Lisa-O

Getting Married what happens if my visa doesnt come through in time???

15 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Just found this website today, and it's a god-send. My fiance is American and I am from the UK looking to move over and get married on 26th October 2012. We filed the paperwork the middle of January, received acceptance of paperwork 6th Feb and have received the reference number to check progress 13th Feb. I understand it takes aprx 5 months...so we are eagerly waiting 6th July for more word. I'm hoping the process after this would be pretty quick and smooth, as I'm expecting to book a medical and with the results get an appointment with the embassy...and aiming for the process to be completed realistically by Auguest, September the latest.

My worry is that the visa wont be ready before we get married on 26th October 2012, what would happen if this was the case? Would I need to start a whole new petition, or would the existing one suffice. We did say we wanted to marry in October in our application, but Im sure this wont affect anything?

Thanks for any advice or similar experiences!:)

Hey Guys,

Just found this website today, and it's a god-send. My fiance is American and I am from the UK looking to move over and get married on 26th October 2012. We filed the paperwork the middle of January, received acceptance of paperwork 6th Feb and have received the reference number to check progress 13th Feb. I understand it takes aprx 5 months...so we are eagerly waiting 6th July for more word. I'm hoping the process after this would be pretty quick and smooth, as I'm expecting to book a medical and with the results get an appointment with the embassy...and aiming for the process to be completed realistically by Auguest, September the latest.

My worry is that the visa wont be ready before we get married on 26th October 2012, what would happen if this was the case? Would I need to start a whole new petition, or would the existing one suffice. We did say we wanted to marry in October in our application, but Im sure this wont affect anything?

Welcome to VJ!

October 26 is cutting really close, alas. There's a saying on VJ, especially with the K-1 to not make any firm wedding plans until the visa is in your hands.

There are many petitions that take longer than five months and if your fiancé receives an RFE (request for further evidence), that could further delay the process. Right now, it's taking about three months from receipt of NOA2 to the interview in London. So, assuming you receive an approval of the petition by July, you're looking at October for the interview.

If the K-1 visa isn't issued by the wedding date and you opt to not move that date to accommodate the K-1, then your then-husband would need to restart the process and file an I-130 spousal petition. You would need to return to the UK while that is in process, so I would definitely recommend moving the wedding date if possible to avoid having to start over again. You can read up on the I-130 process here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Good luck!

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey Guys,

If you did a fiance visa and you get married on that one before you get ur visa .You will have to start ALL over again .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hey Guys,

Or...you could possibly just have the wedding party without the ceremony and then just get married once you have the visa.

All of the above replies are good and applicable. The number one "mistake" is setting a date because "Murphy's Law" can always mess things up. I filed the 129-F in January of 2011 and we weren't approved until late October. It also included an RFE which delayed things for just a week. I sent the reply by FedEx to make sure it got there ASAP. We ended up just going to court, here in the U.S. and are planning a Blessing ceremony in the U.K. this Fall, AFTER going through the AP process! Just as a watched pot never boils, a watch visa won't come quicker! Peep other time-lines to get an idea of what the scenario will be.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1340279029[/url]' post='5469200']

Hey Guys,

The applicable answer, and that which I suspect you do not want to hear, is you may need a plan B in case your visa does not come through. If you get married in GB your circumstance will change and so will your visa, meaning you will be back to square 1 almost.

One alternative, if you allow me, would be to have a religious ceremony, if that is your persuasion, so long as you make sure such ceremony is not legally binding. So long as you are not legally married as a result, you're OK with your K visa.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

k-1 visa is for fiancee ONLY

if you get married your are no longer a fiancee, now a spouse. Whole different application, whole new process, whole new waiting game.

Final Thought: Move the Wedding date, play it safe and you won't be sorry.

:guides:

Good Luck!

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Thanks guys, I thought this may be what I would be faced with, and seems the most sensible option, as having to return to the UK waiting for the spouse visa would be too much. Thankyou all for your replies...I think I need to speak to my fiance :)

Hey everyone...

Just to follow on from my first post about timing...I've had a look at a lot of other couples' timelines, and they seem to be getting approved for the visa in around 8 months sometimes shorter. I should be receiving my NOA2 in the next week or so, the general time for approval after this date is 2-3 months, which would take me to beginning of August/Sept...so I'm thinking I could be OK for the wedding in October...or do you guys think this is too close and could end in disaster??

Thanks for your input, and good luck with your own applications.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

You should be fine, took me under 7 months to get it, and the NOA2 took 5 months to arrive.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

You should be fine, took me under 7 months to get it, and the NOA2 took 5 months to arrive.

Thanks, Im getting a little anxious, as Im also selling my home for the move and dont want to end up living with my parents again if anything is delayed...Im thinking about pushing the wedding back 2-3 weeks if the venue will let us do this. It's all such a rollercoaster, but definately worth it!!! Congratulations on your visa :)

Thanks, Im getting a little anxious, as Im also selling my home for the move and dont want to end up living with my parents again if anything is delayed...Im thinking about pushing the wedding back 2-3 weeks if the venue will let us do this. It's all such a rollercoaster, but definately worth it!!! Congratulations on your visa :)

If you can move the wedding back to give yourself more time then do it. You want to be able to relax enjoy your wedding (and the time just before it) and not be a bag of nerves and stressed in the run up to it.

If you can move the wedding back to give yourself more time then do it. You want to be able to relax enjoy your wedding (and the time just before it) and not be a bag of nerves and stressed in the run up to it.

Thanks Lynne, yeah I agree, theres a lot of variables for it to end in tears...pushing the date back a bit would make things easier :)

Hey everyone...

Just to follow on from my first post about timing...I've had a look at a lot of other couples' timelines, and they seem to be getting approved for the visa in around 8 months sometimes shorter. I should be receiving my NOA2 in the next week or so, the general time for approval after this date is 2-3 months, which would take me to beginning of August/Sept...so I'm thinking I could be OK for the wedding in October...or do you guys think this is too close and could end in disaster??

Thanks for your input, and good luck with your own applications.

According to the VJ estimate based on your timeline info, your case may be adjudicated as late as July 9. (And of course, fingers crossed your fiancé doesn't receive an RFE!)

Considering there are a number of VJers with petitions at the Vermont Service Center, who also filed in January and are past the five-month mark, I'd recommend erring on the side of moving the wedding date. This process is pretty much out of your hands at the moment, so I would do what I could to control the things I can.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Hello!

I'm a USC and my fiance lives in the UK. We initially filed the paperwork in November and his interview date is next week. So that's about 7 months from start to finish. We set our wedding date months in the future seeing as you have 6 months to use the visa once you get it. Our wedding date is October 27th! The one thing you want to be careful of is that because of the Olympics in London this summer there is going to be more traffic through the embassy which can mean a delay in the process. I would say play it safe and move the wedding date or as others suggested. Have a reception and get officially married at a later date if that's what you want. You can never be sure of the processing times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.