49 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Part 1: Your father is the only joint sponsor. That is correct. He should put down D and you will put A on your form.

Part 3: Answer yes. Correct. You will answer the same on your form.

Part 4: That only applies to the petitioner(you).

Part 6: Do not check 24D. That is only if your father is combining his income with someone else in the household to meet the poverty guideline. For instance if your mother also needed to combine her income to meet the poverty guideline.

Please make sure that for your household you meet the guidelines. If your mother is in the home and you are the dependent as well as your sibling there will be a total of 5 household members. Poverty guideline would be $40,515 (if you dont live in Hawaii or Alaska). Make sure your father includes his tax return and W-2( or tax transcript ffrom IRS), copy of birth certificate or passport, 3 recent pay stubs, letter of employment. Previous two years are optional but if you feel those will provide further evidence to meet the guidelines go ahead. Can't hurt. Let me know if you have any other questions or clarification.

THANKS A LOT FOR HELPING ME OUT :) SORRY about Caps!

Hii,,,

for part 6:

a. his income is 28XXXX.00

b. wife: income is 11,XXX.00

c= 40,XXX.00

i know together combining its 40,XXX.00

according to poverty guidelines: i just checkedon http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf it's $33,762 for household of 5* for considering 125%

he can give proof of citizenship right, he is the president of the company ,im not sure as of wht he needs to proof for that..i will let him take care of that.

-- my dad also added assets of 50,000.. i just read on ***removed*** that if we meet poverty guideline its optional to fill

they're together filing the tax and not dependent so i dont think she needs to fill i864a

im going crazy :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hii,,,

for part 6:

c= 40,XXX.00

according to poverty guidelines: i just checkedon http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf it's $33,762 for household of 5* for considering 125%

he can give proof of citizenship right, he is the president of the company ,im not sure as of wht he needs to proof for that..i will let him take care of that.

-- my dad also added assets of 50,000.. i just read on ***removed*** that if we meet poverty guideline its optional to fill

they're together filing the tax and not dependent so i dont think she needs to fill i864a

Edited by HeartinCuba

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Sorry I was looking at the wrong poverty guidleine sheet. :bonk: I think your father's wife will need to fill out I-864A since you are combining her income with your father's to meet the poverty guideline. The only way around this is for your father to include his assets which you would need to show prrof of.

Proof of citizenship would be his passsport or birth certificate.

Not sure about the employment letter since he owns the company. Sorry I'm at a lost on that one.

Again I'm not sure what to do about the I-864A in regard to his wife. maybe you're right since both their incomes are in one tax return. You will have to decide for yourself.

Hii,,,

for part 6:

c= 40,XXX.00

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hii,,,

for part 6:

c= 40,XXX.00

If your parents are going to combine their incomes to meet the 125% requirement, then your dad fills out the I-864 and your mom needs to fill out an I-864A to combine her income with his. Read through the I-864 and I-864A instructions.

They need to put their individual incomes from the last 3 years tax returns(not the joint amount from their combined income on their taxes) on their forms and they need to provide their most recent 2011 tax transcript, or a complete copy of their return that includes all forms, schedules, attachments, W-2s and/or 1099s. They also need a letter from their employer stating position and salary and a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs. They can provide a copy of their birth certificates or the bio pages from their US passports to prove citizenship.

You need to provide your own I-864 as the primary sponsor, and if you did not file taxes because you were a student and had no income, then you need to write a statement explaining that is why you were not legally required to file. On #25, put N/A-NOT REQUIRED TO FILE for the years you did not file taxes.

EDITED TO ADD> If your father is self-employed, then his income will be based on line 22 of his 2011 1040.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

It was just the one post Karthi. Thanks Jay-Kay for jumping in to help.

If your parents are going to combine their incomes to meet the 125% requirement, then your dad fills out the I-864 and your mom needs to fill out an I-864A to combine her income with his. Read through the I-864 and I-864A instructions.

They need to put their individual incomes from the last 3 years tax returns(not the joint amount from their combined income on their taxes) on their forms and they need to provide their most recent 2011 tax transcript, or a complete copy of their return that includes all forms, schedules, attachments, W-2s and/or 1099s. They also need a letter from their employer stating position and salary and a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs. They can provide a copy of their birth certificates or the bio pages from their US passports to prove citizenship.

You need to provide your own I-864 as the primary sponsor, and if you did not file taxes because you were a student and had no income, then you need to write a statement explaining that is why you were not legally required to file. On #25, put N/A-NOT REQUIRED TO FILE for the years you did not file taxes.

EDITED TO ADD> If your father is self-employed, then his income will be based on line 22 of his 2011 1040.

event.png

event.png

It was just the one post Karthi. Thanks Jay-Kay for jumping in to help.

thanks guys, much clear on filling i864 part for mom n dad!

couple questions more on my i-864 part:

Part5:

21.a. 01, b: me(1) ..I'm confused on this part.do i need to check G and add my parents since they're sponsoring.

Part6: 22. I m currently Unemployed . i considered it from the next day of my graduation..so i kept that..because i was in college even after my internship.

For 25. Im checking yes because I've my tax income tax return for year 2010

why because?: I worked partime and did internship from jan-aug'2010.. while i was in school and had filed for taxes..of 12k

i didnt file for year 2011 because i graduated in may'11

* im just filling it out as it is so i don't get any problems.

part7: i am adding my assests of 6000 as i've in my savings.

please let me know if im wrong in any part.

Edited by karthi

btw,my dad is saying that they dont've fill in two forms because they've always filed taxes jointly.??? should i be filling in another i864A anyway?

