naksah

N-400 JUNE 2012 Filers

1,467 posts in this topic

Kiwanna it is nice you are stepping by the forum. Thank you, you are an old citizen

How does your life is different now Kiwanna?

Tell us how is been like to be a citizen since almost two months.

Hi coloso

Last Monday i went to the social security office and changed my status to american citizen. The waiting room was full and had to wait outside by the restrooms and elevator until my number was called lol! But once my number was called, It only took around 2 minutes for the man to update my details (I showed my citizenship certificate and drivers licence) and yesterday i received my new social security card in the mail.

Also last week i applied for a US passport at the post office.. I was a bit reluctant to part with my new Citizenship certificate!! The man stapled it to my application form! I was horrified that he punched a hole in it! I really hope the certificate is sent back to me ok and doesn't get lost in the mail..... Not sure how long one has to wait to receive a new passport.

Apart from that , my life isn't really that much different now i am a citizen.. :) Its really a good feeling though to know that the visa journey is over now.... I really hope that others still waiting will have results very very soon!

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The man stapled it to my application form! I was horrified that he punched a hole in it! I really hope the certificate is sent back to me ok and doesn't get lost in the mail..... Not sure how long one has to wait to receive a new passport.

Oh, this paper is a jewelry for us, not for them :) I would be horrified too.

As I've heard, the passport processing time can be different depending of the area and the season, but I know for sure, your passport and certificate will arrive in separated envelopes, may be not in one day - this is a good think to know.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congratulations Adrian :)

As far as the passport, you can't really predict.

I applied for it and requested routine service and received it in 10 days (inclung shipping and receiving times). Some recevied it within a week with routine service.

In my opinion, don't waste your time to expedite since as you see their routine service is almost the same.

The longest waiting I have seen was 3 weeks.

You can track the passport application status at http://travel.state.gov/passport/status/status_2567.html

Your case typically will change twice, one time to say it was received and being processed (your might be OR about to be in this step).

2: that the passport is being finalized (this is where it get send to you actually)

You will receive the certificate in a separate envlope 3-5 days after you get the passport.

YA ALAH Bless Our Joureny To The End , Ameen

Je T'aime Till My Dying Day

Filed: Timeline

what the steps to take after the certificate?

I know about going to the social security office, Motor vihicle and get a passport.

what are the steps to get a passport and how long does it takes?

Also how much does it cost?

Do I have to update my jobs or job about it?

Edited by coloso

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

what the steps to take after the certificate?

I know about going to the social security office, Motor vihicle and get a passport.

what are the steps to get a passport and how long does it takes?

Also how much does it cost?

Do I have to update my jobs or job about it?

Make a trip to the S.S. Office & DMV after about a week's lapse in order to avoid revisits. These offices need to verify your status and USCIS data isn't updated immediately. For the passport, you need to visit participating Post offices(You'll find plenty around you) for normal delivery and designated passport offices for Urgent. Approx. fee for a normal passort is around $130 and if you add the passport card, it costs about $155. This fee is based on my last experience for my daughter a few years ago. The fee would not have changed much since then. Do take your Naturalization certificate when applying for a passport as they will keep that. Your passport and Naturalization certificates will arrive seperately in the mail. Most offices offer to have your pictures taken at the facility, but if convenient, take 2 passport picture with you. The forms are available at these offices free of cost or can be downloaded online. I would suggest, apply for normal delivery as even though they say it takes 4 to 6 weeks, the passport usually arrives in 10 days. It is recommended to update your status change with your employer.

IR5 For Parent

thank you Pathan very helpful.. Hoping your interview comes soon, Just hold tied I waited and waited and when I thought it was going to come a month passed and nothing just keep waiting and try to bypass a SR as how ever you can. Remember I did my SR before the 5 months processing time like two months before the processing time by just insisting hope that helps.

Thank you no_where_man for the link to the passport application status site.. I had no idea that you could track it.. It says it is being processed :)

You are right Mayliana72 about the certificate being precious and like jewelry to us. Before i headed to the post office to apply for passport, i picked my certificate up delicately (it is housed in the white cardboard folder they give you at the oath ceremony) and placed it gently on the seat of the car to make sure it didn't get bent or anything. So the expression of horror on my face when he stapled it to the application form must have been priceless to see lol!!

coloso.: Every time i have changed status with immigration i have always notified my employer about the changes. (renewing green card, receiving one year extension on green card etc) And will do so once i receive my certificate back from passport office or show passport to prove i am US citizen. I'm not sure if you have to do this but i do :star:

The post offices may charge different fees in different areas or states but i had to write two separate checks when i applied for mine. One check was for $110 and the other one was for $40. (I had my passport photo taken at the post office, so it was $15 for the photo and $25 administration fees). They would only accept checks or money orders, it seems.

