Rebecca Jo

Before you permanently move to the US

541 posts in this topic

What were the thresholds previously?

There wasn't a specific threshold. The guidance was a couple had to have "adequate reserves" after paying for housing. This was interpreted to be around £110 or so per week (the amount of some benefit a person can get - never paid much attention).

Things were actually way too easy before.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Europeans do not have access to the UK and the Healthcare system.

Somebody immigrating from the US would, a big chunk of change.

Yes they do. You really should try learning about this subject before you try and argue about it. :bonk:

There wasn't a specific threshold. The guidance was a couple had to have "adequate reserves" after paying for housing. This was interpreted to be around £110 or so per week (the amount of some benefit a person can get - never paid much attention).

Things were actually way too easy before.

Thanks. It's pretty upsetting reading to learn that moving back to the UK would be more prohibitive than what we went through to move to the USA. Quicker, maybe, but tougher.

Not that I'm pre-planning to move back to the UK before I've even hit US shores, but it's nice to have options. Now I'd have to get an £18.6k job in the UK to before he could join me? Also, to be on 'probation' for five years is just galling.

It just makes me really sad, not just for me but for all long-distance couples. Angry letters to MPs imminent...

Thanks. It's pretty upsetting reading to learn that moving back to the UK would be more prohibitive than what we went through to move to the USA. Quicker, maybe, but tougher.

Not that I'm pre-planning to move back to the UK before I've even hit US shores, but it's nice to have options. Now I'd have to get an £18.6k job in the UK to before he could join me? Also, to be on 'probation' for five years is just galling.

It just makes me really sad, not just for me but for all long-distance couples. Angry letters to MPs imminent...

You've hit the nail on the head with my reason for posting this information.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've read Brits write "If it doesn't work out in the US, we'll just move back to the UK". My advise now would be to strongly re-think that logic. You better be sure you are willing to tough it out in the US for a while. Your country is not going to make it easy for you to bring your foreign spouse home with you.

You've hit the nail on the head with my reason for posting this information.

I can't tell you the number of times that I've read Brits write "If it doesn't work out in the US, we'll just move back to the UK". My advise now would be to strongly re-think that logic. You better be sure you are willing to tough it out in the US for a while. Your country is not going to make it easy for you to bring your foreign spouse home with you.

Yes, quite. Thanks indeed for posting.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yes they do. You really should try learning about this subject before you try and argue about it. :bonk:

So a Russian can just turn up and take advantage of NHS etc?

It does not really matter, this has been coming for a long time, it would have been much better if it had been done 30 years ago and then the numbers would have been much much smaller.

If there was some way of not including natives, then that would make much more sense, we have been swept up in the consequences of past decades.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It does not really matter, this has been coming for a long time, it would have been much better if it had been done 30 years ago and then the numbers would have been much much smaller.

If there was some way of not including natives, then that would make much more sense, we have been swept up in the consequences of past decades.

There are no FSU countries in the EEA and you know it.

Fiddle dee dee.

This is nothing but a political ploy. The Coalition promised to reduce migration by "tens of thousands". They simply can't do that as long as there is free movement in the EU. So they go after non-EEA migrants. When it doesn't help them hit their target, they will say "at least we tried".

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are talking about European nationals who are settled in the UK, I know you don't like reading but at least skim my replies before posting your ridiculous retorts.

I hope this is some poor attempt at trolling.

Timeline

?

I never said there were?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Actually you did. :bonk:

You might be the worst troll I've ever encountered :devil:

Where?

Read perhaps you might understand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.