SaharaSunset

August 15th - Doomsday??!!

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Okay, so I know there are millions of frustrated threads here from those of us who have been transferred to the glorious CSC for "speedy processing"....but I just wanted to add one more fear and frustration...

I just read an article that said the looming 800,000+ Illegal immigrants that are going to be filing for EADs, will increase the USCIS workload by 25%. The article was lamenting how the poor applicants of this new program may have to wait several months because of "backlog." Maybe I'm a heartless brat, but as we are coming up on 9 months since filing, that just makes my blood boil! Has anyone heard if the USCIS centers have been beefed up in preparation for the August 15th onslaught??? Or are those of us who have been drudging through the process "legally" in the first place, about to get royally screwed!? When this news first came out, I vented about this fear, but was secretly sure that by August surely we'd have his greencard (HA!) and people who responded seemed to think that because we are in the I-485 pool, we wouldn't be affected. Well, no greencard yet and I can't see how a 25% increase in applications isn't going to clog the stupid system even more.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I am so frustrated!!!!! I'm just afraid this is gonna drag things out, and suddenly it's going to be March 2013 and my husband's EAD will expire and we're gonna have to re-apply for an extension, and maybe pay the $400 or something...grrrrrr, I just feel so helpless....

Is anyone else worried about this? Its just a few days away....

Now for my other less venting question; Clearly "service requests" to USCIS are useless, so has anyone actually had success with the "contact your senator" route? I don't really understand how that works, or if it works?

I know I need to calm down, but I just feel so totally helpless in this process. We have no options, we are just completely at the mercy of a ridiculous process that is about to get even more ridiculous....maybe we should just go "illegal" and wait for amnesty...its just a matter of time. J/K...kinda :bonk:

Edited by SaharaSunset

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey there, SaharaSunset! I had a detailed conversation about this with my immigration attorney, and she actually said that they're gearing toward opening a separate facility to handle the upcoming onslaught. I wouldn't worry too much about it, because they'll hire new staff into a new/different physical location who'll likely deal with nothing but these new "illegal" cases. As for service requests, I don't know if this'll give you any hope or not, but I filed one with VSC a week and a half after my 5 month mark. They said to give it 15 days to expect a response. A week and a half later I got the NOA2 approval. Is it possible that it's a coincidence? sure. Is it also possible that the service request prompted our case's adjudication, you bet. Hang in there... best of luck!

Our K-1 Visa Timeline

• Jan 20th, 2012 - Mailed I-129F Package to VSC
  • Jan 31st, 2012 - NOA1 Received
  • Jul 11th, 2012 - NOA2 Received
  • Jul 17th, 2012 - Received at NVC/Case Number Assigned
  • Jul 19th, 2012 - Petition Sent to Casablanca Consulate
  • Jul 23rd, 2012 - Petition Received at Casablanca
  • Jul 27th, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
  • Sept 5th, 2012 - Interview (approved)
  • Sept. 7th, 2012 - Visa Received
  • November 16th, 2012 - POE: Atlanta, GA
  • December 1st, 2012 - Married
  • March 21st, 2013 - AOS Filed
  • March 29th, 2013 - I-485 NOA Received
  • June 19th, 2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • July 11th, 2013 - EAD and AP Combined Card Received
  • September 20th, 2013 - NOID issued for missing immunization records
  • September 26th - 27th, 2013 - Obtained updated immunization, physical, sealed records from Civil Surgeon
  • October 3rd, 2013 - Immunization records mailed to USCIS Charlotte Office
  • October 8th, 2013 - Immunization records received at USCIS
  • October 29th, 2013 - I-485 Application to adjust status to Marriage Visa approved (no interview)
  • November 7th, 2013 - Restricted Green Card arrived
  • July 31st, 2015 - I-751 Removal of Conditions filed
  • August 3rd, 2015 - Received ROC NOA1
  • August 25th, 2015 - Biometrics appointment completed
  • July 14th, 2016 - Application for 10-year visa approved; new card in production
  • July 22nd, 2016 - 10-year visa received
  • September 6th, 2016 - Filed N-400 petition for naturalization
  • September 9th, 2016 - N-400 petition for naturalization received by USCIS - Texas Lockbox (September 9th priority date)
  • September 16th, 2016 - NOA received for N-400
  • October 7th, 2016 - Biometrics appointment
  • October 25th, 2016 - placed in line to receive naturalization interview date
  • February 27th, 2017 - interview scheduled
  • March 3rd, 2017 - NOA received for interview date
  • April 3rd, 2017 - naturalization interview - PASSED!
  • April 21st, 2017 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Okay, so I know there are millions of frustrated threads here from those of us who have been transferred to the glorious CSC for "speedy processing"....but I just wanted to add one more fear and frustration...

