16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I do not know if you would be able to help me over e-mail but I thought I would just e-mail you just in case. Basically, I want to know what I would have to do to get me and my fiance settled together in the United States. He is from Morocco and we have been together since 2007. He is now here in the United States on a Q-1 visa that expires August 2013 and we plan on getting married within the time he is here, possibly within the next 5-8 months. We have all our e-mails since 2007, old letters, around 150 pictures from my 3 visits to see him in 2009 and my semester long visit (4 months) in 2010. Now that he is here we will have other pictures etc and after we marry we are planning to have a joint bank account and planning on saving together. Neither of us have any criminal background or anything and we are both from the same religion and I am a US Citizen. My question is, what should we do to get started with being together without being separated anymore? Should we get the marriage licensee and then try to do his visa stuff here or should he marry and go back when his visa expires and then I file for the paperwork from United States while he is in Morocco? What kind of forms would I need ? Also, since we are both recent college graduates we do not have a lot of money and we may not be able to immediately live together since he has a contract with his job but we will be able to constantly visit each other and we are very determined and focused about saving up and working hard to make out dream of not being separated anymore come true. My mother said she can support us on the affidavit because she makes enough income but what would your advice for this be? Some of the things that they ask for are hard to show for recent college graduates. I am really worried about this and confused

& please no judgmental comments, thanks!

:blush: thank you all!

Edited by ishaparvar

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It sounds like it will be fine for you to marry and him to stay in USA and not leave till he gets the greenard after you file AOS..forms I-485 and I-130 together...which is about 1100.00 dollars. You can file when you can afford it but if his visa expires then he cannot work. You guys have some time to plan stuff since he has another year here.

You can start working and prove you make enough to support him ( I think it is about 19,000 a year for 2 people...if you have kids en you need to add like 4000 a kid).

Your mom can be a joint sponsor also but try to do it without her. He works and you will work...so just file 5 months before his visa expires and prove you make enough money for 2012 tax return and everything will be fine

Congrats and good luck

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to AOS from Work, Student etc visa as this seems the best option for OP ****

Rather than getting a visa, your husband may be able to Adjust Status after the marriage. Have a look at the guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

I do not know if you would be able to help me over e-mail but I thought I would just e-mail you just in case. Basically, I want to know what I would have to do to get me and my fiance settled together in the United States. He is from Morocco and we have been together since 2007. He is now here in the United States on a Q-1 visa that expires August 2013 and we plan on getting married within the time he is here, possibly within the next 5-8 months. We have all our e-mails since 2007, old letters, around 150 pictures from my 3 visits to see him in 2009 and my semester long visit (4 months) in 2010. Now that he is here we will have other pictures etc and after we marry we are planning to have a joint bank account and planning on saving together. Neither of us have any criminal background or anything and we are both from the same religion and I am a US Citizen. My question is, what should we do to get started with being together without being separated anymore? Should we get the marriage licensee and then try to do his visa stuff here or should he marry and go back when his visa expires and then I file for the paperwork from United States while he is in Morocco? What kind of forms would I need ? Also, since we are both recent college graduates we do not have a lot of money and we may not be able to immediately live together since he has a contract with his job but we will be able to constantly visit each other and we are very determined and focused about saving up and working hard to make out dream of not being separated anymore come true. My mother said she can support us on the affidavit because she makes enough income but what would your advice for this be? Some of the things that they ask for are hard to show for recent college graduates. I am really worried about this and confused

& please no judgmental comments, thanks!

thank you all!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

here is the link to the USCIS list of fees. These are the official fees for each form as of the most recent revision of November 2010: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Here is the link to the page where you can download form I-129F and instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a10e4154d7b3d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

The best advice I can give you: Read the instructions carefully, until you completely understand each requirement.

Here is a link to the page that shows the photo requirements: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visaphotoreq/photoexamples/photoexamples_5331.html

It is important that you do everything right the first time! If you have questions you should hire a lawyer. If you cannot afford to hire a professional to help you, this site has a lot of valuable information.

Good luck!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

** merged two topics and deleted a third without answers. Please do not post more than once on a question. If you have follow-on questions or additional info, post these as a reply in your original topic ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

:sigh: Disney world............

We visit Disney 1-2 times per year with one of my favorite stops being the World Showcase in Epcot. I can't tell you how many times I start talking with the people in "morocco" and I hear about their plan to marry their American gf/bf. I'm not saying it isn't real, but I've heard it so many times. And it's both the male and female workers who are schmoozing the American too.

event.png

Timeline

For anyone who is reading this, Disney lobbied for the creation of the Q visa due to some of the requirements for the J visa. I'd only make sure there is no foreign residency requirement that exists with this visa as does with the J visa. I'd have to assume that with all the Moroccans staying in central florida after their contract expires that there isn't such a requirement.

event.png

Timeline

We visit Disney 1-2 times per year with one of my favorite stops being the World Showcase in Epcot. I can't tell you how many times I start talking with the people in "morocco" and I hear about their plan to marry their American gf/bf. I'm not saying it isn't real, but I've heard it so many times. And it's both the male and female workers who are schmoozing the American too.

