8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all.

Here's background information:

April 6 2012: Fiance arrived from Japan on K1-VISA. I-94 form Expires July 4th, 2012.

May 2012: Applied for and received SSN.

June 15th, 2012: We got married at the County Clerk Office with her new name written on the certificate.

June 18th, 2012: Added my wife to my insurance under her new name.

June 19th, 2012: AOS Packet with her new name was shipped to Chicago USCIS Office via Express Mail. Will arrive today, June 20th, 2012.

June 20th, 2012: Attempted to change name at the SSA using Marriage Certificate, valid I-94, passport, and birth certificate.

FAILED! SSA won't change her name because I-94 will expire in exactly 14 days from today.

I knew this was an issue for applying for a SSN, but for a name change?!

Will this cause a problem???

What happens when the I-94 expires? Will we receive a letter in the mail stating that her case is submitted and under review so she doesn't get deported or something?

The SSA official said that the only way for us to change her name now is to wait until we get her EAD or some new document that shows she's allowed to be here.

What to do? What to do?

Thanks for responses in advance.

:bonk: Why do you think a SSN in her married name somehow has anything to do with her status in the US?

She can have her SSN in maiden name until she gets her EAD.

You have already sent off you AOS paperwork, correct? With that, she has entered a NEW period of authorized stay, until it is adjudicated.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This happened to me too. I wasn't able to change my name because my I-94 was about to expire. The lady tried changing my name but the computer system didn't let her, so she advised me to go back after I receive my EAD.

Filed: Timeline

:bonk: Why do you think a SSN in her married name somehow has anything to do with her status in the US?

She can have her SSN in maiden name until she gets her EAD.

You have already sent off you AOS paperwork, correct? With that, she has entered a NEW period of authorized stay, until it is adjudicated.

Yes. I shipped off the AOS paperwork yesterday. Does she receive some sort of official notification that she is being processed and that she is authorized to stay? Until she gets the EAD etc? I just want to make sure that it won't cause a problem with anything since all the AOS paperwork has her married name along with her SSN registered to her Maiden name.

I'm also curious about if it will affect her on my Insurance because she's registered with her married name but using the Maiden Named SSN. I've already contacted my company about it as this site isn't for insurance issues. Waiting for a response.

Yes. I shipped off the AOS paperwork yesterday. Does she receive some sort of official notification that she is being processed and that she is authorized to stay? Until she gets the EAD etc? I just want to make sure that it won't cause a problem with anything since all the AOS paperwork has her married name along with her SSN registered to her Maiden name.

I'm also curious about if it will affect her on my Insurance because she's registered with her married name but using the Maiden Named SSN. I've already contacted my company about it as this site isn't for insurance issues. Waiting for a response.

It makes no difference what "names things are in." There will be some lag time while various IDs are updating. There will be zero problems.

You will receive a "Notice of Action" that states they have accepted your AOS packet for initial review. It will not say that her authorized stay is extended or anything, but it is. You can read the Immigration and Nationality Act for this law, if you like. Her SSN is not proof of valid status anyway, so what that says does not matter. Her number is not "registered" to her; it is hers. If there is any issue, you can show a copy of your marriage certificate. It will not affect her insurance. You don't even need to bring up the fact that she has a different name on her SSN card... just give them the number... It is her SSN. Really... Changing IDs takes some time and people know that...

There seems to be a confusion here about what a SSN is. It is a unique number assigned by the SSA in order to tally retirement benefits. That's all. Your insurance company piggybacks on the SSA's ability to provide everyone with a unique number, so they use the number themselves, but insurance does not verify with SSA and it is not tied to them or their name records in any way. A SSN is not proof of valid immigration status, and it does not give anyone the right to work. It is just an identification number in order to tally Social Security Benefits.

:time:

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is easy to change SS card after the green card comes in her married name, her social security card number is hers no matter if it shows maiden or married name. Weather its a drivers license or social security card you want to never wait till it is close to expiration to apply or do changes. Most states and new federal statues taking affect will and do tie immigration documents and their expiration dates to other state and federal issued documents. Thus your drivers license will expire and coincide with the immigration dates of expiration. Homeland Security has instituted new rules for identification and the issuance of same. For us at VJ we have seen new security measures on the green cards and passports. Hang in There.

In Arizona they scan in the USCIS documents so they show in their system.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Come back there when you'll have the EAD or green card, + your marriage certificate. Sounds logical to me they don't want to issue a new card, you don't have proof from the immigration that you're on a legal status for still some time (2 weeks is not enough). The EAD will be valid for a year, and that should pleased the SSA. :P

When I went to have my SS card before I got married, the employee clearly told me to come back with my EAD and marriage certificate, and they will proceed to name change on my card.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.