ezzie

Son Starting College in US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure where to post, but here's our background first, and then my question to VJ'ers..Hope you guys can help me and my son.

My 16 year old son recently came from P.I., has just graduated HS.

I am a naturalized USC, so I will be filing for my son's N600, we're just waiting for his GC in the mail so I can file the N600; this means he will be USC soon.

My question:

Can someone help shed light as to how to go about college in CA, considering his circumstance? Some might say I can just Google it, but VJ experiences/recoms are far better ( in so far as to our journey for several years, it has been proven)

Some friends have been telling me we will need to pay $2000 plus /unit for a year.

Someone in VJ, or someone you guys know, might have been in this situation. Please help.

Thanks a lot!

ezzie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Get his high school transcript and have him go take the SAT/ACT test which ever one the college he wants to attend asks for. Some community colleges have their own testing they offer also, but the ACT or SAT are usually preferred. Also apply at the school he wants to go to and then log onto the http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ web site and see what type of financial aid he can get. That is pretty much what we did for my older 2 boys, they are starting their 2nd and 3rd years in August.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For colleges under the state umbrella he will pay out of state ( foreign) tuition until he has been resident in Ca for one year and one day. So the 2000 may be correct or low depending on the school. He will also need to take assesment tests in math , reading and english.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pick a college he wants to attend, go and talk to them and see the requirements.

Since he is only 16, nowadays I don't know if Phil HS diploma is equivalent to a US HS diploma so he may have to go high school again (2 more years). As I remember 25 years ago friends that migrated from phil at his age still attended high school with us even though they had HS diploma from Phils.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

He is only 16 since he was accelerated.

I've been hearing about GED, too. Anybody can share?

I've met some USCs (born here) who took GED instead of going to HS.

Why would a high school student go the route of a GED rather than a regular High school. Going the GED route is only good if he does not have the ability to go to a regular high school. Google "GED" read up on it.

FYI... If your son has derivative status from you... You can just apply for a US passport... The N600 is really just for you,,,

for me I think the n600 is a waste of money and takes longer,,, cause you will need a passport anyway, Note: The US passport

will always prove US citizenship.

regards,

dc

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why would a high school student go the route of a GED rather than a regular High school. Going the GED route is only good if he does not have the ability to go to a regular high school. Google "GED" read up on it.

Agreed! you don't want to do the GED!!

Filed: Other Timeline

I lived in California from 2007 to 2010. In 2009, I began taking English 101 prerequisites. My tuition fee was lower because I was a California resident, whereas the other American citizens or students who just came in my college, or in California paid a lot more, out-of-state tuition fee. (Higher education pays more when contrasted to undergraduate levels). They didn't move in California for work related or any other exemptions, so they paid out-of-state tuition fees. I thought, it was so interesting, and very strange. I investigated about this because in my mind "Why would an American citizen pays a tuition as an International Student?". Everything they have told me was absolutely right. In fact, I had the same experienced like those out-of-state student(s) in California I mentioned earlier.

The out-of-state tuition made me missed a semester. In short, I didn't wait for my residency requirements, so I went ahead and admitted myself in an institution in Nevada.

Search a college in your area, and see their residency requirements.

Edited by Kigle

Life is not a granting factory, according to my colleague.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you for your reply.

That's precisely why I ask here, to get inputs. I said on my post that I could probably Google stuff, but I want opinion of VJ'ers.

I lived in California from 2007 to 2010. In 2009, I began taking English 101 prerequisites. My tuition fee was lower because I was a California resident, whereas the other American citizens or students who just came in my college, or in California paid a lot more, out-of-state tuition fee. (Higher education pays more when contrasted to undergraduate levels). They didn't move in California for work related or any other exemptions, so they paid out-of-state tuition fees. I thought, it was so interesting, and very strange. I investigated about this because in my mind "Why would an American citizen pays a tuition as an International Student?". Everything they have told me was absolutely right. In fact, I had the same experienced like those out-of-state student(s) in California I mentioned earlier.

The out-of-state tuition made me missed a semester. In short, I didn't wait for my residency requirements, so I went ahead and admitted myself in an institution in Nevada.

Search a college in your area, and see their residency requirements.

Thank you so much for sharing.

ezzie

Agreed! you don't want to do the GED!!

Thanks!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.