GuruSikh

Visiting my fiancee(beneficiary) while waiting 4 NOA2

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello VJ,

My father & I will going to India to visit my fiancee in this coming June, for about 2 weeks to finalize the wedding preparations. According to the timeline, my NOA2 should come around late August. I read some topics on VJ, saying that's ok to visit their fiancee during the K-1 Visa process.

There's a list of things I plan to get done, I hope:

1. Fix the wedding date

2. Give my fiancee the copy of Packet 1

3. Get some done shopping (few things)

4. Finalize the design for wedding card invitations

5. Get her medical done at Apollo Clinic

6. Take photos of us together

#1 Question: For the forms I will need to fill out after I get my NOA2, should I take some blank forms & get her signature? I think one of the forms, DK, you to have fill out online & print.

Or should I do it like last time, where I e-mail her the filled forms. She prints the forms, sign it, & mail them to me. (Usually takes 4 days to reach me)

#2 Question: Should I get her medical done while I'm visiting her in India? Or let her get it done later? The Apollo Clinic in Chandigarh is the one she will go to. You don't need appointment because the clinic sets aside current days of the week for only Visa medicals, but it takes all day. The results usually take 3 weeks to come back, but its vaild for 6 months.

Thanks for the help ^^

Timeline

My bit of advice is, Apollo clinic Chandigarh is no longer in the list of authorized panels by Embassy New Delhi and its imperative to get medical done from authorized physician only....

Where does it say that? I visited the government website & it said the ones in authorized panels for visa in Punjab were Chandigarh & the one in Ludhiana. Besides, she can go to the other one if thats the case.

I would really appreciate if someone can answer my 2 questions about the forms & when it be the best time to get the medical done. Thanks.

At the Embassy stage the forms she takes to the Embassy/Consulate. You only need to fill out the I-134 (unless India requires the I-864 you need to check on that) and supply her with tax transcripts, letter from your employer, and the signed form. I would check with your Embassy/Consulate as to what they require. I know my financee sent me a packet of forms, I checked them and then sent her all the forms I needed to send to her. Took about 2 weeks and cost $200 for FedEx, but considering the other costs in this process that is peanuts. I also would not finalize the wedding date unless it is a long time inthe future as there are no guarantees about when the visa will be issued after the interview or how long it will take to get an interview.

You cannot do the medical until you have a letter from the Embassy/Consulate allowing you to have the medical (again some places are different so you need to check with YOUR Embassy/Consulate and see what is required for the K-1 visa interview and how to proceed). There may also be an issue of how long the medical is valid for so if you get it done too early and have to wait several months for an interview, ou may end up doing the medical again.

I hope your timeline works as you are planning, but I would not count my chickens until they have hatched nor make any concrete plans until the visa is in her hands.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello VJ,

My father & I will going to India to visit my fiancee in this coming June, for about 2 weeks to finalize the wedding preparations. According to the timeline, my NOA2 should come around late August. I read some topics on VJ, saying that's ok to visit their fiancee during the K-1 Visa process.

There's a list of things I plan to get done, I hope:

1. Fix the wedding date

2. Give my fiancee the copy of Packet 1

3. Get some done shopping (few things)

4. Finalize the design for wedding card invitations

5. Get her medical done at Apollo Clinic

6. Take photos of us together

#1 Question: For the forms I will need to fill out after I get my NOA2, should I take some blank forms & get her signature? I think one of the forms, DK, you to have fill out online & print.

Or should I do it like last time, where I e-mail her the filled forms. She prints the forms, sign it, & mail them to me. (Usually takes 4 days to reach me)

#2 Question: Should I get her medical done while I'm visiting her in India? Or let her get it done later? The Apollo Clinic in Chandigarh is the one she will go to. You don't need appointment because the clinic sets aside current days of the week for only Visa medicals, but it takes all day. The results usually take 3 weeks to come back, but its vaild for 6 months.

Thanks for the help ^^

#1: You should take the Affidavit of Support evidence (letter from the employer, tax returns copies, w2s, i-134 form complete, etc). THIS if for her to take to the interview, YOU will have to sign it. Not her. When it comes o the packet 3 forms, if she can't complete them herself, by all means, complete them and print them for her or send her a PDF copy for her to print out in India. Once again, these documents will have to be signed and presented BY HER at the interview, not you .. you don't have to take these back home. She has to keep them.

#2 I wouldn't get the medical done until you actually GET NOA2 because, while we all hope for the best, anything can happen. If you get an RFE before NOA2, that will set you back in time... and the medical, as per your indication, is only valid for 6 months. (Valid for 1 year in Argentina).

Careful with the wedding preparations. It's strongly advised that you don't make any type of definitive plans until she has her visa on her hands. You wouldn't want to pay for something in advance and not be able to get a refund.

