tberta.brooks

Help with Cell phone

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Morning my fellow VJers . . . This post is for my jamaican filers . . . my future got his cell phone stolen and is looking to me to replace it . . unfortunately I am not in a position financially to do this. I know that in the future it will kill me not being able to talk to him since we usually talk 2-3 times a day. He is really poor and his pay from him job is barely enough to feed his children . . . my question is . . do anyone know of a cellphone/service that I could get cheaply there? something I could tell him about and we could look into getting it? Thank you for any advise you can give me . . .

Vickie

"Challenges are what make life interesting;

overcoming them is what makes life meaningful"- Joshua J. Marine

Timeline

:thumbs:

good deal . . did u purchase it here or over there? I guess he could purchase it over there. I will tell him . .

Vickie

Timeline

good deal . . did u purchase it here or over there? I guess he could purchase it over there. I will tell him . .

If he just need a phone to talk on with 'no frills' and on the prepaid plan he can get one for as low or lower than US$20 in Jamaica. If he wants a BB or IPhone then thats another matter.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Timeline

well actually i do think he wants a better phone than the nikita . . . how do i get him a more modern one? do I buy it here and ship it there or does he purchase it there? Thanks every one . .

Vickie

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you buy a phone here in US, it has to be an unlocked phone, because if you buy a phone attached to a US plan, he will have to pay international rates. If you are looking for a short term solution, he should just buy a less expensive phone until he gets here. Also, unlocked phones start at about 150.00. - 450.00.

You can look on Amazon.com or any cellphone provider for unlocked phones.

You can look at Digicel website for other phones and prices.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline

My man's phone broke recently as well. He went and got a cheap one in Ochi just to be able to get and recieve his calls. No frills. He knew he would be up here soon so he didnt bother with a nicer phone. I told him he isnt rolling around down there with a better phone than me :)

The phone wont work up here anyhow so what is he planning on doing with it when he leaves?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Caribbean regional forum; topic is not a spousal visa process topic.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

very good point . . phone wont work up here anyways . . sooooooooooo cheapie it is . . .

Thanks you guys . . . knew u would have great suggestions. :dance:

Vickie

1)Cheap Nokia from Digicel is good (approx $20-$50US)

2)Get international plan (approx $15US/month)

Even if you get an inexpensive unlocked phone in the US, it may cost you more than a pretty penny get it cleared. Of course this depends on if it is a smart phone or not. If it is the latter might as well buy a simple phone in Ja. If the former and you have no one the personally transport it for you, then my advice is forget it. Hopefully with a little patience, he'll be joining you in the US this time next year where he will be on your plan + have a fancy phone. Save money where you can since you both seem to be pretty strapped for cash not to mention a pricey unplanned trip occurred.

Edited by aaydrian

Timeline

1)Cheap Nokia from Digicel is good (approx $20-$50US)

2)Get international plan (approx $15US/month)

Even if you get an inexpensive unlocked phone in the US, it may cost you more than a pretty penny get it cleared. Of course this depends on if it is a smart phone or not. If it is the latter might as well buy a simple phone in Ja. If the former and you have no one the personally transport it for you, then my advice is forget it. Hopefully with a little patience, he'll be joining you in the US this time next year where he will be on your plan + have a fancy phone. Save money where you can since you both seem to be pretty strapped for cash not to mention a pricey unplanned trip occurred.

I like your style!!! :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Just another option if you want to go another route and not have another phone stolen.

http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/

This will cost about $40 and acts like a local USA number, needs connection to High speed internet. Its a one time payment and unlimited calling.

I sent one of these to pakistan and we can talk as much as we want.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.