According to a report on The Middle East Media Research Institute, Apple's

NY Fifth Avenue store has been slammed by "an Islamic website" as a

"new insult to Islam".

The reason? Well, it resembles the Muslims' sacred Ka'ba, situated in the

Masjid al-Haram mosque in Mecca:

apple_store.jpg

The "Islamic website" claims that since the offending structure is known as the

"Apple Mecca", and "contains bars selling alcoholic beverages", it constitutes

"a blatant insult to Islam". The site accordingly calls on Muslims to spread the

word in the hope that "Muslims will be able to stop the project".

Sadly, it's a bit late for that, since the store opened for business back in May.

We do have some good news, though. As far as we're aware it's not called the

"Apple Mecca", it does not serve alcoholic beverages, and neither Jack Straw

nor Salman Rushdie work behind the counter.

Source

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think what happened is when it was being constructed they had black plastic over the whole thing, probably to protect it. Someone uppity saw a picture of it, noticed it was similar to the kaaba, and decided to make a fuss over nothing.

267700157_f0c0729645.jpg

/flickr

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

But the steps around it as well as the tall buildings (easily the width of the WALLS of the 'mecca grand mosque') mean only the SHAPE was similar.

This rather resembles the ado a few years ago about the "BC" comic strip concerning slamming an outhouse door--where because the word "SLAM!" was stacked, some "muslim" claimed it was insulting.

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

You can't copyright a cube. :lol:

Not quite true (Rubik's cube IS copyrighted/trademarked). But no muslim till now has ever filed a copyright on the ka'ba. :lol: :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Muslim website says muslims aren't offended by Apple Store

also

Muslims profess serious love for Apple store

and this muslim would seriously love a green IPod nano. Anyone, in the sake of interfaith relations? :help:

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You can't copyright a cube. :lol:

Not quite true (Rubik's cube IS copyrighted/trademarked). But no muslim till now has ever filed a copyright on the ka'ba. :lol: :lol:

If we're talking architecture here - I don't believe anyone owns a copyright or patent for a cube shaped building. Which is why this is just another example of knee-jerkery. Its because the store has opened, NOT because it is "blasphemous".

Just another example of someone looking to be offended and pulling something out of the air to draw attention to themselves. If you were to point out the thousands of other buildings that are similarly shaped, the argument becomes meaningless. In other words, its a complete "non-issue".

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Perhaps it was because the rumor was that it was not only a black cubed building but also that it was going to be called Apple's Mecca?

So what? I might say the Starbucks outside Colombia University is a Mecca for students. Where's the offence? That the word "Mecca" has taken on a wider meaning?

People are really ridiculous when they get up in arms about things like this. What's next? Someone complains about a 5-star restaurant because they don't like the "aesthetic lines of the decor". Its ridiculous.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

yea now I'm offended because it looks like the Mexican cube of happiness.. it's plain wrong.. ayy

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Timeline

Perhaps it was because the rumor was that it was not only a black cubed building but also that it was going to be called Apple's Mecca?

So what? I might say the Starbucks outside Colombia University is a Mecca for students. Where's the offence? That the word "Mecca" has taken on a wider meaning?

People are really ridiculous when they get up in arms about things like this. What's next? Someone complains about a 5-star restaurant because they don't like the "aesthetic lines of the decor". Its ridiculous.

Well I don't know... I was just guessing :lol: I'm not personally offended.... I really couldn't care less about it... as a matter of fact, if it wasn't posted here I would have probably never heard about it :lol:

Does it have a meteor that was worshipped by pagans? It sure would be uncanny then.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG