Marie & Dan

Immigration lawyer for k1

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I had confidence in my immigration lawyer to get the k1, she was helpful, answered my questions and seemed honest... BUT, I wanted to see in this site what people said about them and now i feel completely stressed, Ive read they could make it slower, and it would be worse...

So now, I would need opinions of people who worked with an attorney to tell me better news.

I don't need to know about their bad sides anymore, ive already read all and I feel enough bad, please let me know ONLY if you had a good experience.I just want to know if it exist!Lol.

Thank you very much.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I see no problem in using a visa service if it gives the couple peace of mind. But the visa services really use scare tactics to try and make people believe it's too hard, too risky, for them to do it on their own. I wouldn't say the process was easy, my fiancé and I even had some difficult things to deal with. She had lived in both Thailand and Kuwait in addition to being from the Philippines, so that was the source of some stress trying to figure out how to deal with that (particularly the Police Reports). I did talk to two lawyers. One of them basically said for the money she would guide my fiancé through the interview process. That proved very unnecessary. If you and your fiancé really know each other, don't fear the interview at all! They're going to ask very basic questions, and if you are truly in a relationship, you would have no problem with them. There are also plenty of examples here of the kinds of questions they ask.

The second lawyer, who I liked a lot, said 'Don't Hire Me'. He spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me for free, answering my question about Police Reports, but said that even if I hired him, I was going to have to do all the hard work, and gathering of all the information. At best he could look over the forms and check over the package. But even in his mind, an organized person should be able to handle all of this easily.

So I would say again, be careful of the visa agencies that try to pressure you into 'needing' their help. You don't need it. I was scared, and almost used them at first too, especially when you go to their website and read "90% of all applications are denied, you must use us, 100% guarantee or your money back!"

Hogwash.

If anything, I would say find a decent lawyer, and pay them for one hour of their time to look over your application when you're done with it, if you're really scared.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

I hired an attorney to handle our VISA procedures as I a was afraid I would miss something. I have been very pleased with him so far. It actually isn't a that hard a process but there is a lot involved. Missing one thing could delay you by weeks if not months. I didn't want to take that chance. After I got all the information he requested, he sent it ALL within a couple of days. It costs a little more, but the peace of mind was worth it for us.

I will tell the reason I chose him over other attorneys. First, I am in Afghanistan right now working with the military. My attorney allows me and/or my fiancee (who is in Macedonia) to Skype with him for any meetings or questions that may come up. That is SO convenient for all of us. Second, and most importantly, he did not make me pay the entire fee up front. He allows me to pay by the month. He said "I feel it is less stress on my clients financially. Not to mention that if you stop paying, I stop working. And if I stop working...YOU stop paying. It is only fair".

I hired him right away! :)

Our Journey:

10/02/2011: Met while working in Afghanistan
10/15/2011: First "date"
01/03/2012: Hired an attorney to file our K-1
02/05/2012: He returned to Macedonia
02/29/2012: My first visit to Skopje
03/03/2012: Met my future family
03/15/2012: I-129F package mailed / returned to Afghanistan
03/19/2012: Received notification of arrival of I-129F
03/21/2012: NOA1 mailed
07/15/2012: 2nd trip to Skopje
09/20/2012: NOA2 notice
10/05/2012: Attorney Received Case number from NVC
10/25/2012: Received packet 3 ( the same time I left on my flight back to the US)
11/06/2012: Medical Scheduled
11/15/2012: Interview - Denied due to "lack of proof of relationship"
11/27/2012; 2nd Interview scheduled - APPROVED!
11/29/2012: VISA IN HAND!
11/30/2012: POE NYC-JFK
12/12/2012: WEDDING!!!

02/26/2013: I-485 Filed

09/10/2013: Green card received NO INTERVIEW!!!!

Timeline

Ok, you all make me feel more relax. I know we did not absolutely need one...But my fiancé wanted to hire one. And now that I know how Dan is bad with paperworks, I don't have any regrets haha.He often make mistakes when he fill papers, and I can't judge if there are mistakes or not.

I was just afraid about them being slow as people say, but I don't understand what they can do to make it slower.