I just read an article that said the looming 800,000+ Illegal immigrants that are going to be filing for EADs, will increase the USCIS workload by 25%. The article was lamenting how the poor applicants of this new program may have to wait several months because of "backlog." Maybe I'm a heartless brat, but as we are coming up on 9 months since filing, that just makes my blood boil! Has anyone heard if the USCIS centers have been beefed up in preparation for the August 15th onslaught??? Or are those of us who have been drudging through the process "legally" in the first place, about to get royally screwed!? When this news first came out, I vented about this fear, but was secretly sure that by August surely we'd have his greencard (HA!) and people who responded seemed to think that because we are in the I-485 pool, we wouldn't be affected. Well, no greencard yet and I can't see how a 25% increase in applications isn't going to clog the stupid system even more.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I am so frustrated!!!!! I'm just afraid this is gonna drag things out, and suddenly it's going to be March 2013 and my husband's EAD will expire and we're gonna have to re-apply for an extension, and maybe pay the $400 or something...grrrrrr, I just feel so helpless....

Is anyone else worried about this? Its just a few days away....

Now for my other less venting question; Clearly "service requests" to USCIS are useless, so has anyone actually had success with the "contact your senator" route? I don't really understand how that works, or if it works?

I know I need to calm down, but I just feel so totally helpless in this process. We have no options, we are just completely at the mercy of a ridiculous process that is about to get even more ridiculous....maybe we should just go "illegal" and wait for amnesty...its just a matter of time. J/K...kinda :bonk:

I know your frustrations, look at my profile and see our story and timeline. We were getting ready also to file again for a new EAD card as it was gonna expire and then soon there afterwards his green card arrived. Looks like your case is similar to ours. Ours took exactly one year from filing AOS to getting his GC.

Edited by foreverwaiting

Timeline

Hey there, SaharaSunset! I had a detailed conversation about this with my immigration attorney, and she actually said that they're gearing toward opening a separate facility to handle the upcoming onslaught. I wouldn't worry too much about it, because they'll hire new staff into a new/different physical location who'll likely deal with nothing but these new "illegal" cases. As for service requests, I don't know if this'll give you any hope or not, but I filed one with VSC a week and a half after my 5 month mark. They said to give it 15 days to expect a response. A week and a half later I got the NOA2 approval. Is it possible that it's a coincidence? sure. Is it also possible that the service request prompted our case's adjudication, you bet. Hang in there... best of luck!

Thanks for the reply! That would be good if they had a separate facility and new employees - lets hope! And maybe I'll try a service request...I guess it won't hurt :blush: Thanks!

Timeline

I know your frustrations, look at my profile and see our story and timeline. We were getting ready also to file again for a new EAD card as it was gonna expire and then soon there afterwards his green card arrived. Looks like your case is similar to ours. Ours took exactly one year from filing AOS to getting his GC.

Well first, happy 18 month Anniversary! (L) And thanks for the reply. Your timeline is interesting. 8 months waiting and then still an interview - lame! You're "foreverwaiting" name is so painfully true! Its just nice to commiserate with people who know how it feels to be "forever" at the mercy of the government. Sigh! I guess I am a control freak because this waiting patiently drives me CRAZY!! :energy: Oh well, I am grateful 1st and foremost that he is here - waiting to be together was true misery - It was so hard having to wait for that! And luckily my husband can, and is working. I suppose the reality is, even this 2 year conditional greencard is still just a temporary "waiting game" situation. SIGH again! I think I'm gonna try the service request...just so I feel like I am doing something. And I'm still curious about contacting a senator...but we'll see. The good thing is, my sweet husband is very calm and relaxed and not worried at all...he's a good balance for me :)

Well first, happy 18 month Anniversary! (L) And thanks for the reply. Your timeline is interesting. 8 months waiting and then still an interview - lame! You're "foreverwaiting" name is so painfully true! Its just nice to commiserate with people who know how it feels to be "forever" at the mercy of the government. Sigh! I guess I am a control freak because this waiting patiently drives me CRAZY!! :energy: Oh well, I am grateful 1st and foremost that he is here - waiting to be together was true misery - It was so hard having to wait for that! And luckily my husband can, and is working. I suppose the reality is, even this 2 year conditional greencard is still just a temporary "waiting game" situation. SIGH again! I think I'm gonna try the service request...just so I feel like I am doing something. And I'm still curious about contacting a senator...but we'll see. The good thing is, my sweet husband is very calm and relaxed and not worried at all...he's a good balance for me :)

If you want to contact your senator or congressman for help, first find out who it is, second visit their website. On the Senator's page there is usually a section for assistance with the federal government. You will need to fill out a release per the privacy act (they should have one on the site). They will then try to help by contacting the USCIS and requesting a case update. I'm still not sure how helpful it is as I'm still waiting to hear back from both my Senator and Congressman. Good luck!