Make sure that someone at home is alert and waiting for your NOA2... if you get an RFE while you are in India, you might never find out until you get home.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

-

I will admit that I, too, am in the beginning stages of this process, but from everything that I have read in these forums, you should wait to do anything until your fiancee has received her letter from the Embassy. This packet should contain all the instructions regarding what additional forms are necessary and where to go for her medical. This is the time when she will also set her date for an interview. As I understand it, that time will be 4-6 weeks AFTER the Embassy receives everything from USCIS and she receives her letter with instructions.

Also, I hope this isn't being too negative, but the Timeline you see here on VJ is based ONLY on the people that are on this website..NOT the actual processing time for your service center. You can check their actual processing times on the USICS website...and keep in mind, these change also. It would be such a shame to see you set a wedding date, get invitations prepared and then your VISA takes longer than expected. Although I keep my fingers crossed for you and wish you the best of luck and hope nothing goes wrong...so many things can happen between now the issuing of your VISA.

Good luck to you and enjoy your visit with her!!

Our Journey:

10/02/2011: Met while working in Afghanistan
10/15/2011: First "date"
01/03/2012: Hired an attorney to file our K-1
02/05/2012: He returned to Macedonia
02/29/2012: My first visit to Skopje
03/03/2012: Met my future family
03/15/2012: I-129F package mailed / returned to Afghanistan
03/19/2012: Received notification of arrival of I-129F
03/21/2012: NOA1 mailed
07/15/2012: 2nd trip to Skopje
09/20/2012: NOA2 notice
10/05/2012: Attorney Received Case number from NVC
10/25/2012: Received packet 3 ( the same time I left on my flight back to the US)
11/06/2012: Medical Scheduled
11/15/2012: Interview - Denied due to "lack of proof of relationship"
11/27/2012; 2nd Interview scheduled - APPROVED!
11/29/2012: VISA IN HAND!
11/30/2012: POE NYC-JFK
12/12/2012: WEDDING!!!

02/26/2013: I-485 Filed

09/10/2013: Green card received NO INTERVIEW!!!!

Timeline

@ Dave

ok thanks for quick replay

1. My fiancee's best friend, just got her visa medical done a week ago & she went with her to the medical. They said its valid for 6 months. But best to do it 1-2 months before interview date since it takes 3 weeks for the results to come back. The embassy usually asks for medical 2 weeks before interview date, so better to get it done before.

I thought I would ask VJ & found out your guy's opinions also.

2. My friend who also lives in the USA, got her fiancee's medical done 4 months in advance for K-1 Visa, but that was 2 years ago.

3. Marriage is around late Oct this year. If the visa isn't approved by then, I will stay in India until it is. Its not a problem for me, my business is web-based & I can do it from there also.

I will look into it what you said & found out. Thanks again

Edited by GuruSikh

Timeline

@Celeste

-ok thank you. I will wait until I get my NOA2 to get her medical done. Also I will take the forms you listed. Thanks.

My mom & sister will be home while my dad & I are away.

@Milan & Pam

-Ok thank you for info. I will definitely enjoy my visit :), its been 1 1/2 years since I have seen her.

Thanks everyone for the replies & input ^^

Edited by GuruSikh

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Just a quick note on something stated in the OP:

"I read some topics on VJ, saying that's ok to visit their fiancee during the K-1 Visa process."

At anytime, as long as you [the USC] have the proper paperwork to visit the beneficiary, the only outcome will be positive - it shows you have an on-going relationship!

As stated in the OP it alludes to the thinking that somehow the beneficiary's country may an issue with the visit??? Not true. They are not privy to any paperwork you have submitted to USCIS.

From the other side - if the beneficiary has the proper means to visit [b1/B2, VWP, etc] the sponsor in the US - there can occasionally be issues with border patrol refusing the beneficiary [not enough ties to return after the visit, suspicious cbp, etc etc etc]. With a country like India, there is just about no chance a fiance/e will get a B1/B2 with a K1 petition in the works...

GuruSikh - you heading out to India to spend time and get stuff straight for the wedding is totally fine and will only bolster your case!

The only thing you really need to think about pre-NOA2/packet 3 is doing the homework to get the forms that will be requested. Find out which offices you'll need to visit, find out the locations and hours of the medical, etc. as you may get grief trying to get all the forms worked out ahead of time as you don't have the interview letter yet. Plus, a handful of the forms can expire like the medical and the pcc. You don't want to but the cart before the horse, as they say. On the US side - you can go ahead order your tax transcript from the IRS.

I know it's exciting to try and get all this stuff done and get the ball rolling - and it's great your doing your homework on this process - but some of it should only be done when the time comes.

Best of luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.