GarthnSury

How can my wife work while form i-485 being processed

8 posts in this topic

My wife and i are trying to figure out how she can work while our froms are being processed, seeing how as we want to pay for the i-485 and not seperatly for the additional money for a 756 i think it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

She can only work once she's applied for EAD and received the card. This is free if you file with AOS. AOS costs are $1070 for filing and biometrics. The EAD card comes about 2-3 months after filing. She will also need an SSN.

Edited by Coconuts

She cannot work unless she has an approved EAD. The EAD is free when filed in conjunction with the I-485.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

She can only work once she's applied for EAD and received the card. This is free if you file with AOS. AOS costs are $1070 for filing and biometrics. The EAD card comes about 2-3 months after filing. She will also need an SSN.

I just want to add, also file for the AP with the AOS, it is also free to file with the AOS. The AP gives the ability to travel while waiting for the green card.

AOS I-485 $1070 fee and biometrics > Green Card

EAD I-765 free with AOS > Temporary Employment Authorization while awaiting Green Card

AP I-131 free with AOS > Advanced Parole allows re-entry into the country while awaiting Green Card

The EAD and AP come on one combo card and is lately taking 2 to 3 months.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

• 3 weeks later...

very confused!!!:

I am in a very similar situation in that i have now filed my AOS including the form to allow me to work I-765. as I am sure you all know it is very difficult finding all this money and the fact that we have to do all this on just one income is virtually impossible! I am so eager to work and have also got a job lined up for when the paperwork is done.

I have read so much info i have it coming out of my ears but not only that there is so much conflicting info too!

Please can some one clear this up for me.

Once my I-845 and accompanying forms have been filed can i work??

I have read that the forms are sometimes completed in different stages, is this true? the current waiting time for the I-458 is now 5 months, will i have to wait the same amount of time for the I-765, or can it come sooner?

Has anyone recently been through this stage, is the waiting time on the USCIS correct?

thank you so much in advance for any help/info

Leonie

You can work once your I-765 is approved and your EAD is in your hand. The current processing time for I-765 is 3 months.

Once your I485 is approved, and you have your GC, you will no longer need the I-765, because the GC gives you the right to work and travel by itself. The EAD is a stop-gap measure (though it still takes 3 months to approve).

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.