Waitinggent

Traveling Internationally With Expired Green Card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi VJers,

My wife is very concerned about the airlines letting her on the airplane to return to the U.S. with an expired Green Card and simply this NOA letter. With the Advanced Parole doc, they almost wouldn't let her get on the airplane until they found somebody who knew what it was. This was in Russia. Her son also had a hard time using his Advanced Parole to get on a flight from Russia back to the USA. If they are not familiar with the Adv Parole, I can only imagine what they will think of this NOA letter. I would like to get feedback from those who have flown internationally with an expired Green Card to know whether they had any problems with the airlines, or if you have any lessons learned from that experience. Any responses will be appreciated and ease my wife's mind.

Thanks Much,

Tom

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi VJers,

My wife is very concerned about the airlines letting her on the airplane to return to the U.S. with an expired Green Card and simply this NOA letter. With the Advanced Parole doc, they almost wouldn't let her get on the airplane until they found somebody who knew what it was. This was in Russia. Her son also had a hard time using his Advanced Parole to get on a flight from Russia back to the USA. If they are not familiar with the Adv Parole, I can only imagine what they will think of this NOA letter. I would like to get feedback from those who have flown internationally with an expired Green Card to know whether they had any problems with the airlines, or if you have any lessons learned from that experience. Any responses will be appreciated and ease my wife's mind.

Thanks Much,

Tom

You shouldn't have any problems. The airlines should not be concerned about your green card; It is Immigration officer at the check point to whom you'ill show your passport, green card, and NOA letter and they shouldn't have any problems if the check the system. Good luck.

04/23/07: petition sent to TSC

05/01/07: petition received at CSC

05/01/07: NOA1 Date.....no hard copy

08/06/07: Fiance called USCIS for info aboout NOA1 hard copy

08/07/07: Touch

08/08/07: Touch

08/09/07: Touch

08/10/07: Touch

08/11/07: NOA1 hard copy

08/21/07: Touch due to phone call was told that our case has been assigned

08/27/07: Touch

08/28/07: APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Received e-mail that our case has been approved on the 27th)

09/18/07: Petition left CSC

09/24/07: NVC received Petition

09/26/07: Petition left NVC

10/02/07: Kingston Embassy received Petition

10/04/07: sent off DS-230 part 1 (sent via courier service)

10/09/07: Packet 3 received

10/09/07: Drop off DS-230 part 1 (in person)

12/03/07: Medical

12/18/07: INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!!!

01/04/08: VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!

01/11/08: Arrived in the USA

03/23/08: WEDDING DATE

09/19/08: AOS approved

09/25/08: GC in hand

usaCa.gif

jamaicaCxa.gif

Filed: Timeline

You shouldn't have any problems. The airlines should not be concerned about your green card; It is Immigration officer at the check point to whom you'ill show your passport, green card, and NOA letter and they shouldn't have any problems if the check the system. Good luck.

Actually, the airlines will check your papers before they let you board, otherwise they will have to provide a return flight if they shouldn't have been allowed you to board because of documentation problems. Sometimes the airlines may be harder to convince than the immigration officials for the particular county you are trying to enter. International airlines counter personnel may not be familiar with all the acceptable documents for every country they provide service to, so be persistent.

Edited by ☼

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from ROC to Travelling During Immigration ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually, the airlines will check your papers before they let you board, otherwise they will have to provide a return flight if they shouldn't have been allowed you to board because of documentation problems. Sometimes the airlines may be harder to convince than the immigration officials for the particular county you are trying to enter. International airlines counter personnel may not be familiar with all the acceptable documents for every country they provide service to, so be persistent.

Exactly. My wife and stepson always seem to have problems with the airline counter personnel not being informed and not wanting to accept their documentation for entry onto their aircraft. Immigration in the U.S. is not a concern. So I would really like to hear from those who had problems (or who had no problems) from the airline counter personnel while traveling with an expired Green Card. And thanks much to those who have responded so far.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Exactly. My wife and stepson always seem to have problems with the airline counter personnel not being informed and not wanting to accept their documentation for entry onto their aircraft. Immigration in the U.S. is not a concern. So I would really like to hear from those who had problems (or who had no problems) from the airline counter personnel while traveling with an expired Green Card. And thanks much to those who have responded so far.

I believe airlines can be fined large sums of money if they allow someone to travel to the US who is not eligible to enter and is subsequently refused entry. This makes them over cautious. I have traveled internationally twice with my extension letter and not had any problems but I did have to show the letter and explain everything to the counter personnel.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.