We sent a 1st package and the attorney told us we didnt put enough pics/mail, So maybe we would have got a RFE because of that!

Timeline

And I wanted to add... their website isn't full of promises, the only words that are use to catch your attention are :"Do you need help filing a visa application for your fiancé or fiancée?"

And the rest of the page about visa K1 is just information about the process.

My fiancé did decide himself to contact them, but they never insisted, I think we got a good and honest one.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was just afraid about them being slow as people say, but I don't understand what they can do to make it slower.

We sent a 1st package and the attorney told us we didnt put enough pics/mail, So maybe we would have got a RFE because of that!

From my understanding:

Slower in terms of you add an extra person and step to everything for one, like a middle man when you can go straight to the supplier. Secondly there is no gauruntee they will file your paperwork on time or that even they won't make a mistake anyway (they are human); I think personally an attorney is more likely to make a mistake when dealing with personal information because they don't know either of you personally and therefore may not notice a mistake or inconsistancy.

In terms of pictures and an RFE, we sent 5, people have sent less, most send more, but my question would be " if your attorney thought you might get an RFE for lack of pics why would they send off the seemingly incomplete petition?"

It is great that you are happy with your choice, if it is the right one for you. Personally Daniel and I saved the money and it's going towards another house.

Good luck!

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

Ok, I understand for the "slow" part. But in the story, my boyfriend was the slowest. It takes months to make him fill or get paperworks, so I don't regret my choice.From here I can't make it faster. But anyway.... It's too late, my boyfriend already hired her! So for people who would advice me to stop with lawyer, there is no use, I will just stop working with her once we get the visa.

For the RFE, I was thinking that maybe if we wouldnt have the lawyer to tell us our mistakes, maybe we would have got a RFE, Ok maybe I will still get one, but I hope not, of course there is no guarantee, it's like seeing a doctor, you can't guarantee that you will feel better (BTW im wondering if I'll be able to see a doctor in USA..lol)

Thank you for your response Britt

Edited by Marie & Dan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't understand how an attorney can "slow things down". We hired one, and so far- we are extremely happy with him. It takes about 5 minutes to send an email to him with everything he requires. He then prints everything up and mails it- the very next day. For original copies, I overnight a package to him so that he can receive it the next day. I don't really see how that slows anything down.

Our attorney is quick to answer our emails and calls, and has provided us with MUCH information and guidance. I couldn't find one place here in Montreal that would translate my birth certificate to English in a timely manner, and he did it in a few days. So he actually SAVED me time.

Although I think that VJ can provide just as much information and guidance, I feel reassured knowing that if i have a question, I can speak to a professional who does this as his job. I feel bad for anyone who has had a bad experience with a lawyer- but there are ways to see their rating and standings to see if they are reliable or not- a little research can save you from hiring someone who is not qualified.

Also, keep in mind that although the procedure can be fairly simple- it is time consuming to put together the package. And as my fiance and I both work extremely long days, it was just simpler to open our emails, print out the requested forms, sign them and scan them back to him.

Although there is a chance that he may make a mistake because he is human, it is far less likely that he would make one because he's done this hundreds of times compared to us only having done this one time.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, I understand for the "slow" part. But in the story, my boyfriend was the slowest. It takes months to make him fill or get paperworks, so I don't regret my choice.From here I can't make it faster. But anyway.... It's too late, my boyfriend already hired her! So for people who would advice me to stop with lawyer, there is no use, I will just stop working with her once we get the visa.

For the RFE, I was thinking that maybe if we wouldnt have the lawyer to tell us our mistakes, maybe we would have got a RFE, Ok maybe I will still get one, but I hope not, of course there is no guarantee, it's like seeing a doctor, you can't guarantee that you will feel better (BTW im wondering if I'll be able to see a doctor in USA..lol)

Thank you for your response Britt

You're welcome for the assistance. I am still wondering why your lawyer sent your petition and then told you, you will probably get an RFE for lack of photos... seems like she could have told you beforehand!

And the choice is of course yours, whether or not a couple uses an attorney. Some people see benefit some do not. This is supposedly DIY process.