Wow, that is a very disrespectful and rude response. You did not answer any of my questions and instead you went on generalizing a group of people. Why did you even bother replying to my thread? You know nothing about me and neither about my fiance. I am well aware of what kind of person he is so please think twice before you leave such rude comments again.

Timeline

As I have stated above this thread was for questions that I have and not to come and make such rude and generalizing comments towards Moroccans & you are saying , "not saying it is not real" . I don't need you to say if it is not real or not and honestly I don't care if you think it is real , I just wanted advice on my question and that is it. Unless you are my fiance, his family, my family or our friends who have known us for the last five years then keep your prejudice comments to yourself. Thanks!

Timeline

For anyone who is reading this, Disney lobbied for the creation of the Q visa due to some of the requirements for the J visa. I'd only make sure there is no foreign residency requirement that exists with this visa as does with the J visa. I'd have to assume that with all the Moroccans staying in central florida after their contract expires that there isn't such a requirement.

& last thing PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE TYPING !if you read it well I posted that we have known each other for the last 5 years not that he has come here and started dating. Your response is not helpful at all and instead you are doing nothing but spreading prejudice. Shame on you.

I suggest you start by reading the information contained here, here and here to see which route suits your needs. Once you have read the guides and determined how you wish to proceed, then come back and ask more specific questions if you need to.

Background Information

-Dec 2006: Arrived with an F1 visa

-Dec 2007: Met USC.

-Dec 2009: Got Engaged.

-Jan 2010: Fell out of Status.

-Oct 2010: Married USC.

-Feb 2012: Filed I-130/AOS

I-130/AOS Timeline

Day 0: 02/25/12: Mailed concurrent I-130/AOS Package to the Chicago Lockbox

Day 2: 02/27/12: Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox.

Day 5: 03/01/12: Email acceptance confirmation received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765.

Day 13: 03/09/12: NOA1s received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765. Biometrics letter also received and scheduled for March 27th.

Day 24: 03/20/12: Email notification for RFE.

Day 27: 03/23/12: Hardcopy RFE received in the mail.

Day 31: 03/27/12: Biometrics completed.

Day 40: 04/05/12: Mailed off the RFE.

Day 44: 04/09/12: RFE Delivered.

Day 46: 04/11/12: USCIS received RFE and case updated online.

Day 55: 04/20/12: EAD approved!

Day 60: 04/25/12: Received 2nd "EAD in Production" Email.

Day 61: 04/26/12: EAD Mailed.

Day 63: 04/28/12: EAD in hand!

Day 74: 05/09/12: Interview date scheduled for June 12th.

Day 75: 05/10/12: Interview letter in hand.

Day 108: 06/12/12: Interview.

Day 110: 06/14/12: Received I-485 & I-130 approval emails.

Day 114: 06/18/12: Received I-130 & I-485 Approval hardcopies.

Day 115: 06/19/12: Received GC in production email.

Day 116: 06/20/12: Received "GC mailed" & "USPS picked up your GC" emails.

Day 118: 06/22/12: GC arrived in the mail

March 16th 2014: Eligible to file ROC.

March 16th 2015: Eligible to file for naturalization.

Timeline

I suggest you start by reading the information contained here, here and here to see which route suits your needs. Once you have read the guides and determined how you wish to proceed, then come back and ask more specific questions if you need to.

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know.

Timeline

& last thing PLEASE READ WHAT I WROTE BEFORE TYPING !if you read it well I posted that we have known each other for the last 5 years not that he has come here and started dating. Your response is not helpful at all and instead you are doing nothing but spreading prejudice. Shame on you.

Do you realize from my flag that I'm married to a north africsn as well. I don't know how I can spread prejudice with two brown part arab children from the ssme background as your fiance.

I'm merely mentioning my experience over the last 8 yrs visiting epcot.

I advised you to make sure there is no foreign residency requirement with Q visas as there is with J visas. J visas are the old way in which Disney brought people for cultural exchange.

If there is a foreign residency requirement it could cause problems with his AOS. I don't think there is one but it's better to be safe.

Also, I never said anything bad about him but about The Disney program in general and what goes on during the time here. Please be careful when you throw around the word prejudice when no One said anything of the sort.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.