torontogal4388

Got Interview date... how to project timing now?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, I just received an email and Interview Date letter late today at work.

June 28th - 8:00 a.m. YEEHAW!!

So I got questions. How do you try to project when to give notice for at work? plan for a move, etc. This date is roughly 2 weeks before my one year wedding anniversary. Would so love to be with my husband for good by July 16th. Can anyone give me some sense of timing on all of this?

One day at a time and pray like crazy!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Can a moderator remove my thread. Didn't realize it was not the right place to be posting. Sorry to bore everyone. Have total respect for this forum.

One day at a time and pray like crazy!

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don;t know if you still want answers but sound advice is to not count your chickens before they hatch. There have been people here who merrily give notice for the day after their interview only to find they're not approved due to additional evidence needed or something which cannot be foreseen ahead of time.

I personally gave my 2 weeks notice as soon as I got back from Montreal (even though it was for about 3 weeks hence. I was poised to execute everything (so to speak)as soon as I had an approval including apartment notice, utilities etc.

I had been packing up my apartment, my boss knew what was happening so everything went smoothly.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Hard to say! Some people get their visas in the mail ASAP, others it takes awhile.

And then throw in--have u ever lived in, or from 1 of the countries that doesn't get along with the USA---if so, you may be put into AP (I just mention that as its happened that posters forget to mention that piece of info,lol) best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

You can post whatever you want in the Canada forum! No need to move the thread unless you want to.

Personally, I waited until I received the visa in the mail. But my boss totally lost it on me. She was mad because I didn't tell her my intentions to move soon. I gave her 4 weeks notice, but apparently that was not enough! I was a college student working part time at Tim Hortons... yeesh. So anyways, I told her to kiss my you-know-what :)

But I planned on moving 6 weeks after I received the visa, so I had some more time. Still, I would wait until I knew I was approved before leaving your job.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i say you give your notice 4 weeks AFTER having the visa packet in hand.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I let my boss know that my resignation would be coming up but didn't know when yet since it was dependent on the visa. When I got the visa in hand after the interview, I gave my one month notice on my apartment and requested permission to stay another week and pay for that week (which my landlord agreed) and gave a 5 week notice to my employer so he could hire my replacement and I could train her before I left. I would not give notice until you have the visa in hand even if it does mean missing your 1st anniversary by a few days. There are too many things that can happen and you don't want to be left high and dry without a job or place to live due to unforeseen delays.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I just wanted to add my 2cents here and say that with all the data and ####### that is required and all the checks and balances that they should have in place (for background checks and stuff) throughout this whole process, I would hope that (in my case anyway) this should be as easy as getting a rubber stamp. I can understand the need for the interview and the grilling that some people may get because obviously some do try and do this just for citizenship....but honestly having been married 20 yrs to my usc wife and dragging the kids with us, selling our home and leaving our jobs here...This is not something we have taken lightly, but are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to start a new life South of the border. In my case we have no skeletons in the closet, and we have jumped through all the necessary hoops to get to the interview stage of this game. It really should be a simple process at this stage and some J-hole who is having a bad day better not mess it up for us.

Other than our immediate family, we have kept our intentions on the down low with our employers and even our neighbors are going to freak when they find out we are selling the house and leaving. Our jobs here aren't what we consider career establishing/management type/pulling in big dough type of jobs. So yeah my boss can suck it

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't formally give notice until you physically have your visa and have inspected it- sometimes people's names are mispelled or someone else's visa is glued in their passport. The consular officers are human and make mistakes :( Personally I let my boss know what was up when I first started the process and when my interview got close I told him my resignation would be conditional. I worked a casual job at a coffee shop with a cool boss so it wasn't a problem.

Hugglebuggles: that's hilarious. I worked at Tim Horton's once and they acted like that job was supposed to be your whole life. :rolleyes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.