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

Timeline

If you want to contact your senator or congressman for help, first find out who it is, second visit their website. On the Senator's page there is usually a section for assistance with the federal government. You will need to fill out a release per the privacy act (they should have one on the site). They will then try to help by contacting the USCIS and requesting a case update. I'm still not sure how helpful it is as I'm still waiting to hear back from both my Senator and Congressman. Good luck!

Ah okay, thanks, I'll look into it. When we first started this process (the K-1 visa), a few of my parents friends mentioned "congressman contacts," but my lawyer said we didn't need to pursue that until we had passed the waiting period. Luckily with the K-1 we were processed in great time (if 8 months apart can be called "great" :P .) But we've done the AOS process without a lawyer, so I wondering if we need a boost....and maybe the senator thing would be good. Never hurts to try. Thanks again! :)

Filed: Timeline
1344100417[/url]' post='5584527']

Awww thanks....I just finished a small anniversary cake for after dinner tonight, thou I want a piece now. I remember the wait as well when our journey begin. The possibilty of him never being here with me overwhelmed me so many days and nights. Once he got here, I still found myself saying he is really here, we've made it. Just celebrating our little 1.5 yr anniversary today is fun. It keeps us smiling.

After filing the AOS and after about 8 months, I just had to tell myself to settle down and just be so thankful he is here waiting with you. So that's what I did, and was very prepared for our AOS interview as some times you forget the little things the CO may ask both of us. I had to recount how many brothers and sisters he had on my fingers TWICE lol in front of the CO. She asked me all their names and thank God I remembered them all. That video camera made me nervous, I kept looking at it. I guess if they ever go back and review it, they will find me staring at it laughing.gif like some criminal.

Anyways, you will hear something soon.....best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Wow...just read the numbers have doubled...not 800,000....now more like 1.8...so that would increase the USCIS workload by 50%...swell :cry:
Well, what do we expect for the bargain price of $465? The number of applicants would be a lot more reasonable if their ability to apply depended upon their (illegal) parents' turning themselves in for possible deportation. At any rate, to (I hope) beat the rush, I got Mrs. T-B.'s N-400 (citizenship) application into the mail today, for the bargain price of $680.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I fully expect the President to order USCIS to shift substantial resources to processing those deferred action applications. He wants people to see significant movement on this issue before the elections. He needs Hispanic votes.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

What a joke! And don't worry TBone....according to the USCIS website, they can apply for exemption of payment if they need to....so that $465 need not even apply to them...how pleasant and fair are rolled into one. I'd like to hope they stick to "priority" deadlines, but somehow I don't think they care 3 straws about previous legal filers... :dead:

What a joke! And don't worry TBone....according to the USCIS website, they can apply for exemption of payment if they need to....so that $465 need not even apply to them...how pleasant and fair are rolled into one. I'd like to hope they stick to "priority" deadlines, but somehow I don't think they care 3 straws about previous legal filers... :dead:

Well, it's good to know you can break the rules and suffer no consequences. I would be fine with this if they sent them back to their home country until approval, just like those who legally entered had to do. I'm awfully vexed about a free filing as well.

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Well, it's good to know you can break the rules and suffer no consequences. I would be fine with this if they sent them back to their home country until approval, just like those who legally entered had to do. I'm awfully vexed about a free filing as well.

The ultimate justice would have been for the illegal parents -- whose fault all of this was & is -- to have to choose between their own continued presence in the U.S. and that of their children.

Perhaps our opinions on this debacle, whatever they are, will direct our votes in November.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The ultimate justice would have been for the illegal parents -- whose fault all of this was & is -- to have to choose between their own continued presence in the U.S. and that of their children.

Perhaps our opinions on this debacle, whatever they are, will direct our votes in November.

I didn't mean my previous comment to sound as mean as it did. What is happening to the parents after all? Furthermore, what happens if Obama doesn't get voted back into office? Will Congress attempt to repeal this action? This almost seems like they are giving a lot of a people a lot of wishful thoughts but at the same time not providing them any stable long-term concrete plans with this. Could another Congress/House/President put another action in place nullifying this? If I were an undocumented alien, I would want a lot more answers before I ran to go get this benefit. I mean, what if Mitt Romney wins? Will he cancel all the pending applications for this? I don't see them getting all of these approved before the first of the year. I guess I have a lot of questions and I'm not positive they've thought it all through thoroughly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.