naksah

N-400 JUNE 2012 Filers

1,467 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One thing I forgot to mention... but it warmed my heart. When I had my interview, there was an older lady from India there too. She had her interview before me, and when she came out, she was so happy I thought she was going to burst (or dance!) I remember smiling at her. To see someone in her later years of life make such a big life-change - I don't know, it was just "a moment".

I saw her at the Oath Ceremony too. I didn't see her after I was seated - she was somewhere behind me and I lost track of her, but somehow I felt kind of privileged to be a remote part of her big day.

Funny the little things that matter. She doesn't know who I am from anybody, but it was fun to be "a fly on the wall" for her big day too.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hi guys.. I have a quick question and i would really appreciate if some one knows the answer and let me know

Do immigrations officers review your n 400 case before the interview? Or do they wait till the interview to review the case and ask for evidence..

Timeline

Wow, William - when did you apply?

My priority date june 13, 2012 ... I am a female ... Interview was done on dec 12,12 but the IO requested evidence which i sent over a month ago but still waiting for decision

Timeline

Wow i guess i am the only one left .. Not good

My wife just had her interview a couple weeks ago, and was approved. The status online changed that they sent her a date for the oath, which I hope we have in a couple of days.

I thought we were going to be the last ones out of June.

Have you called to check that they received the information?

Timeline

My wife just had her interview a couple weeks ago, and was approved. The status online changed that they sent her a date for the oath, which I hope we have in a couple of days.

I thought we were going to be the last ones out of June.

Have you called to check that they received the information?

Yes i did.. The 2 tier officer couldn't tell from his system if they received the requested evidence at the local office or not but he said to call after 90 days from the interview if nothing happened..i am so worried...i guess i will be the last one here to get my citizenship

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys.. I have a quick question and i would really appreciate if some one knows the answer and let me know

Do immigrations officers review your n 400 case before the interview? Or do they wait till the interview to review the case and ask for evidence..

Does it matter if immigration officers review N-400 before the interview or at the interview?? Most officers review applications at the time of interview because they are so busy in handling cases from morning to evening. And very few officers review applications ahead of interview. Nevertheless, each file/application contains a interim report which is prepared by different department as to what is the case about (pretty much history of the case) and what documents are in the file and what should be asked for. This report is made while applications are being processed at different stage, and the it does help the adjudication officer and anyone who would ever reopen the case. The short answer to your question is- most officers don't review an application before the interview.

Timeline

Does it matter if immigration officers review N-400 before the interview or at the interview?? Most officers review applications at the time of interview because they are so busy in handling cases from morning to evening. And very few officers review applications ahead of interview. Nevertheless, each file/application contains a interim report which is prepared by different department as to what is the case about (pretty much history of the case) and what documents are in the file and what should be asked for. This report is made while applications are being processed at different stage, and the it does help the adjudication officer and anyone who would ever reopen the case. The short answer to your question is- most officers don't review an application before the interview.

I think it matters.. Why they didnt ask for evidence before the interview if they werent sure of something.. Or they did review the case before the interview and didnt need anything but it was something that i said or did during the interview that set the officer off.. Thats why i am confused.. The officer didnt seem to know my full story during the interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That stinks.

I got lucky... I brought copies of my marriage certificate and divorce decree. I was married 10+ years to a Canadian when we moved here. Divorced in 2005 (I was here since 2000 and unconditional GC since 2003). USCIS had a copy of my marriage certificate from when we came here, but in the interview, asked for a copy of the divorce decree. Not even the yellow letter asked for that.

I had it, she copied it, end of story.

Not exactly chuffed that my Certificate of Naturalization has DIVORCED plastered on it... but oh well ;)

Timeline

That stinks.

I got lucky... I brought copies of my marriage certificate and divorce decree. I was married 10+ years to a Canadian when we moved here. Divorced in 2005 (I was here since 2000 and unconditional GC since 2003). USCIS had a copy of my marriage certificate from when we came here, but in the interview, asked for a copy of the divorce decree. Not even the yellow letter asked for that.

I had it, she copied it, end of story.

Not exactly chuffed that my Certificate of Naturalization has DIVORCED plastered on it... but oh well ;)

I already sent divorce papers with my n400 but the officer requested a copy of the divorce petition couple days after interview by mail.. i wonder why ..nobody ever asked me for that ..well i got my conditional green card through marriage but i removed condition after the divorce and they were aware of the divorce at that time but they still approved my 10 years green card.. So why now they need the petition for divorce.. Doesn't make sense

I already sent divorce papers with my n400 but the officer requested a copy of the divorce petition couple days after interview by mail.. i wonder why ..nobody ever asked me for that ..well i got my conditional green card through marriage but i removed condition after the divorce and they were aware of the divorce at that time but they still approved my 10 years green card.. So why now they need the petition for divorce.. Doesn't make sense

I think you either have no knowledge whatsoever as to how USCIS process applications/petitions or you are just confused based on your own opinions. Let me clear you many things here. Each application/petition is handled/adjudicated based on its own merit. That's why USCIS does ask for the copy of green card even though they are the one that issued to applicants and have full record in their system. Similarly, they ask for many documents, such as divorce decree, birth certificate and many more, which were previously submitted by applicants to USCIS on different applications/petitions such as I-130, I-485, I-765, etc....So even though all these applications/petitions are filed with USCIS and they are the one handled all these ones and have full record of it, yet still they ask to submit the same document again with new application/petition. Why? Because each application/petition is adjudicated based on its own merit.

Secondly, you should also know that most often USCIS does lose documents (and many times even the whole file/application) even though how tightly applicants attach all those forms/documents altogether. Why? Because applications go into many hands and between many different departments during the processing. Each department/section has its own job which you don't want to know it at this time. And during all these processing, papers/documents/forms must need to be separated or untangled so that each and every document could be scanned as well as put it in the manual file. USCIS doesn't keep the papers/documents/forms/applications in the file as you might think of; rather they have to make two holes in the top of each paper to keep it in the file. Also, they need to scan each paper as well. And if you see the desktop of these workers then you would know how messy they are. That's why it's a high percentage of losing papers which is why sometimes adjudication officers do ask for those documents which were already submitted with the applications. And on many times, officers just overlook those documents to find it in the file/application. I hope it does make sense to you now.

I think it matters.. Why they didnt ask for evidence before the interview if they werent sure of something.. Or they did review the case before the interview and didnt need anything but it was something that i said or did during the interview that set the officer off.. Thats why i am confused.. The officer didnt seem to know my full story during the interview

You can make anything matter to you but its not anyone's concern. As I said earlier that officers normally don't review applications before the interview, in 98% of the times, but there are two percent of officers who do review applications before the interview. When I talk about these two percentage of officers who review application prior to the interview then I'm talking about them reviewing the application just a few minutes ago the interview or that day or a day before which is obviously not enough time to send out mail in demanding missing/requested documents. They certainly don't review an application a week prior to interview so to say that they should send out the request ahead of time.

Officers don't need to know the whole story of any applicant; rather the relating information concerning to the application. Sometimes demeanor of an applicant at the interview MAY affect the outcome of the interview which is same like you are going to an interview for a job. If someone is so nervous, gives not clear answer, looks fishy then obviously officers have every right to make further inquiry into information. That's why personal interview is required for N-400 and even for green card interviews on cases based on marriage; otherwise USCIS could have made a decision based on documents submitted alone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.