In terms of the doctor, of course you can see one, you have to find one that will see and you and you will have to pay out of pocket unless you have gotten medical insurance in the US (through your husband's job, your own job or independently).

Good luck with everything :blush:

I don't understand how an attorney can "slow things down". We hired one, and so far- we are extremely happy with him. It takes about 5 minutes to send an email to him with everything he requires. He then prints everything up and mails it- the very next day. For original copies, I overnight a package to him so that he can receive it the next day. I don't really see how that slows anything down.

Our attorney is quick to answer our emails and calls, and has provided us with MUCH information and guidance. I couldn't find one place here in Montreal that would translate my birth certificate to English in a timely manner, and he did it in a few days. So he actually SAVED me time.

Although I think that VJ can provide just as much information and guidance, I feel reassured knowing that if i have a question, I can speak to a professional who does this as his job. I feel bad for anyone who has had a bad experience with a lawyer- but there are ways to see their rating and standings to see if they are reliable or not- a little research can save you from hiring someone who is not qualified.

Also, keep in mind that although the procedure can be fairly simple- it is time consuming to put together the package. And as my fiance and I both work extremely long days, it was just simpler to open our emails, print out the requested forms, sign them and scan them back to him.

Although there is a chance that he may make a mistake because he is human, it is far less likely that he would make one because he's done this hundreds of times compared to us only having done this one time.

I disagree with a few things you said (petition time consuming, attorney less likely to make mistakes), but each to his or her own.

If you are using a lawyer or not, you may get an RFE, you may be denied or you may get super lucky and be approved early.

This is a DIY process and it is "relatively" simple and VJ generally has any and all answers to any visa questions.

Ultimately though, the decision is yours alone, you (and your SO) have to live with it either way and whatever makes you the most comfortable is the best option for you and your SO.

Good luck to you also!

Edited by BrittandDan

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline
I am still wondering why your lawyer sent your petition and then told you, you will probably get an RFE for lack of photos... seems like she could have told you beforehand!

Maybe I didn't write in a good way, sorry for my english, but there is a misunderstanding, I didn't say that our lawyer said she sent the pics before, we sent her a package with proofs, she checked it and told Dan that it wasnt enough. Once we sent more pics, she sent the package, knowing that it wouldnt be enough. She didnt send anything until all was perfect.

Ok for the doctor, lol,Im sure the insurance will be expensive, that's the only thing im worried about the USA, and of course missing my family/friends.

Thanks again and good luck Britt

Edited by Marie & Dan

Timeline

You're right, and mine do the same, and everytime that I mail her, she answers in less than a hour! Thank you for your post, I appreciate to know about people who hired lawyer like us, that is why I started this topic, you make me feel more relax!

Hi everybody,

I had confidence in my immigration lawyer to get the k1, she was helpful, answered my questions and seemed honest... BUT, I wanted to see in this site what people said about them and now i feel completely stressed, Ive read they could make it slower, and it would be worse...

So now, I would need opinions of people who worked with an attorney to tell me better news.

I don't need to know about their bad sides anymore, ive already read all and I feel enough bad, please let me know ONLY if you had a good experience.I just want to know if it exist!Lol.

Thank you very much.

Hello,

We started our K1 process with an attorney, the papers were in order, the only thing is that they charge a lot of money to do something that Also we could do it, but we did not know before :wacko: , but now decided to continue our process without a lawyer and save money :thumbs: .

God Bless!

Glory To God,thank you sweet Lord.

Noa1:july 2011

Rfe:december 2011

Noa2:may 2012

Interview:september 2012:Aprobado.

Timeline

Hello,

We started our K1 process with an attorney, the papers were in order, the only thing is that they charge a lot of money to do something that Also we could do it, but we did not know before :wacko: , but now decided to continue our process without a lawyer and save money :thumbs: .

God Bless!

Cool if the papers were in order, that is the most important, but I think your lawyer could have told you about the fees, ours told all the fees before we started! Congratulations for the NOA2!!!

I had a lawyer and I am very happy I had them. Everything went smoothly with no problems.

Thanks, feel so much better :)

Edited by Marie & Dan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.