Timeline

thanks guys, much clear on filling i864 part for mom n dad!

couple questions more on my i-864 part:

Part5:

21.a. 01, b: me(1) ..I'm confused on this part.do i need to check G and add my parents since they're sponsoring.

Part6: 22. I m currently Unemployed . i considered it from the next day of my graduation..so i kept that..because i was in college even after my internship.

You check 1 for a and 1 for b. Your household size is 2.

Okay. If you are unemployed, then you mark that and put since when.

For 25. Im checking yes because I've my tax income tax return for year 2010

why because?: I worked partime and did internship from jan-aug'2010.. while i was in school and had filed for taxes..of 12k

i didnt file for year 2011 because i graduated in may'11

* im just filling it out as it is so i don't get any problems.

Okay, for the years you did not file, put N/A-NOT REQUIRED TO FILE, as I already stated. For 2010, put the income amount from your tax return. Write a statement as to why you did not file in 2009 and 2011.

part7: i am adding my assests of 6000 as i've in my savings.

This is not really needed, since you have no income and $6000 in assets is not enough. They will be looking at your parent's forms to be the ones that have enough. If you want to put it anyway, you must document that you have that in savings with a bank letter or bank statements.

please let me know if im wrong in any part.

btw,my dad is saying that they dont've fill in two forms because they've always filed taxes jointly.??? should i be filling in another i864A anyway?

YOU don't fill out an I-864A, your mother does. As I previously stated. If your parents are going to combine their incomes to meet the 125%, then your dad fills out an I-864 and your mom fills out an I-864A. Please read the instructions. I cannot stress this enough. It makes no difference that your parents file taxes jointly. On the I-864, your father will be putting HIS INDIVIDUAL income. On the I-864A, your mother will be putting HER INDIVIDUAL income. They will only need to provide the one joint tax transcript, and their separate W-2s and/or 1099s. Just because your father filed jointly with his wife does not mean he actually earned the full amount. He can only list what he makes on the form. He cannot include his wife's income unless she fills out an I-864A to combine hers with his.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello All,

We are getting ready for my sisters interview 8/3/12. I had previosly submitted the affidavit of support for her as a joint sponsor, my income will no longer meet the requirements at the time of the interview. My boyfriend of 10 years and father of my children (hopefully future husband lol) is willing to do the affidavit of support, he has supported me through bringing my mother and now sister. Should I have him be the second joint sponsor or just have him be the only joint sponsor, I dont think that we can combine mine and his income since we are not married. Also, what will his relationship be to her? I claim the kids, so it would just be his income $36k plus my sister/nephew. What do you think? fyi, we live in same residence. He would be filling out the I-864.

Thanks.

Timeline

Hello All,

We are getting ready for my sisters interview 8/3/12. I had previosly submitted the affidavit of support for her as a joint sponsor, my income will no longer meet the requirements at the time of the interview. My boyfriend of 10 years and father of my children (hopefully future husband lol) is willing to do the affidavit of support, he has supported me through bringing my mother and now sister. Should I have him be the second joint sponsor or just have him be the only joint sponsor, I dont think that we can combine mine and his income since we are not married. Also, what will his relationship be to her? I claim the kids, so it would just be his income $36k plus my sister/nephew. What do you think? fyi, we live in same residence. He would be filling out the I-864.

Thanks.

Have him fill out his own I-864 as the only joint sponsor. Take his I-864 and all his supporting documents with you to the interview. His household size is himself, his children(does not matter who claims them) and anyone else he claims as a dependent on his taxes, plus your sister.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Should I do the same?

Ok. So this means IF you have NO INCOME but have a cosponser it would still get approved becuz the cosponser makes enough. My question is, won't they question how you get money and look at u like a public charge? Im asking nexus i just moved had a job then they messed me over when i got here. I do have a co sponsor and just received my noa2. Just a little worried.

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate :Jamaica

I-130 Sent :2011-12-14

I-130 NOA1 :2011-12-16

I-130 RFE :2012-06-18

I-130 RFE Sent :2012-06-25

I-130 Approved :2012-08-06

NVC Received :2012-08-06

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill :2012-09-06

Pay I-864 Bill 2012-09-06

Receive I-864 Package :2012-09-06

Return Completed I-864 :2012-09-10

Return Completed DS-3032 :2012-09-06

Receive IV Bill :2012-09-20

Pay IV Bill :2012-09-22

Case Completed at NVC :2012-10-04

Packet 4 Received :2012-10-12

Interview Date :2012-11-13

Interview Result :APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hope the OP doesn't mind if I am asking a question on her thread.

My mother-in-law is sponsoring me, we live separately and she has no dependents. Which form does she have to fill, the I-864 or the I-864A?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Timeline

Ok. So this means IF you have NO INCOME but have a cosponser it would still get approved becuz the cosponser makes enough. My question is, won't they question how you get money and look at u like a public charge? Im asking nexus i just moved had a job then they messed me over when i got here. I do have a co sponsor and just received my noa2. Just a little worried.

Yes, it is possible to adjust status if the primary sponsor(petitioner) has no current income at the time of filing for AOS but has a joint sponsor that meets the requirements. Oh, just noticed you posted in an AOS thread but are asking about the K-1 interview it seems. Yes, it is still possible to be approved if the co-sponsor meets the requirements. You will be using the I-134 though, not the I-864, and it will be up to the discretion of the CO.

Hope the OP doesn't mind if I am asking a question on her thread.

My mother-in-law is sponsoring me, we live separately and she has no dependents. Which form does she have to fill, the I-864 or the I-864A?

Your mother-in-law will fill out her own separate I-864.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.