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I'm back in the U.S. of A. Nothing was in the snail mail, still no change in online status :( Was hoping for a pleasant surprise in the huge stack of mail, but no such luck.

152 days since filing, 149 since my priority date. I'll give it another week, earlier I'd speculated that something might give around the first week of December. If nothing by then, I'll see about a service request, since I'll be well outside of normal processing times by then. Here I thought I'd be all done by the end of the year. I made a funny ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Well, I'm back in the U.S. of A. Nothing was in the snail mail, still no change in online status :( Was hoping for a pleasant surprise in the huge stack of mail, but no such luck.

152 days since filing, 149 since my priority date. I'll give it another week, earlier I'd speculated that something might give around the first week of December. If nothing by then, I'll see about a service request, since I'll be well outside of normal processing times by then. Here I thought I'd be all done by the end of the year. I made a funny ;)

I believe you will get interview scheduled message in early December, and MamaSue will get hers by December 15.

I believe you will get interview scheduled message in early December, and MamaSue will get hers by December 15.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Grashoppr. I don't know how and why, but when I try to do e-request, it pushes my process. I did it when I waited for the interview scheduling - they didn't accept my request, by next day I have a message about interview letter (then it arrived in a few days). I had my interview 4 weeks ago and start to worry - where is the Oath letter? I tried to make e-request yesterday, and today I got a message: I scheduled for the Oath! I know, it doesn't have any sense, but why not assume some magic? :innocent: Go to USCIS site and try it, make e-request even if they will not let you finish. I feel like somehow it touches the case. Good luck!

Timeline

I tried to do an e-request a while back before I did the infopass, but after I'd been 90+ days in line and the system wouldn't put it through because I was in normal processing time. By the end of next week, if nothing happens, I'll be outside of normal processing time so I'll try it again then. December 2nd is 5 calendar months from my priority date. I'm at 149 days right now from my priority date. If I give it til the end of next week then I'm a few days over the 5 months so the electronic system should put it through, but hopefully something will give in the interim. I've waited this long, one more week won't hurt at this point.

Mayliana That's what I am telling Grasshopper that it pushes the process, They can make you wait for ever believe, Every time I have done a SR it always speed up the process they either answer me within the next week or so after waiting for months and months.....

Grasshopper you hurting yourself, you just have to insist You already way pass the 5 months processing time it was due November 22 come on man... that letter they sent you to wait for 90 days again no way you are going to way another 90 days... O well you decide I don't like waiting just call them they might do it for you I know for sure..... but you still insisting you don't want to try every other day... O well.

You have to call, if you call the representative then you tell them you are over processing time and they will immediately transfer you to a tier 2.

Edited by coloso

Timeline

Coloso, I know you mean well... but I've checked my timeline carefully. I tried to open a Service Request online at the end of October but not enough time had passed and the system wouldn't let me open it. Calls to the 800 number weren't any help - so I did the Infopass at the end of Oct. so I'd remain "legal" even if the GC expired.

Right now, other than my own impatience, there's no emergency. It's just my own impatience. They won't keep me waiting "forever", and my wait is not any worse than the majority of filers in Atlanta, although a few have gone through quickly either because of a military affiliation, or I guess, just plain good fortune. If I was the only one who filed around the same time that wasn't done, I'd be more concerned. MamaSue filed a few days after me (she's in the July tracker) and there are some more in the June tracker here in ATL that haven't posted any updates, and they filed a bit before me. So it just is what it is for this particular DO. Throw in Thanksgiving and upcoming Christmas holidays, who knows how that will slow things down more?

Once my 5 calendar months have passed I can probably be successful in initiating an E-Request. No sense trying sooner, I did that and it wouldn't take it because the 5 months hadn't expired yet. Repeating that is just a waste of time now. Besides, with my luck, I'll hit the panic button with all that and the IL will come in the mail without an online status update or text/email :lol: That's usually how it happens!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.