BlackWolf

Worried about VWP...Should I be?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know people ask this question a lot, and for the past month I have been looking around this site and have had a lot of my questions answered so far, but would like some feedback or input on the situation.

My boyfriend is flying from London to Seattle this friday and staying with me for 83 days. I suppose I am worried as to whether or not he will get in because of all the horror stories I have read and because I was questioned quite harshly when I went to England to visit him.

He does not have a job in the UK but he is bringing copies of bills that he has in his name, proof of return ticket, a letter from his mom who he lives with stating when she expects him back since he rents from her, travel insurance that is for the dates he will be here (he is bringing proof of that), around $3500 and proof of that in a bank statement so he can show he can support himself while here, I have also written him a letter saying that I will be responsible for his accommidations (sp? lol) while he is in the US. That letter also includes the places we will be going around the State of Washington, my phone number, address, and I included a copy of the ID part of my passport in it as well, just in case they need that.

I am stressing and probably going to give myself an ulcer from worrying so much but after all these horror stories I have read, I am terrified he will be turned away. When he gets here and the CBP guy asks what his purpose in the US is, he will say he is going on holiday, which is true. If they want him to elaborate then he will do that because obviously they will ask for how long, who he is staying with, etc.

Please help...I am a worrier by nature and this is just killing me. ANY advice will be so greatly appreciated. Thank you SOOOOOO much!

You have nothing to worry. I have been in and out the USA 4-5 times in the last couple of years without any problem.

Only the last trip did I have some proof of ties with me (letter from school and work) but they still didn't ask for it.

Sometimes, little too much knowledge (and horror stories on the internet) makes you worried for nothing.

Timeline

You have nothing to worry. I have been in and out the USA 4-5 times in the last couple of years without any problem.

Only the last trip did I have some proof of ties with me (letter from school and work) but they still didn't ask for it.

Sometimes, little too much knowledge (and horror stories on the internet) makes you worried for nothing.

Oh thank you :) Everyone's story is different, I understand that. It is just hard not to take all these negative things I have heard to heart because I want nothing more than for us to be together and be happy, just like every other person that is a member of this forum. Maybe one day I will be a person who gives advice here instead of asking for it :)

I am a US citizen and on my way to England, I had never been to any other country except crossing the land border into Canada numerous amounts of times. So when I got to the CBP lady there, she really laid into me. I had no idea why. I had to show her a picture of my daughter as proof that I had ties to the US. I wasn't aware that I even needed any of that stuff for my entry into the UK. I have learned my lesson and am trying to get my bf as prepared as I can.

I thank you so much for taking the time to write back to me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Unless he has already visited a lot in the last few months, I doubt he'll have any trouble.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I travelled from london to seattle 4 times with in less than a year. They asked me only two Qs 1) purpose of visit 2) how long am staying for and asked to show return ticket. Never had any problem at seatac airport

Nah, this is his first visit ever, lol. :)

First visit from a VWP country, he will not have a slight problem.

Unless he brings 6-7 luggages and his dogs, cats for a two weeks stay.

Timeline

First visit from a VWP country, he will not have a slight problem.

Unless he brings 6-7 luggages and his dogs, cats for a two weeks stay.

He is staying 83 days tho :) I hope that isn't going to be a problem. We made his ticket for a week before the 90 days just in case anything were to happen and he had to leave a few days later. We are playing it on the safe side, so I hope CBP sees that. It is amazing how much help I have had on here. It's great. Definitely the most helpful forum ever!

Oh and he is only bringing 2 suitcases. Just thought I should add that, lol.

Edited by BlackWolf

You never know when you're going to run into a crazy immigration official. But generally it's not worth giving yourself an ulcer over ;) I know I stressed about it every day for months, but all in all I never had a problem. I never had any proof with me except my return ticket. When I visited for three months I was just told I should be careful not to come back too often. The first time I visited the US was the time I was asked the most questions, but that was because the officer got a little worried that I was meeting my boyfriend for the first time and wanted to check he wasn't a mad axe murderer :lol:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You never know when you're going to run into a crazy immigration official. But generally it's not worth giving yourself an ulcer over ;) I know I stressed about it every day for months, but all in all I never had a problem. I never had any proof with me except my return ticket. When I visited for three months I was just told I should be careful not to come back too often. The first time I visited the US was the time I was asked the most questions, but that was because the officer got a little worried that I was meeting my boyfriend for the first time and wanted to check he wasn't a mad axe murderer :lol:

Hahahaha.. We might have run into the same officer :)

OP, all those horror stories, put them aside. It's great to be prepared, not to be scared to the point of it taking the fun out of visiting each other, and the thrill of it as well. Reek of a tourist and you'll be fine, most likely. Customs are different from country to country. When(or if) they ask, don't make a big deal out of it, just answer truthfully and short, just like when you've been to a different country and somebody at the grocery store detects your accent and asks you "what brings you here?". The answer is usually pretty casual "visiting my boyfriend".

It's his turn to visit you, and you're free to add that to the very brief conversation with the CBP officer.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Timeline

I think the worry is leaving and I actually feel excited now! He has never flown before, lol, so this is a big trip for him. When I went over to see him it was only for 2 weeks but it was the best 2 weeks of my life. The whole trip thing is tough going back and forth but will be totally worth it in the end. It's too bad soul mates have to be on different continents sometimes, lol.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I think the worry is leaving and I actually feel excited now! He has never flown before, lol, so this is a big trip for him. When I went over to see him it was only for 2 weeks but it was the best 2 weeks of my life. The whole trip thing is tough going back and forth but will be totally worth it in the end. It's too bad soul mates have to be on different continents sometimes, lol.

Sometimes, it's easier for two people to make it work in a longdistancerelationship because you're less likely to take your time together for granted. I don't know how many times friends have called me up saying "can't we just pick another day/I'm running a few hours late. WHich is completely fair. BUt I imagine you don't really do that when only having a limited amount of time and wanting to make the best out of it. It's hard for sure, and it's even harder not to confront each other when only wanting the best out of the situation. However it's a great way of getting to know each other when you're right for each other.

Keep them happy thoughts rolling. It's good to know your alternatives if he's not let into the country but he's already got enough to be excited/nervous about when flying for the first time, and visiting you. :)

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Timeline

Visited my wife three times on the VWP. Although I was worried to death each time, it never raised any CBP eyebrows at all. On my first entry at Dulles, the officer just asked who i was visiting, I said my wife, and he stamped my passport. Second time, at Newark, the officer didn't even ask who I was visiting, she just stamped my passport. On my last entry in Vancouver, I actually entered with my wife at the same booth, and the officer just asked "How are you two related?", "Do you have ESTA?" and "When are you going back to Norway?"

Then he made fun of my wife because she wanted an entry stamp as well and told her "US citizens don't get those! Only your husband. Fine, here you go."

I know it's easy to say "don't worry" - I know, because I'm entering with my wife again in 3 weeks. And I'm worried. But all kidding aside, you won't have any problems.

Edited by jaejayC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.