49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I'm the petitioner for my husband. I'm unemployed and do not meet the poverty guidelines. We are living with my father. I will fill out an I-864 but unsure if my father should fill out a I-864A or a I-864. If he fills out an I-864 should I be listed as a dependent? Thanks so much!

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi, Im in the same situation. YOU have to file the I-864 because you are the petitioner, not your father.

And your father should file the I-864A with your I-864 as an additional household sponsor. :) it doesn't matter if your personal finances are zero, your fathers income will be added on your form I-864 as the total household income.

Just follow the instructions for the form I-864, and make sure you attach all the evidence! (for example, tax returns yours and your fathers, proof of US citizenship, proof that you live in the same household like copies of your drivers license, i've read that works, and proof of relationship...proof that he is your father, so a copy of your birth certificate.)

I know its a lot of information to take in, but print the instructions and read it carefully and high light everything that's important in your case :) Good luck!

Timeline

Hi, Im in the same situation. YOU have to file the I-864 because you are the petitioner, not your father.

And your father should file the I-864A with your I-864 as an additional household sponsor. :) it doesn't matter if your personal finances are zero, your fathers income will be added on your form I-864 as the total household income.

Just follow the instructions for the form I-864, and make sure you attach all the evidence! (for example, tax returns yours and your fathers, proof of US citizenship, proof that you live in the same household like copies of your drivers license, i've read that works, and proof of relationship...proof that he is your father, so a copy of your birth certificate.)

I know its a lot of information to take in, but print the instructions and read it carefully and high light everything that's important in your case :) Good luck!

Thanks! I actually was told my father should just fill out an I-864 because I actually have no income to combine with his.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Thanks! I actually was told my father should just fill out an I-864 because I actually have no income to combine with his.

Who told you? :P

I swear to god, I did that! I had my husbands mother fill in my affidavit of support form I-864 because she's at a better financial state then my husband right now, and we all live together in one household. I sent that in 3 weeks ago or so, and I just received a "request for evidence" today that I need to have the petitioner submit the I-864. which is my husband.

I quote from the paper that I got from them :)

"Form I-864 Affidavit of support was submitted; however, it was not from the petitioner/sponsor.

Please submit a complete and signed form I-864 for the petitioner/sponsor listed on form I-130 or form I-129F. Even if a joint sponsor will be used, the petitioner/sponsor must submit for I-864. (the form I-134 is no longer acceptable to use for Adjustment of status). Also provide copies of the petitioner/sponsor's most recent federal income tax returns.

For more specific information, see form I-864 instructions, Page 2, "Who completes and signs form I-864?""

So What im gonna do is exactly what I wrote in the beginning, have my husband file the I-864 (even tho he's been in school for the last 1-2 year and before that was collecting un-employement)and is only NOW starting to work full time. The lady on the phone said it doesn't matter if the income is zero, none, your fathers income will be added in the form I-864 that you file at part 6 item (B)as long as he files a I-864A with it.

I just ###### it up myself by doing that, hehe, so I don't want you to do it as well. If you are the petitioner then you must file the I-864 no matter what.

Good luck :D

Timeline

Who told you? :P

I swear to god, I did that! I had my husbands mother fill in my affidavit of support form I-864 because she's at a better financial state then my husband right now, and we all live together in one household. I sent that in 3 weeks ago or so, and I just received a "request for evidence" today that I need to have the petitioner submit the I-864. which is my husband.

I quote from the paper that I got from them :)

"Form I-864 Affidavit of support was submitted; however, it was not from the petitioner/sponsor.

Please submit a complete and signed form I-864 for the petitioner/sponsor listed on form I-130 or form I-129F. Even if a joint sponsor will be used, the petitioner/sponsor must submit for I-864. (the form I-134 is no longer acceptable to use for Adjustment of status). Also provide copies of the petitioner/sponsor's most recent federal income tax returns.

For more specific information, see form I-864 instructions, Page 2, "Who completes and signs form I-864?""

So What im gonna do is exactly what I wrote in the beginning, have my husband file the I-864 (even tho he's been in school for the last 1-2 year and before that was collecting un-employement)and is only NOW starting to work full time. The lady on the phone said it doesn't matter if the income is zero, none, your fathers income will be added in the form I-864 that you file at part 6 item (B)as long as he files a I-864A with it.

I just ###### it up myself by doing that, hehe, so I don't want you to do it as well. If you are the petitioner then you must file the I-864 no matter what.

