mejms

Showing Taxes

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've lived in Mexico for the last 6 years, freelancing as an English teacher. During this time I have paid all my taxes in Mexico but never filed my tax returns with the US.

I'm applying for an IR-1 for my wife and IR-2 for my adopted son. My mother will provide the Affidavit of Support. Will I need to provide tax returns from the last several years when submitting paperwork or in the interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Tax returns from Mexico? no....

Just to make sure even though you didn't make money in the us, you never filed either correct?

“Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You may not owe US taxes, but you may need to file the returns. If you earned over the minimum for any of the last 3 years, you will need to file. Check the IRS website for the amounts and also how to use the foreign income exclusion to avoid double taxation.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I would confirm in the link above whether you were required to file a return and try to file the returns even if your income wasn't taxable - it isn't unless it went over like $90,000 US annually (having taught English in Mexico, I'm thinking that's not the case...). You will either need to submit those returns along with your mother's, or you will need to write a letter explaining why you weren't required to file (which would apply if your income was below the required threshold in the vicinity of $8,000 a year or something like that).

Edited by GlobeHopperMama

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

I would confirm in the link above whether you were required to file a return and try to file the returns even if your income wasn't taxable - it isn't unless it went over like $90,000 US annually (having taught English in Mexico, I'm thinking that's not the case...). You will either need to submit those returns along with your mother's, or you will need to write a letter explaining why you weren't required to file (which would apply if your income was below the required threshold in the vicinity of $8,000 a year or something like that).

Which would be easier. Filing the back tax returns and then getting tax transcripts from the IRS or trying to explain to the satisfaction of an USCIS employee why you did not need to file a tax return? Your call. Technically, you are required to file a tax return anytime you have income anywhere in the world. It is just the IRS does not care as long as you do not make above the taxable level.

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

I have not filed any returns at all in the last 6 years.

I am not eligible for the tax foreign income exclusion because I have worked independently as a freelancer and not for a company.

I know that I don't need to pay any federal income tax. I just need to file the paperwork. But I'm concerned that I need to pay self-employment tax even on the meager income in dollars that I've made while in Mexico. The self-employment tax is 15% of net profit and applies to anyone who works independently or has a business in any country in the world while making income in any currency.

If my mother is filling out the affidavit of support, will I still need to provide my tax returns to USCIS or only hers?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am not eligible for the tax foreign income exclusion because I have worked independently as a freelancer and not for a company.

I know that I don't need to pay any federal income tax. I just need to file the paperwork. But I'm concerned that I need to pay self-employment tax even on the meager income in dollars that I've made while in Mexico. The self-employment tax is 15% of net profit and applies to anyone who works independently or has a business in any country in the world while making income in any currency.

If my mother is filling out the affidavit of support, will I still need to provide my tax returns to USCIS or only hers?

The petitioner is always the primary sponsor and submits a complete affidavit of support regardless of income.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As already stated, as the petitioner you must submit a complete AOS. If the IRS requires you to file a return, then you must have them complete in time to file your AOS.

Hate to say it but you have not been paying your taxes as your are required to do as you have not paid your self-employment tax. So the IRS will come after you and the USCIS will in all likelihood deny your application unless you resolve the issue with the IRS. You state you know you need to file the self-employment tax yet you have failed to do so. You have dug yourself a nice hole by making this choice. As others have stated, you will need to provide a complete I-864 which at the least includes the most recent tax return or a very well written letter stating why you think you do not need to file a tax return. If USCIS accepts your letter, then you are okay, but if not, that hole just got bigger.

I hope it all works out for you,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

Hate to say it but you have not been paying your taxes as your are required to do as you have not paid your self-employment tax. So the IRS will come after you and the USCIS will in all likelihood deny your application unless you resolve the issue with the IRS. You state you know you need to file the self-employment tax yet you have failed to do so. You have dug yourself a nice hole by making this choice. As others have stated, you will need to provide a complete I-864 which at the least includes the most recent tax return or a very well written letter stating why you think you do not need to file a tax return. If USCIS accepts your letter, then you are okay, but if not, that hole just got bigger.

I hope it all works out for you,

Dave

No hole, no worries. I'll act on what I know now. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.