sign it, but you can make an appointment with a different lawyer to go over it with you without having to retain them for anything. The cost to draw up papers like that varies by lawyer, it shouldn't be more than a few hundred if all it does is protect his business. The more you put in it, the more it costs. Small town lawyers typically run $100-200/hr, but larger city lawyers will cost closer to $200-$400/hr. From my experience with lawyers, it cost me $150 to drop into a random lawyer to go over some paperwork for 2 hours, about $700 to do a title transfer and refinance a home. It doesn't matter what state it is filed in, they are recognized in all states.

This is how I and my wife did it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all!

My fiance and I applied for the K1 process and got our NOA1 about a month ago. We are already looking for the process concerning prenups (prenuptial agreements) because he owns his own business. Does anyone has experience with that?

A few questions that come but the internet is really answering:

- We want to get married in Nevada, but want to live in North Dakota, in which state do we have to sign the prenups?

- I read online that we both need an attorney, how does this work?

- Do we need like a notary?

- How much is this going to cost (estimate)?

Sorry we're such nitwits, but all these laws.. it's just hard!

Tips and answers are very welcome :)

On such matters my answer is "marry a man that wants to commit to you and share his life with you"

Pre-nups are deal breakers IMO.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Make sure if you have anything you're protected too and or you get something out of it. Who's to know if you will end up putting any time/money into this business.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

A prenup might not be needed at all. Check the laws in your state. Many states say you are entitled to a share of "community" property, meaning property/assets acquired during the marriage. Any property or asset you brought into the marriage is not community property and is not shared. If your state is not a community property state, then a prenup might be in order, so consult an attorney if that is the case.

Edited by RobNKharen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

We're doing the prenups for both of us. It's to protect but also to protect myself. I saw it happening that people divorced and both were responsible for a lot of debt made by just one of the two spouses. So actually I'm the one asking for the prenups, not even him.. Even though it is useful for him too ;)

Is it different if it's not only about the assets but also about debt? Probably not but just to make sure..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.