Mithra

Sex lives of married Egyptians laid bare - news article

73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

OMG I win ! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Allah knows best :yes:

<<hands the trophe and a medal of honor to WOM>> To be fair, he was covering "my X-box"... only 1 gamer allowed. :rofl:

Also, I believe all of your husbands/ wives/ partners are hottttttt! (covered or not) You all have impecable taste ;) and I mean that respectfully.

The scene was shared to illustrate how sexuality and religion collide in the most ridiculous ways. While 80% of divorces in Egypt, apparently are because some inexperienced- or uneducated- folks are f***ing up their marriages (pun fully intended), others keep on preaching door to door to be scared off by some sort of exhibitionist behavior. Religion and sex..... now that's a marriage made in (fill in the blank)

I will confess- and I'm not proud of this, I must say- it is highly irritating to have conservative/ religious zealots knock on my door attempting to recruit me or anyone in my household. I think is just disrespectful in so many levels. So, I tried anything you can imagine, including a polite sign kindly asking them to leave that read: "we don't give a damn about hats, chastity belts and the divine, please move on." Ok, it wasn't polite, but my mom said that was actually "an invitation." She was right :wacko: One day, many years ago, a couple of mormons knocked on my door on a saturday morning... 6am. That was it! So, I answered topless and told them "yes, I found Jesus and he's wearing a pointy hat." I slammed the door while they were getting back on their bikes. It worked. Never again I had annoying fanatics coming to my property (which technically doesn't constitute a public appearance).

Anyhow, I told him the story and he couldn't stop laughing. Hence, he did that to the old ladies. In conclusion, this had absolutely nothing to do with being hot or ugly. I can assure the mormons ran away out of disgust because I am certainly not even pretty at all!

I apologize if anyone found this post or any previous posts offensive. I know some of you, if not most, practice your religion(s) faithfully. Some of us, however, practice a set of beliefs that may fit or not in a particular denomination, cult or monotheistic religion. In the case of sexuality, our beliefs are- putting in political wording- "progressive."

Back on the topic, maybe sexual education should be implemented in high school. Or, maybe sexual education should be a requirement prior to marriage (be it a sexual therapist or an open class).

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

OMG I win ! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Allah knows best :yes:

Oh no, no one has won yet.. we haven't even lit the big torch! Anyway, you know the event is over when the thread is locked. :)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Oh no, no one has won yet.. we haven't even lit the big torch! Anyway, you know the event is over when the thread is locked. :)

Mutters about evil forces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVaV7gCYbw

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I will confess- and I'm not proud of this, I must say- it is highly irritating to have conservative/ religious zealots knock on my door attempting to recruit me or anyone in my household. I think is just disrespectful in so many levels. So, I tried anything you can imagine, including a polite sign kindly asking them to leave that read: "we don't give a damn about hats, chastity belts and the divine, please move on." Ok, it wasn't polite, but my mom said that was actually "an invitation." She was right :wacko: One day, many years ago, a couple of mormons knocked on my door on a saturday morning... 6am. That was it! So, I answered topless and told them "yes, I found Jesus and he's wearing a pointy hat." I slammed the door while they were getting back on their bikes. It worked. Never again I had annoying fanatics coming to my property (which technically doesn't constitute a public appearance).

Actually, Mormon missionaries follow a strict schedule. They wake up at 6:30 am, study for an hour and 1/2, have breakfast and do not leave the house until 8am at the earliest. They would not, under any circumstances, have knocked on your door at 6am. But I guess it makes for a better story though if those pesky Mormons wake you up before dawn... :innocent:

I do think that many religions struggle with how to approach teaching about sexuality. And as I'm sure you understand, some religions, including Islam (and those pesky Mormons), consider sex something that should be enjoyed only inside a marriage. And the real blame lies with the individual. If men and women who were abstinate prior to marriage choose not to educate themselves about sex once inside their marriage - that is not the fault of the religion...its the fault of the individual. The truly "open minded" or "progressive" people are confident enough in their own beliefs that they don't have to mock or feel frustrated with the views of others. True "progressives" accept the views and choices of all people...including those "archaic" religious views that teach abstinence before marriage...pesky as it may seem. :innocent:

:thumbs: :thumbs:

An excellent summation.

Actually, Mormon missionaries follow a strict schedule. They wake up at 6:30 am, study for an hour and 1/2, have breakfast and do not leave the house until 8am at the earliest. They would not, under any circumstances, have knocked on your door at 6am. But I guess it makes for a better story though if those pesky Mormons wake you up before dawn... :innocent:

I do think that many religions struggle with how to approach teaching about sexuality. And as I'm sure you understand, some religions, including Islam (and those pesky Mormons), consider sex something that should be enjoyed only inside a marriage. And the real blame lies with the individual. If men and women who were abstinate prior to marriage choose not to educate themselves about sex once inside their marriage - that is not the fault of the religion...its the fault of the individual. The truly "open minded" or "progressive" people are confident enough in their own beliefs that they don't have to mock or feel frustrated with the views of others. True "progressives" accept the views and choices of all people...including those "archaic" religious views that teach abstinence before marriage...pesky as it may seem. :innocent:

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Well, I'm going to say it: there's an elephant in the room and it's name is "FGM," which no doubt contributes to the issue.

The linked article (which is a very brief synopsis of the film) mentions it:

Masturbation, infidelity, sexual frustration and virginity loss are all laid bare -- as is the controversial subject of female circumcision, a practice banned but still widely carried out in Egypt.

The film features several anonymous interviewees talking honestly about their private lives.

The other point that Mithra mentioned - Dr. Kotb's estimate that 80% of Egyptian divorces are due to sex issues - is actually reported in a different article:

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-11-11/world/egypt.divorce_1_egyptian-women-egyptian-society-marriages?_s=PM:WORLD

Reading the second article, this stat caught my eye:

Nearly 40 percent of marriages in Egypt now end in divorce, making it the highest rate in the Arab world. Egypt is also one of the few countries in the region where the topic is discussed so freely, thanks largely to the initiative of outspoken women.

This made me wonder - is Egyptian society more accepting of divorce than other Arab or Muslim countries ? Who initiates most of these divorces - the husbands or the wives ? And are the quoted stats an indication of a growing "women's movement" in Egypt that is empowering wives to end unhappy marriages ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband found out the hard way: he got Jehovah Witnessed while I was at work.

He was simply wearing a towel around his waist when he opened the door. Being an athletic 6'6", the ladies were more than............. excited. Nevertheless, they turned away being they were provoked by "evil forces" to look at him with eyes of desire.

For real? Who answers the door in a towel? I'm sure he never answered the door naked in Egypt. So the question is, why here in the U.S then? After this event, I hope you educated your husband that, sure, you have the freedom to do that in the U.S. but you just don't anwser the door nakkid!!!! Simply not good etiquette regardless or nationality, religion, age or sex.

i just don't answer my door when i'm alone at home, unless i know who it is. after about a minute, anyone i don't want to answer the door for just goes away. whether they want to sell me a security system, landscaping services or salvation. i had no idea things could be so...complicated.

out of all the people i know who don't share my religious beliefs, or don't have any religious beliefs at all, i don't think i know any that would answer their front doors topless, or in towels. there are clearly other factors involved.

Agreed, I don't answer my door either unless I'm expecting you or if I know you. I don't care if they see me peeking out the window to see who they are. I should start waving and staring at them until they leave LOL Really though, I was thinking about a 'no solicitor' sign. Anyone try that?

As for answering the door in a towel, I thought that only happened on tv or in the movies.

Amen, sista!! Well said.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

For real? Who answers the door in a towel? I'm sure he never answered the door naked in Egypt. So the question is, why here in the U.S then? After this event, I hope you educated your husband that, sure, you have the freedom to do that in the U.S. but you just don't anwser the door nakkid!!!! Simply not good etiquette regardless or nationality, religion, age or sex.

When I was expecting an important package (envelope) once I answered the door in a towel-- I knew it was the UPS guy and I had on my giant towel which was more like a sari because I was actually in the shower when he rang the doorbell. I also barely cracked the door enough just do I could sign and stood behind it. So it wasn't full-on brazen toweling of the visitor. That was a specific circumstance though. I also had a second towel covering my shoulders/arms.

ETA I did once run outside in my underwear/bra though, but that was also a special circumstance. My kitteh had been missing for 8 weeks and I suddenly saw him in the backyard-- so I just ran out into my back yard and got him. No one saw me, but I wasn't going to just wait while i got dressed to go get him. It has to be kind of extraordinary circumstances for me to go outside or be confronted by others not really clothed. Ammar was totally OK with my underweared appearance outside, which means he understood the importance of the event. it was good anyway, as he had ripped his underarm open and I became quite bloody. :)

Edited by julianna

Timeline

Wow...I read futher. Topless too? My oh my. No wonder this world is messed up!

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

Okay okay...I suppose if I was in the shower and I heard some horrid shriek outside and it turns out (God forbid) one of my kids or someone elses kids being hurt, then I may run outside in towel (or less) to make sure they were okay but like you said, Julianna, only under special circumstance. :hehe:

Timeline

Okay okay...I suppose if I was in the shower and I heard some horrid shriek outside and it turns out (God forbid) one of my kids or someone elses kids being hurt, then I may run outside in towel (or less) to make sure they were okay but like you said, Julianna, only under special circumstance. :hehe:

:) Yeah. I mean i can think of a few circumstances-- like I might strip if I had to jump into water to save a drowning person (I'm usually wearing heavy jeans)-- but I can't say I would just, on average, I would just do it without there being some kind of danger factor.

This made me wonder - is Egyptian society more accepting of divorce than other Arab or Muslim countries ? Who initiates most of these divorces - the husbands or the wives ? And are the quoted stats an indication of a growing "women's movement" in Egypt that is empowering wives to end unhappy marriages ?

I saw a news release a couple of years ago that said 50% of marriages in Egypt don't make it a year. I've tried to find it again, but can't. But the statistics are skewed anyway, and here's why. Once the papers are signed, it's a legal marriage, but they're not really married until there's been sexy time. If it all falls apart between those two events, there has to be a divorce. One of my friends is 29, divorced two wives, and he's still a virgin.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yep!

There are way too many creeps in the world for me to open the door when home alone. None of my friends or family show up unannounced so really no reason to answer anyways. What I dislike is when I have my door open in the summer to get some air and solicitors think that means I want whatever they're selling ( be it roofing or religion). That's when they are persistent and don't leave right away. I go about my business and act like I don't even see them standing there.

My husband wouldn't even wear shorts (regular not boxer) in Egypt out of modesty. I can't imagine going from that sort of cultural norm to answering your door half naked.

i just don't answer my door when i'm alone at home, unless i know who it is. after about a minute, anyone i don't want to answer the door for just goes away. whether they want to sell me a security system, landscaping services or salvation. i had no idea things could be so...complicated.

out of all the people i know who don't share my religious beliefs, or don't have any religious beliefs at all, i don't think i know any that would answer their front doors topless, or in towels. there are clearly other factors involved.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.