9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes, you should go ahead and have the middle name corrected. You can schedule an infopass for your wife so she can get the I551 (is that the right number) stamp in her passport. That works just like the greencard. Good luck.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: Timeline

You need to file form I-90 to get the card corrected.... read the instructions for filing because of an error... there is no fee to pay, but it takes months to get a new one..

Infopass and ask for the I-155 stamp is the way to go...

Kezzie

Thanks for the replies!

But now she is worried about her country (Russia) not recognizing the I-155 stamp on her return to USA. Is anyone familiar with a case where this has been a problem?

She will be leaving in December; would it be wiser to wait until she returns (January) to file the I-90? Or is it more important that we file as soon as possible?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
You need to file form I-90 to get the card corrected.... read the instructions for filing because of an error... there is no fee to pay, but it takes months to get a new one..

Infopass and ask for the I-155 stamp is the way to go...

Kezzie

The stamp you need is the I-551. Not I-155. We filed immediately after we noticed the mistake. So far, we are still waiting Going on 3 months. If you had an interview they may have put this stamp in your passport already. The person who did our interview did this without being asked so it may be a standard practice. If you received your GC without an interview you will have to schedule an infopass to get the stamp. Do you want to take the chance of some agent giving you grief when you return because there is a mistake. Yes, not likely, but why take the chance.

Rich

08.15.2005 Mailed I-129F USPS

01.11.2006 P.O.E Seattle. Welcome to the U.S.A.

02.10.2006 Married

AOS Journey

03.27.2006 I-485 Mailed

08.21.2006 Green Card Arrivesl

11.19.2006 Emma is born

Removing Conditions

07.07.2008 I-751 Mailed

04.30.2009 Date of Decision: Approved

05.14.2010 Lilly is born

Citizenship: The Final Chapter

10.26.2010 N-400 Mailed

11.02.2010 NOA

11.05.2010 Biometrics Letter

11.10.2010 Biometrics Completed (walk-in)

04.13.2011 Interview

04.13.2011 Oath

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

No, you don't neccessarily get the stamp. I didn't get mine and I went to an interview. Russia doesn't care whether she has the stamp or not, it is important at the US immigration and they will definetely recognize their stamps. Also, take the marriage licence the approval notice etc. with you so you can - just in case - show proof that you are married and also approved for a greencard but received the stamp due to a mistake.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

• 3 years later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi the same thing has happened to my wife. Received Green card with a mistake on the middle initial. I understand that we need to submit the I90. I am concerned with it taking many month. I have no idea what the infopass and the 551 stamp are can someone explain. We received the Green card with out an interview. Also we would like to travel in November and less than 8 weeks away. What is the most expeditious thing to do?

Hi the same thing has happened to my wife. Received Green card with a mistake on the middle initial. I understand that we need to submit the I90. I am concerned with it taking many month. I have no idea what the infopass and the 551 stamp are can someone explain. We received the Green card with out an interview. Also we would like to travel in November and less than 8 weeks away. What is the most expeditious thing to do?

File I-90 (NO FEE), once you received receipt (NOA), take that to the infopass appt in the USCIS office closest to you and ask for the I-551 stamp.

Infopass: http://infopass.uscis.gov/

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nobody in the Russian government has to recognize the I-551 stamp. The only people who need to recognize it are the airline personnel at check-in on your return trip [since they will not let you board a return flight to the US unless you have some documented proof of permission to be admitted to the US (US citizenship, permanent residence, tourist visa, VWP country citizenship, etc)] and the CBP officers at the destination airport in the US.

I assure you, both of these groups of people will know exactly what an I-551 stamp is, and how it works exactly like a GC, documenting and proving your permanent residence status.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.