Good luck :D

I'm the petitioner so I knew I absolutely had to fill out my own I-864 even though I have no income. Then i will also have my father fill out an I-864 as a joint sponsor. i just spoke with a immigration attorney that verified that's the correct way.My question was whether since we all live in the same household has to do a I-864A or a I-864. The attorney verified that my father should do an I-864. Thanks. Good luck

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Hi Jennifer, I joined here today, under the name "desperada" I'm here in Hackensack, NJ. I'm trying to figure out this "domicile" thing. Wonder if you can help!. My email is ml.estropia@gmail.com

Timeline

I'm the petitioner so I knew I absolutely had to fill out my own I-864 even though I have no income. Then i will also have my father fill out an I-864 as a joint sponsor. i just spoke with a immigration attorney that verified that's the correct way.My question was whether since we all live in the same household has to do a I-864A or a I-864. The attorney verified that my father should do an I-864. Thanks. Good luck

Goodie :) if you're in the same household, living on the same address, have him file the I-864A.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You fill out the I-864 as the primary sponsor. Your father fills out his own I-864. Filling out an I-864A is used to combine incomes of qualifying household members. Since you are not earning anything, there is nothing to combine, so he would just use the I-864. Whether or not he needs to claim you in his household size is based on whether or not he claims you as a dependent on his taxes. If he does, then he counts you. If he doesn't, then he does not count you. His household size will be himself, a spouse if he has one, any dependent children under 21, any other dependents claimed on his taxes, anyone else he previously signed an affidavit of support for, plus your spouse(the intending immigrant).

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Goodie :) if you're in the same household, living on the same address, have him file the I-864A.

This is not so in all cases. Living in the same house does not determine if someone must file the I-864 or I-864A. They have no income, so it is best for the father to fill out his own separate I-864 instead. The I-864A is only used to combine incomes to reach the 125% requirement. If there is no income on the part of the primary sponsor, then it makes little sense to use a form to combine an income with nothing. The father should fill out his own separate I-864, like the attorney suggested.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

This is not so in all cases. Living in the same house does not determine if someone must file the I-864 or I-864A. They have no income, so it is best for the father to fill out his own separate I-864 instead. The I-864A is only used to combine incomes to reach the 125% requirement. If there is no income on the part of the primary sponsor, then it makes little sense to use a form to combine an income with nothing. The father should fill out his own separate I-864, like the attorney suggested.

Should I do the same?

Timeline

Should I do the same?

If your husband currently earns nothing, then his father should simply fill out his own separate I-864, yes. The joint sponsor should provide a 2011 tax transcript, letter from employer, a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs, and proof that they are a USC or LPR.

Thanks for confirming this for me Jay-Kay! Would you happen to know about the I693? I have a few questions

What questions do you have about the I-693? I can try and help you.

Timeline

If your husband currently earns nothing, then his father should simply fill out his own separate I-864, yes. The joint sponsor should provide a 2011 tax transcript, letter from employer, a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs, and proof that they are a USC or LPR.

What questions do you have about the I-693? I can try and help you.

my husband took his medical exam in his country on 5/31/11. If i mail his 485 on the 5/29 and USCIS receives on 5/30. will it be sufficient to just send the the vaccine supplement from his medical exam in cuba?

event.png

event.png

Timeline

my husband took his medical exam in his country on 5/31/11. If i mail his 485 on the 5/29 and USCIS receives on 5/30. will it be sufficient to just send the the vaccine supplement from his medical exam in cuba?

If he had all the required vaccinations at the time of his medical, then it should be ok. However, there is the US holiday on Monday, and I am wondering if they will actually receive and process it to give you a filing date before the 31st. You would be cutting it really close. I suppose you could go ahead and send it without getting a new medical, and then worry about going to get it if and when they send you an RFE to get it done.

Timeline

If he had all the required vaccinations at the time of his medical, then it should be ok. However, there is the US holiday on Monday, and I am wondering if they will actually receive and process it to give you a filing date before the 31st. You would be cutting it really close. I suppose you could go ahead and send it without getting a new medical, and then worry about going to get it if and when they send you an RFE to get it done.

ok thanks. we actually went to get another medical exam yesterday but the doctor claimed he needed all these additional vaccines(hep A,chicken pox even though his immunization says he had it as a child).he doesnt have health insurance and i couldn't fathom him having a bunch of unnecessary vaccines. i think i will send this week and see if get an rfe and deal with it then. thanks.

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.