GAFL

Engineering

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Good Evening,

I am just in the researching stages of my visa journey. Currently, my guy is studying engineering, and finishes in August 2013; what would he have to do when he comes to the states in reference to getting a job in that field? This is just me inquiring early.

Thanks.

-Met in Ghana August 2011

-Went back to Ghana April 2012

-Went back to Ghana December 2012

-Married to the man God created just for me on January 4th, 2013.

-Filed the CR-1 in February 2013

-Petition Transfered from National Benefits Center to Texas Service Center October 2013

-Petition APPROVED January 2014 (*Took 10 Months 19 Calendar Days)

-Case Number/Invoice Identification Number Assigned February 2014 (*Took 33 Calendar Days)

-Approved Interview May 2014

-Arrival May 2014

Now, We are Prayerfully taking everything 1 day at a time. Thanking God for his blessings and grace.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good Evening,

I am just in the researching stages of my visa journey. Currently, my guy is studying engineering, and finishes in August 2013; what would he have to do when he comes to the states in reference to getting a job in that field? This is just me inquiring early.

Thanks.

I would have him make sure his degree and classes in his country

are recognized and/or transferable by engineering universities in

the USA. I think? :thumbs:

Hopefully some more folks chime in!

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Good Evening,

Thanks.

Start researching networking groups in the U.S. that specialize in the type of engineering your guy is studying. Just about every career has at least one national association, so look for a local (or regional) chapter.

Also, if he's not on LinkedIn, have him set up a profile and add his experience to date. There are also a number of groups there that are geared towards various industries/careers/locales, so that would help him get an idea (by asking questions, reading the discussions) of what's available in the U.S., what kind of qualities/expertise employers are seeking, and more.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

he might have to go back to school and take some few classes. some one should correct me if I'm wrong, but most companies\school in America does not trust degrees from other countries( especially from third world countries) unless they have some sort of agreement with the school. when i went to college in America, i had to test out of lots of classes because they didn't trust my transcripts from my high school in Ghana.

they dont trust our educational system here in Ghana. i dont blame them though... :whistle:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

he might have to go back to school and take some few classes. some one should correct me if I'm wrong, but most companies\school in America does not trust degrees from other countries( especially from third world countries) unless they have some sort of agreement with the school. when i went to college in America, i had to test out of lots of classes because they didn't trust my transcripts from my high school in Ghana.

they dont trust our educational system here in Ghana. i dont blame them though... :whistle:

A friend of mine works for the state as an engineer. She got her degree from the Philippines. I got my degree from the Philippines too. I had my transcripts evaluated and it is equivalent to BS degree here. I sent my resume and the results of the evaluation to the Dept of Civil Service. I am now on the eligible list. Hopefully, I will be considered for canvassing. I think it depends on what degre you have.

POE - 11/05/09

Wedding - 01/19/10

AOS Sent - 02/08/12

NOA1 - 02/15/12

Case transferred to CSC - 03/18/12

Biometrics - 03/21/12

EAD card production - 04/04/12

EAD Card Received - 04/13/12

AOS Approval - card mailed 08/29/12

GC Received - 09/01/12

Thank you, Lord!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IF the degree plan follows whats stipulated by ABET (American Board of Engineering Technology) then a transcript evaluation will be a breeze.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Join the National Society for Black Engineers. Check to see if a student level membership is available - maybe at a lower fee than normal membership. Good luck! :thumbs:

http://www.nsbe.org/

Staying strong and patient in love and faith!

http://ghanaspouse.blogspot.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I was looking for an Engineering job after immigrating to the US for almost 7 months, so it is not easy. No employer has ever openly said anything about my foreign degree, but it has most likely played a part in not getting a job sooner.

My advice is:

1. Get a couple standard recommendation letters from professors or co-workers, signed, dated and contact info from English speaking references. Much to my surprise my former supervisors has been contacted repeatedly. In my country references were not as improtant that in the US. And even a foreign one is better than none.

2. I am unsure how his transcript will look like but mine had all the classes listed bilingual and even a section describing the skills accumulated. You need to have a translated one ready just in case. I did not need to evaluate mine. when I was looking into going back to school the college also would have done the equivalation in house, so before you spend the money on it make sure you will need it. I got asked for my transcript by the interviewer and I always had it on me next to my CV if needed.

3. Temp agencies are great to put your feet through the door. That is how I got my job. started out on a term contract and now I am full time, exempt. Companies will be more willing to hire an immigrant this way because it is less risk for them.

4. Research the area figure out what type of industry you have here. Defense and gov. jobs are almost imposible at first but it doesn't hurt to try, He will need to emphasize and change his resume based on each job listing, list relevant skills. Get his English in good shape and persevere.

Good luck and hope this was usefull

Edited by anita_t

Timeline

Thank you so much for all the responses. They were well written and detailed for when the time comes for him. I hope each of you are having a great day!

Happy Friday!

I was looking for an Engineering job after immigrating to the US for almost 7 months, so it is not easy. No employer has ever openly said anything about my foreign degree, but it has most likely played a part in not getting a job sooner.

My advice is:

1. Get a couple standard recommendation letters from professors or co-workers, signed, dated and contact info from English speaking references. Much to my surprise my former supervisors has been contacted repeatedly. In my country references were not as improtant that in the US. And even a foreign one is better than none.

2. I am unsure how his transcript will look like but mine had all the classes listed bilingual and even a section describing the skills accumulated. You need to have a translated one ready just in case. I did not need to evaluate mine. when I was looking into going back to school the college also would have done the equivalation in house, so before you spend the money on it make sure you will need it. I got asked for my transcript by the interviewer and I always had it on me next to my CV if needed.

3. Temp agencies are great to put your feet through the door. That is how I got my job. started out on a term contract and now I am full time, exempt. Companies will be more willing to hire an immigrant this way because it is less risk for them.

4. Research the area figure out what type of industry you have here. Defense and gov. jobs are almost imposible at first but it doesn't hurt to try, He will need to emphasize and change his resume based on each job listing, list relevant skills. Get his English in good shape and persevere.

Good luck and hope this was usefull

-Met in Ghana August 2011

-Went back to Ghana April 2012

-Went back to Ghana December 2012

-Married to the man God created just for me on January 4th, 2013.

-Filed the CR-1 in February 2013

-Petition Transfered from National Benefits Center to Texas Service Center October 2013

-Petition APPROVED January 2014 (*Took 10 Months 19 Calendar Days)

-Case Number/Invoice Identification Number Assigned February 2014 (*Took 33 Calendar Days)

-Approved Interview May 2014

-Arrival May 2014

Now, We are Prayerfully taking everything 1 day at a time. Thanking God for his blessings and grace.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.