deundjp

Filing for K1 Visa Immediately After Becoming US Citizen

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello-

I am a Japanese native and currently waiting for my US citizenship. I have been residing in the US on Green Card (my fifth year anniversary is later this month) and just had biometrics done. Crossing my fingers for quick turn-around on citizenship as I am currently engaged to be married to a German national. My fiancé was born and raised in Germany and his sister is here on H1B visa for three years as well as his second cousin (he and my fiancé's father are first cousins) is born in America. We have been in committed relationships since last September and he popped the question this January. He has been here many times on tourist visas but never overstayed and never got in any trouble with immigration issues. My question is- is it too risky to file for K1 visa immediately after I become US citizen without a lawyer? Both of us have no criminal histories, no previous marriages, no children, no previous immigration issues nothing and my finances are in perfectly healthy order. If we do not hire a lawyer, is there any special materials we should provide so we don't get caught in red tape? We'd love to get married as soon as we can so that we can live together and start a family. Thanks in advance for your advices.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I don't think you need a lawyer at all. It sounds like there are no immigration issues in your past that need to be addressed so it should be a fairly easy process. I don't see any issues with filing right after you become a citizen.

K-1 Visa
04-29-2011: I-129F Sent
05-05-2011: I-129F NOA1
07-18-2011: I-129F NOA2
08-08-2011: NVC Received
08-09-2011: NVC Left
08-10-2011: Consulate Received
08-26-2011: Consulate mailed Packet 3 (invitation letter)
09-01-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in US
09-10-2011: Packet 3 (invitation letter) Received in Mexico
09-22-2011: Interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-04-2011: DHL Waybill number appears in the afternoon
10-05-2011: Picked up visa from DHL office
11-08-2011: POE Houston, Texas
11-19-2011: Married!

AOS
12-06-2011: Applied for Social Security Number
12-08-2011: AOS package sent (I-485, I-765, I-131, and supporting docs)
12-12-2011: Received Social Security Number and card in the mail
12-20-2011: Received NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131
01-06-2012: Completed ASC appointment
02-02-2012: Received appointment notice for AOS interview on March 1, 2012
03-01-2012: Green card interview: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-10-2012: Green card received

ROC

12-27-2013: I-751 Sent

01-02-2014: Received NOA1 for I-751

01-24-2014: Completed ASC appointment

04-01-2014: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no interview)

CITIZENSHIP

11-14-2016: N-400 Sent

05-19-2017: Naturalization interview:  APPROVED!!!!!!!

06-28-2017: Citizenship ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello-

I am a Japanese native and currently waiting for my US citizenship. I have been residing in the US on Green Card (my fifth year anniversary is later this month) and just had biometrics done. Crossing my fingers for quick turn-around on citizenship as I am currently engaged to be married to a German national. My fiancé was born and raised in Germany and his sister is here on H1B visa for three years as well as his second cousin (he and my fiancé's father are first cousins) is born in America. We have been in committed relationships since last September and he popped the question this January. He has been here many times on tourist visas but never overstayed and never got in any trouble with immigration issues. My question is- is it too risky to file for K1 visa immediately after I become US citizen without a lawyer? Both of us have no criminal histories, no previous marriages, no children, no previous immigration issues nothing and my finances are in perfectly healthy order. If we do not hire a lawyer, is there any special materials we should provide so we don't get caught in red tape? We'd love to get married as soon as we can so that we can live together and start a family. Thanks in advance for your advices.

You must be a US Citizen when you file. There is no time limit imposed so you could file the exact day of your Naturalization ceremony;;;;I would. Do you have evidence that you two have met in person within the two years prior to the filing? If so then you are good to go. I'd say good luck, but if you just follow the guides and example forms and include the necessary fees and documents, you will be approved. Congrats in advance. And Good Luck on your Naturalization interview; it should go smoothly. They will ask you some of the questions you are studying for.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Once you become a citizen, go ahead!

