Leonie

working after filing AOS????

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Can any one help;

I am filing my AOS today, along with going to the SS office to get my SS number. When can i start working ad i have a job all lined up just waiting on the paperwork?

I have heard that as long as my AOS is filed and i have a SS number i can work right away, is this correct? or do i need to wait for the number/card to arrive?

Please help!! any info will be much appreciated!!!

Leonie & Scott

Incorrect.

Did you file for EAD along with your AOS? EAD is an Employment Authorization Document. It is generally approved faster than your AOS is (approximately 3 months), and once you have that card, it allows you to work until your green card arrives. The green card then replaces the EAD card.

You must have either of those cards as well as a social security number to work.

Edited by Coconuts

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should have gotten you're social during the K1, now you have to wait till your EAD is approved, then get your social and you can work.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

You should have gotten you're social during the K1, now you have to wait till your EAD is approved, then get your social and you can work.

What do you mean by getting your social "during the K1"? There is no during a K1. It expires the second it's used to enter the US.

They could have gotten it after they entered if they wished, but they didn't. That's not the main issue here. The main issue is that it doesn't sound like they have an EAD, which takes much longer to get than the SSN.

Timeline

We went two weeks after entering and got the social as per VJ suggestion. The K1 is good for 90 days, (then you are out of status till you apply for your AOS), just don't wait until it almost expires to apply for your social they will not do it. When received we were eligible to get a drivers license which she did. C -You are right on the EAD they now need to wait for the EAD, the K1 issue is FYI for others reading this posting. Why wait for the EAD, then apply for the social and wait again, when you can get it during K1.

We went two weeks after entering and got the social as per VJ suggestion. The K1 is good for 90 days, (then you are out of status till you apply for your AOS), just don't wait until it almost expires to apply for your social they will not do it. When received we were eligible to get a drivers license which she did. C -You are right on the EAD they now need to wait for the EAD, the K1 issue is FYI for others reading this posting. Why wait for the EAD, then apply for the social and wait again, when you can get it during K1.

The K1 is not good for 90 days.

The K1 is good for entering the United States once. That's all it is. A one time entry visa. It expires as soon as it's used. To fulfill requirements, you have 90 days to get married. There is no "during K1" time period.

As long as the SSN is applied for a couple weeks before the I-94 expires, it's fine. If not, they do have to wait, so the sooner it's filed for the better.

It's confusing when people talk about how long the K1 is good for, when it's only good for one thing. If anything, it's good for the six months you have between getting the visa and entering the US. But once that happens, it's expired.

Edited by Coconuts

Timeline

K-1 is good for one entry (yes), the 90 days in the Visa is to keep you in status till you apply for the AOS. We did the process I understand, sorry if you can't see the big picture, (love and patience). Obviously you do not live in a border state where they deport people who are out of status.

K-1 is good for one entry (yes), the 90 days in the Visa is to keep you in status till you apply for the AOS. We did the process I understand, sorry if you can't see the big picture, (love and patience). Obviously you do not live in a border state where they deport people who are out of status.

What are you talking about? The visa doesn't keep you in status. The I-94 does. Once that's expired, you are technically accumulating "overstay" but that's forgiven as soon as AOS is filed for.

What does this have to do with the SSN or being able to work? I was simply stating that there is no "during K1", because the K1 expires as soon as it's used.

Edited by Coconuts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

This is my understanding. After arriving in the US, I was advised that I had 90 days to get married, I was also advised that during this 90 days was the best time to apply for my SSN. It was recommended to do this, before 76 days since entry had elapsed.

If I was to apply after 90 days, it would be rejected, and that I would have to apply for EAD and once approved, can then get my SSN.

If it has been less than 77 days since you entered the US, then apply for your SS, that way when your EAD is approved, you can start work.

I hope this helps.

This is my understanding. After arriving in the US, I was advised that I had 90 days to get married, I was also advised that during this 90 days was the best time to apply for my SSN. It was recommended to do this, before 76 days since entry had elapsed.

If I was to apply after 90 days, it would be rejected, and that I would have to apply for EAD and once approved, can then get my SSN.

If it has been less than 77 days since you entered the US, then apply for your SS, that way when your EAD is approved, you can start work.

I hope this helps.

You are correct. As long as there are a couple weeks left on the I-94, the SSN can be applied for. If it's expired, then they will unfortunately have to wait for the EAD.

Timeline
<br />K-1 is good for one entry (yes), the 90 days in the Visa is to keep you in status till you apply for the AOS.  We did the process I understand, sorry if you can't see the big picture, (love and patience).  Obviously you do not live in a border state where they deport people who are out of status.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sorry I did not mention that the K-1 and I94 are tied together in the same process, one is a visa the other shows entry, seemed elementary to me, duh.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

<br /><br /><br />

Sorry I did not mention that the K-1 and I94 are tied together in the same process, one is a visa the other shows entry, seemed elementary to me, duh.

I believe what Coconuts was trying to point out to you is that they are NOT tied together. Other people receive an I-94 upon entry to the US and not just K-1 entrants. The K-1 visa is a one time entry visa. It becomes null and void the moment you use it to enter the US, therefore there is no "during the k-1" time. You can go and apply for your SSN during the time your I-94 is still valid, up until 2 weeks before it expires. Your status in the US is based on the I-94 you are given when you enter. Your status in the US has nothing to do with the K-1, other than making you eligible to file for AOS because you entered with a K-1 and married the petitioner within 90 days of entry. Status is based on the I-94. Once the I-94 expires, if you have not filed for AOS already, you become out of status and will start accruing overstay time, even if you married within the 90 days like you were supposed to.

Anyway, back to the actual topic at hand: To the OP> Getting your SSN is not enough to be able to work. You need to wait until you also have your EAD. Your SSN will come with a notation printed on it that states 'valid for work only with DHS authorization'. The EAD is that authorization. You need both together to legally work. Once you get your green card, the EAD is void and all you need is the green card and your SSN. You can even go back to the SSA when you get your green card and have them issue you a new card based on your status as a legal permanent resident. The number will always remain the same, but the new card will have no conditions and will be issued without that statement on it.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

To answer your question.

NO! You cannot work with you have not received your EAD or Green card.

It will say on you SS card: Not valid for work unless authorised.

Make sure your apply for youe EAD with your AOS. It takes about 2-3 months.

I know how you feel. I turned a job down coz I didnt have my EAd yet

I believe what Coconuts was trying to point out to you is that they are NOT tied together. Other people receive an I-94 upon entry to the US and not just K-1 entrants. The K-1 visa is a one time entry visa. It becomes null and void the moment you use it to enter the US, therefore there is no "during the k-1" time. You can go and apply for your SSN during the time your I-94 is still valid, up until 2 weeks before it expires. Your status in the US is based on the I-94 you are given when you enter. Your status in the US has nothing to do with the K-1, other than making you eligible to file for AOS because you entered with a K-1 and married the petitioner within 90 days of entry. Status is based on the I-94. Once the I-94 expires, if you have not filed for AOS already, you become out of status and will start accruing overstay time, even if you married within the 90 days like you were supposed to.

:thumbs: You said it much better than I was able to. That's exactly what I was trying to get across.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.