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

You must be a US Citizen when you file. There is no time limit imposed so you could file the exact day of your Naturalization ceremony;;;;I would. Do you have evidence that you two have met in person within the two years prior to the filing? If so then you are good to go. I'd say good luck, but if you just follow the guides and example forms and include the necessary fees and documents, you will be approved. Congrats in advance. And Good Luck on your Naturalization interview; it should go smoothly. They will ask you some of the questions you are studying for.

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, we have been correcting "evidences" such as photos, airline tickets, concert tickets where we both attended, email messages, WhatsApp message archives, and screen shots of our Facetime call logs (which happens 2 to 3 times a day, everyday when we are both apart). He's visiting me next week (hooray!) and we are going to start preparing the forms together while he's here so that I can send in the packet just as soon as I get my citizenship as you suggested. Thanks again!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No Lawyer needed. Read all the informational guides here on VJ. Educate yourself well before you file. You should have no problem. Thousands of people do it themselves with better success than some lawyers.

But, if you just want to give your money away, I can always use the extra cash :lol:

Good luck to you and your future spouse....

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

No Lawyer needed. Read all the informational guides here on VJ. Educate yourself well before you file. You should have no problem. Thousands of people do it themselves with better success than some lawyers.

But, if you just want to give your money away, I can always use the extra cash :lol:

Good luck to you and your future spouse....

Thanks! My head's spinning reading all the sites, but glad to have these resources readily available online!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi! That's what i did. i filed after a month that i got my certificate. Its good!!! go ahead! Goodluck!

****** Whatever comments i post are based only on what I've done or experienced during this journey. ******

And we should be here to help each other.

Peace out! =)

Timeline

hi! That's what i did. i filed after a month that i got my certificate. Its good!!! go ahead! Goodluck!

Great to know that you were successful. Thanks for replying! One more question for you, if I may- were you asked about any oversees trips during your citizenship interviews? I was wondering if I say I visited Germany so many times in order to visit my German "fiancé", they won't give me a citizenship...

Timeline

Great to know that you were successful. Thanks for replying! One more question for you, if I may- were you asked about any oversees trips during your citizenship interviews? I was wondering if I say I visited Germany so many times in order to visit my German "fiancé", they won't give me a citizenship...

Hi! Yeah, it doesn't matter if you just got your naturalization cert. i actually, just got my noa2 last july 24th. i applied around april. and yes, you have to fill out the n-400 and it will ask you about all your recent trips on the interview. Don't worry about it. it doesn't matter how many times you've visited, i've read that as long as you didnt stay there for 6 months, you should be fine. make sure you make copies of all the forms that youre sending them in case they mess it up or something.

let me know if i can be of any help.

Goodluck

****** Whatever comments i post are based only on what I've done or experienced during this journey. ******

Peace out! =)

Timeline

Hi! Yeah, it doesn't matter if you just got your naturalization cert. i actually, just got my noa2 last july 24th. i applied around april. and yes, you have to fill out the n-400 and it will ask you about all your recent trips on the interview. Don't worry about it. it doesn't matter how many times you've visited, i've read that as long as you didnt stay there for 6 months, you should be fine. make sure you make copies of all the forms that youre sending them in case they mess it up or something.

let me know if i can be of any help.

Goodluck

Thank you and congrats on your NOA2!- I just got the interview notice, which will be August 29th in Newark, which I hear we can get Oath Ceremony on the same day. My fiance is visiting me right now so we are planning to prepare all of the necessary paperwork for K-1 filing, date it as August 30th or something and mail it right away. My "type A" personality is finally at good use for things like this... LOL.

Timeline

Thank you and congrats on your NOA2!- I just got the interview notice, which will be August 29th in Newark, which I hear we can get Oath Ceremony on the same day. My fiance is visiting me right now so we are planning to prepare all of the necessary paperwork for K-1 filing, date it as August 30th or something and mail it right away. My "type A" personality is finally at good use for things like this... LOL.

Good for you! Good luck. Ask her to fill out the g-325 form and sign your letter of intent.

Peace out! =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.